Poll: Is the ECF doing a good job?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Is the ECF doing a good job?

Poll ended at Wed May 31, 2017 9:42 pm

Yes
53%
No
47%

Total votes: 43

NickFaulks

Re: Poll: Is the ECF doing a good job?

Post by NickFaulks » Thu May 25, 2017 8:21 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:When you say ECF, do you mean Council, the board, the federation as a whole or another definition?
and compared to what?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Fri May 26, 2017 11:13 am

NickFaulks wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:When you say ECF, do you mean Council, the board, the federation as a whole or another definition?
and compared to what?
For example, compared to other European countries like Germany and France: similar population, similar economy, but very different financials for the national federation and very different number of members and FIDE rated players.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri May 26, 2017 11:37 am

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:
and compared to what?
For example, compared to other European countries like Germany and France: similar population, similar economy, but very different financials for the national federation and very different number of members and FIDE rated players.
I'd been hoping for an answer from Paul as he started the poll but in the absence of that I guess any other answers will do.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri May 26, 2017 11:42 am

Well Paolo's told us one way of interpreting the question. No clue as to the answer, however!

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Fri May 26, 2017 12:20 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:Well Paolo's told us one way of interpreting the question. No clue as to the answer, however!
The clue is in the comparison... just match the ECF against the German and French federations in terms of financials, number of members, number of FIDE rated members and so on... you can't help wondering whether English chess players should expect better from their federation.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri May 26, 2017 12:45 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
Michael Farthing wrote:Well Paolo's told us one way of interpreting the question. No clue as to the answer, however!
The clue is in the comparison... just match the ECF against the German and French federations in terms of financials, number of members, number of FIDE rated members and so on... you can't help wondering whether English chess players should expect better from their federation.
That doesn't answer the question of what is meant by the "ECF" though. It could mean members, council, board all three or some other definition. It may even mean the "English Chess Forum" :wink:

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri May 26, 2017 12:50 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote: you can't help wondering whether English chess players should expect better from their federation.
Or vice-versa?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Fri May 26, 2017 12:52 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Paolo Casaschi wrote:
That doesn't answer the question of what is meant by the "ECF" though. It could mean members, council, board all three or some other definition. It may even mean the "English Chess Forum" :wink:
Sure, but at the same time you can argue that at all levels (members, middle and top management) our French and German counterparts share the credit for the much better results. And I'm confident their member forum is better as well ;-) with fewer grumpy complainers.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri May 26, 2017 1:11 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote: ....with fewer grumpy complainers.
English chess players aren't grumpy, are they? :shock:

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri May 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote: And I'm confident their member forum is better as well ;-) with fewer grumpy complainers.
Really? My impression is that the French federation's infighting makes our debates here look quite mild.

And then there's the Irish.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri May 26, 2017 1:54 pm

So if I get Paolo correctly he is saying that a good federation has more players with FIDE grades, more members and more money.
Boils down to saying that Barclays is a better bank than the Cumberland Building Society because it is bigger. I'm still glad I've moved from the former to the latter, however.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Fri May 26, 2017 2:56 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:So if I get Paolo correctly he is saying that a good federation has more players with FIDE grades, more members and more money.
Boils down to saying that Barclays is a better bank than the Cumberland Building Society because it is bigger. I'm still glad I've moved from the former to the latter, however.
My reply to this very awkward comment, it looks like you are suggesting the ECF is doing a good job by keeping chess small in England (compared to our neighbors), making sure there's no money for chess in England and that you'll never play against anyone under the age of 40 in any of your future leagues games ;-)

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri May 26, 2017 3:00 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
My reply to this very awkward comment, it looks like you are suggesting the ECF is doing a good job by keeping chess small in England (compared to our neighbors), making sure there's no money for chess in England and that you'll never play against anyone under the age of 40 in any of your future leagues games ;-)
:lol:

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Fri May 26, 2017 3:01 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Paolo Casaschi wrote: And I'm confident their member forum is better as well ;-) with fewer grumpy complainers.
Really? My impression is that the French federation's infighting makes our debates here look quite mild.
The comment about the forum is obviously a joke. Instead, the difference in strength between the ECF and the French/German federations and their positive impact on chess in their respective countries seems very real to me.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri May 26, 2017 3:18 pm

English chess players don't want to pay much to the federation, and to some extent get the federation they pay for; government support has been withdrawn, and local authorities don't support chess any more (I've been to chess events in Town Halls in Rochdale, Bolton, Bury & Manchester, but they now charge too much to host anything)

What's the situation in France & Germany?
Any postings on here represent my personal views