Travelliing to Llandudno

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Lee Bullock

Travelliing to Llandudno

Post by Lee Bullock » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:56 pm

I have had a look on the forum but cant seem to see any threads about this.

I normally like to travel on my own and believe it or not can be very untalkative and shy. So dont like to be trapped in a small space unless I know the people of course. But this year I am really struggling to find decent travel prices.

I totally refuse to pay £85 ish pounds for a return to Llandudno by train. The coach is not much better and only saves £10/15 pounds or so. And cant find a return coach coming back on the Monday 7th August anyway.
But the travel time by coach is over 9 hours. Do not fancy that at all.

So thought a thread on maybe a car share idea or people joining up to travel to save costs. Of course I am willing to pay towards petrol to help anybody out.

I am from North London Area but willing to travel to anyone in London or on the outskirts to then make our way to the British.

Of course anyone from other parts of the UK maybe post in here to find people to maybe join up with to save costs for everyone.

Thanks in advance anyone. :)
2013/2014 and 16/17 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015 and 2016 Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.

MartinCarpenter

Re: Travelliing to Llandudno

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:01 pm

That train pricing actually sounds quite reasonable for the length of journey involved - its a long way from London!

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:08 pm

I have paid far less in the past for journeys much further. For some reason it is just coming up much more expensive than usual. And when you consider you can fly to much of Europe for less than £40 I think its crazy.

As I said this is just to try and save people money also. I am sure the petrol costs must also be huge for 1 single person.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:16 pm

Lee Bullock wrote: I totally refuse to pay £85 ish pounds for a return to Llandudno by train.
Take a look at buying more than one ticket. Euston to Crewe and Crewe to Llandudno seem to add up to about two thirds of the Euston to LLandudno price with the odd cheap deal on trains at unfavourable times.

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:50 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Lee Bullock wrote: I totally refuse to pay £85 ish pounds for a return to Llandudno by train.
Take a look at buying more than one ticket. Euston to Crewe and Crewe to Llandudno seem to add up to about two thirds of the Euston to Llandudno price with the odd cheap deal on trains at unfavourable times.

Wow Roger I owe you a drink! :) That has just saved me over £40.

But after I made a mistake on the booking coming back from Llandudno to Crewe I cost myself £10 :(

Put the wrong time and thought I was booking from Llandudno to Crewe but it was Crewe to Euston.

So I now have a ticket from Crewe to Euston I dont need.

If anybody wants this for free let me know. its Crewe 11.02am - Euston 13.50pm. on Monday 7th August.

Free but if we meet in the Chess an any time you must let me win :)

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:02 pm

I sorted my transport today. It was a bit complicated because after finishing on the Friday afternoon I need to leg it to Newcastle for a Manic Street Preachers concert the next day but that's nothing to do with chess. Booked a self catering apartment this year after spending a fortune eating out in Bournemouth.

One more day at work and then I can start getting ready in earnest.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Dewi Jones

Post by Dewi Jones » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:18 pm

Can I just turn up tomorrow and enter a weekender?

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:29 pm

Ought to have bought months in advance for cheaper rates. Virgin west coast main is probably the most expensive. Coach deals cheap in advance but not a great way to travel. Sorting out lifts months in advance is generally best.

I was going to enjoy my first British Championship and combine a holiday with walking very slowly on the welsh 15 3000 foot mountains. But South West trains put a stop to that by announcing 3 weeks engineering works and no sensible rush hour service. So that's half my annual leave. A week off for the London Chess Classic will be my fix.

Hope you all enjoy and if not doing short walk with a view - you will be missing the highlight of Llllllanduddno.

Best wishes and post some games.

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:51 pm

Luckily Nick Roger helped me out telling me about a little trick of buying tickets for just 1 journey rather than the whole thing.

Neville Belinfante

Post by Neville Belinfante » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:16 pm

TRAVEL ALERT

If anyone is considering using the A41 between the M54 jn 3 and Chester, please be aware that the road is closed between the A5 junction just past the M54 and the A518 junction just outside Newport, Shropshire. There is a 15 minute detour via Telford.

I found this out last night as I was staying with relatives in Newport, and am travelling up to Llandudno later this afternoon.