A demand for the Presidents resignation.

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Philpott

Re: A demand for the Presidents resignation.

Post by John Philpott » Sat May 10, 2008 12:51 am

To answer Neil's question, an EGM can be convened under section 368 of the Companies Act 1985 by requisitionists holding at least 10% of the voting power at Council. If I am adding up the figures on the last voting register correctly, there were 266 votes out there at the time of the Finance Council meeting, less one which I disallowed for non-payment of affiliation fee.

I look forward to seeing you in Sawtry later today Neil, and to be able to concentrate for the afternoon just on playing chess.

Charles - it is John not Phil.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sat May 10, 2008 12:55 am

John Philpott wrote:To answer Neil's question, an EGM can be convened under section 368 of the Companies Act 1985 by requisitionists holding at least 10% of the voting power at Council. If I am adding up the figures on the last voting register correctly, there were 266 votes out there at the time of the Finance Council meeting, less one which I disallowed for non-payment of affiliation fee.

I look forward to seeing you in Sawtry later today Neil, and to be able to concentrate for the afternoon just on playing chess.

Charles - it is John not Phil.
Sorry, as I was totally deaf until I was 9 I get names wrong. I missed some milestones. But John you are now John. Sorry. Thank you for making that clear, John.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Sat May 10, 2008 10:01 am

>>The chess analogy would be a "retired" IM or GM. I think you would reduce the duties of the President to a non-executive role and leave running of the ECF to the CEO, the paid staff and the other directors. It is normal practice in public companies to have a non-exec board chairman.<<

Hmmmm, how about Ray Keene?

(Anything to stop the Andrew Martin bandwagon!)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat May 10, 2008 10:41 am

Mike Gunn wrote:>>The chess analogy would be a "retired" IM or GM. I think you would reduce the duties of the President to a non-executive role and leave running of the ECF to the CEO, the paid staff and the other directors. It is normal practice in public companies to have a non-exec board chairman.<<

Hmmmm, how about Ray Keene?

(Anything to stop the Andrew Martin bandwagon!)
Perhaps one ought to recall such alleged events as :

http://www.chesscenter.com/kingpin/Kingpin/raylevy.htm :oops:

I assume your suggestion was posted on April 1st with some lag... :)
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Sat May 10, 2008 10:53 am

You guessed right, John.

Andrew Martin would get my personal vote as President, but I'm guessing he doesn't he doesn't have enough time what with writing books, making videos along with all the other excellent things he does.

For CEO I would vote for anyone who promises not to resign if he thinks he may not get his own way ...

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson » Sat May 10, 2008 11:46 am

Charles W. Wood wrote: Hi Ernie

I was brought up on a council estate, and I know more fuzz than most in the chess world :wink: . A pig never asks a question unless he (or she) has a reason, so why did you ask, be honest? You know theres something, spill. I know you used to say that.

BTW I'm on the police funding committee but do not tell Calderdale Council. Cops are Cops and I still can run real quick. :D
Tut Tut Charles - you should hang your head in shame dear boy!

Is GW still calling you? That might explain some things!

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sat May 10, 2008 11:54 am

Hi Ernie

Sorry mate it was in bad taste, the Boys in Blue I play football with are a bit on that side of humour. I meant it tongue in cheek, no offense meant. Please understand that I totally take it back. :oops:
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sat May 10, 2008 11:56 am

Steve Henderson wrote:
Charles W. Wood wrote: Hi Ernie

I was brought up on a council estate, and I know more fuzz than most in the chess world :wink: . A pig never asks a question unless he (or she) has a reason, so why did you ask, be honest? You know theres something, spill. I know you used to say that.

BTW I'm on the police funding committee but do not tell Calderdale Council. Cops are Cops and I still can run real quick. :D
Tut Tut Charles - you should hang your head in shame dear boy!

Is GW still calling you? That might explain some things!
We spoke yesterday, as I did with Peter Wilson, the Office, and five of the sponsors, and 20 of the entrants to the tourny on Sunday I'm running. Gerry is not as rude as that is he, I never seen it.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Sat May 10, 2008 1:26 pm

Charles W. Wood wrote:Hi Ernie

Sorry mate it was in bad taste, the Boys in Blue I play football with are a bit on that side of humour. I meant it tongue in cheek, no offense meant. Please understand that I totally take it back. :oops:
Please don't get to the point were for the first time I have to step in and moderate
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Mon May 12, 2008 11:56 pm

Administrator wrote:
Charles W. Wood wrote:Hi Ernie

Please don't get to the point were for the first time I have to step in and moderate
I did say sorry, and meant it. And left it on to show that I'm as daft as most. :D

I hope that every sees I am human.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion