2017 World Cup 2-27 September, Tbilisi

The very latest International round up of English news.
Steven DuCharme

Re: 2017 World Cup 2-27 September, Tbilisi

Post by Steven DuCharme » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:57 pm

three lll in folllow :)
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:16 pm

The Chess.com twitter feed shows a picture of Kovalyev just about to get into a taxi. He wore the same shorts in rounds 1&2 but the Chief Arbiter only noticed them today, 10 minutes before the start, because of the reduced number of players. Apparently Kovalyev didn't have anything else to change into. Unbelievable.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:18 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Back at the chess, Carlsen is a piece up but Bu Xiangzhi looks to have sufficient compensation.
Not sure about that, but judging by the clocks MC is a bit rattled.
Looks as though MC and CK both understood the position better than I did.

Although Bu does curiously seem to have let it slip at move 29 (not that Magnus saw it). Can't say I blame him as the winning manoeuvre was a pretty odd one with the king shuffling round some queen checks.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:41 pm

David Robertson wrote:A big test of Carlsen's temperament tomorrow. He's been known to beat himself up severely after a bad loss. If he reacts badly again, we may have a character flaw to chew over, not to mention a shock
Alternatively if he pulls it out of the fire tomorrow, he might be fancied to win the whole thing.

It is going to be an eagerly awaited game that's for sure......
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:45 pm

I wonder if Bu's nerves will stand the test as well. If he gets one of those sort of positions where Carlsen can grind away, does Bu have the defensive tenacity of someone like, say, Karjakin?

And Aronian's win means that the live rating gap is down to 23 points (a swing of 10.5 due to those two games). If Carlsen crashes out and Aronian keeps winning, who knows what might happen?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:08 pm

Talking of nerves, either Navara already knew how to hold that or he has some pretty strong nerves himself.

Four (for some reason I originally wrote three) decisive results out of sixteen ain't many.

Winners: Aronian, So, Bu and Azmai.

Draws with 100+ rating differences: Lenderman against Vachier-Lagrave, Sethuraman against Giri, Najer against Caruana. The latter two were with the Black pieces, which you'd think would make a big difference although the experience of the previous round was that the lower-rated players tended to take the draw with White for rating points and head for the rapidplay.

Draws with Black against slightly smaller rating differences: Rapport against Li, Vidit against Ding, Fedoseev against Nakamura, Jobava against Nepo, Navara against Grischuk. Most of which, before of the individuals concerned, look like our games to watch for the second round (with Bu-Carlsen of course).
Last edited by JustinHorton on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:And Aronian's win means that the live rating gap is down to 23 points (a swing of 10.5 due to those two games). If Carlsen crashes out and Aronian keeps winning, who knows what might happen?
Long way to go yet :wink:

Though to be fair Magnus is actually +0.5 for the WC so far, and Aronian is the only other 1 of the world top 25 to have gained rating points; the other 21 playing at the WC have all lost points

The big swing today was So gaining 5 points on Kramnik in the race for the 2 rating spots for the Candidates

Not sure live ratings after game 1 of 2 in any round are that relevant

Either the format, or simply playing non-elite players, seem to indicate rating losses are likely
Any postings on here represent my personal views

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:32 pm

From Susan Polgar's site:

https://chessdailynews.com/official-sta ... -incident/

Astonishing, if true.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Oh, boy! This will keep the bloggers busy for weeks. Only on Planet Chess - and with a cartoon villain thrown in for good measure
Last edited by David Robertson on Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:47 pm

If there's witnesses who can corroborate that, Azmai should be out. Racial abuse should mean you're out, I think that's straightforward.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:57 pm

"Racial abuse should mean you're out, I think that's straightforward."

Agreed. Racial abuse used to be banned by FIDE I believe? Maybe it still is.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:02 pm

JustinHorton wrote:If there's witnesses who can corroborate that, Azmai should be out. Racial abuse should mean you're out, I think that's straightforward.
"should" - but this being FIDE...

Wild speculation, but Kovalyov seemed to have the word "short" on his t-shirt, with some other words that aren't clear in the picture I've seen. Maybe Azmai objected to some reference to Nigel.....

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:04 pm

Since he was involved in the original Nigel Short incident, he might even have thought the whiole thing was a way of winding him up. Not that we would think this relevant given the seriousness of the allegation against him.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:06 pm

JustinHorton wrote:If there's witnesses who can corroborate that, Azmai should be out.
Having a fight with a Spanish security guard in 2004 doesn't seem to have counted against him.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:09 pm

I was highly sympathetic to Kolyabov until he tried to make it racial. People say things about Canadians, get used to it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.