AGM Agenda and papers published

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Michael Farthing

Re: AGM Agenda and papers published

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:28 pm

Direct member reps don't have direct access to the membership Email list and I feel that this is proper. The possibility of either abuse or over-use (which is a form of abuse) is too high. If I want to Email silver members it is done for me by the office and typically amounts to a before and after mailing at each Council meeting. Obviously I am contactable by PM here and I can be Emailed directly from the ECF site. This happens occasionally - sometimes by members simply wanting a bit of advice or information, which I regard as perfectly acceptable.

I have considered the possibility of a silver member closed forum but my experience with this sort of thing is that perhaps only a quarter of people feel comfortable with it and a lot fewer would be ready to log on with reasonable regularity. Those people would probably contact me directly or perhaps already use this site. I'm ready to reconsider it but am not convinced it would be useful.

[Edit: John Upham post came in as I was writing this. I'm a bit surprised he should need to ask the question! What has happened to his secret friend "Shallow Throat"]

[Edit 2: For clarification: I have never been restricted in sending Emails out . I have always rung Gary or Andrew at the office and asked if a mailing is reasonable and they have always said 'yes'. I suppose if I tried one a week at some point they would have to start saying 'no' or get a director to do that for them].

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:32 pm

I would not mind personally if Angus or any of the member reps had our Gold membership vote.
I'm not even sure what category I will be and will probably sign up in a few weeks.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:45 pm

The Board Report and Strategic statement have now appeared.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... -2017.docx
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... -2017.docx

The April meeting showed that progress in this area is a Turkeys and Christmas issue, but in the medium to longer term a statement such as
Our core activities will continue to be funded through membership fees.
is unsustainable when those setting the membership fees and exerting control over the organisation are not those who are required to pay the membership fees.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:04 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: but in the medium to longer term a statement such as
Our core activities will continue to be funded through membership fees.
is unsustainable when those setting the membership fees and exerting control over the organisation are not those who are required to pay the membership fees.
In general I agree, but you have to admit that the Board supported the very change in voting structure which might have challenged this approach.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:18 pm

what papers are missing
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:44 pm

John Reyes wrote:what papers are missing
You seem to have to reverse engineer it from the Agenda. In previous years I think there will have been a place-holder.

Is the other candidate for non-exec intending to produce a statement? If so, that's missing.

Otherwise it would be a set of accounts and something on rewards from Paul Bielby. But there might be more.