Book Recommendations

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Richard James

Re: Book Recommendations

Post by Richard James » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:49 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: Well, the person I was teaching was much more mature, and had got to grips with calculation, but often struggled to think of things to do. I hoped that by showing the player openings, and telling them a plan in it, they would help to overcome that problem. Armed with a plan, the player seemed to do better. Often, I would be asked for advice on games after the opening, because although pieces were developed and the player had castled, the player wouldn't know what to do, i.e. how best to continue. This, allied with the fact that sometimes there would be some sort of mini-disaster on f7, led me to suggesting ...e6.
OK - you're talking about someone older and stronger than the primary school players I was thinking about, but if they've really got to grips with calculation should they be losing to tactics on f7? Use a CCTV to look at the chessboard. Checks, Captures, Threats and Violence, or, if you don't like violence, Checks, Captures and Threats lead to Victory.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:22 am

Richard James wrote:if they've really got to grips with calculation should they be losing to tactics on f7?
No, they shouldn't. The player sees tactics and things decently later in the game, but just struggles in the opening for some reason.

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:38 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:I would like to know of any recommendations for books, which aim to teach the rudiments of tactics, strategy, openings and endgames to novices, whilst assuming that the reader already knows how the pieces move. Written in language accessible to well read children of the age 10 - 13, say. Can anyone help?
1) Simple Checkmates, by Tony Gillam
2) Manual of Chess Combinations 1a and 1b
3) How to Beat Your Dad at Chess, by Murray Chandler
4) The Art of the Checkmate, by Renaud and Kahn (which I suspect Chandler borrowed from)

These cover simple tactics and simple mating patterns. For endgames one book I like is

5) Chess Endgames, by Laszlo Polgar (I think this book is out of print. It weighs more than a phone directory. And If you manage to get hold of a copy, guard it with your life.)

Another book is

6) Silman's Complete Endgame Course, by Jeremy Silman

There are one or two others that have been published by Gambit.

Forget about strategy and openings at the novice stage. It's basic tactics, mating patterns, and endings that are vital. Opening advice should be restricted to telling players to get their pieces out fast and the importance of open files and diagonals. And talk of strategy can only take place once the tactics have been mastered to some extent.

Peter Rhodes

Post by Peter Rhodes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:23 am

Have you considered creating some simple chess puzzles in Chessbase (there is a feature to do so).

If they have a PC at home, they can download Chessbase Lite for free and then proceed to attempt to solve the puzzles you have set.

On a side note - I think learning chess is mostly down to learning and memorizing patterns, which puzzles can help with enormously.
Chess Amateur.