Random musing - scoresheet design

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Richard Bates

Random musing - scoresheet design

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:24 pm

Why do almost score sheets produced* (in England anyway) still include a line for recording the "Opening". I say "still" but I struggle to see that it ever served a purpose, so the word is probably redundant to the question. Does anyone ever even fill it in, let alone do so for any reason?

*i think the revolutionaries organising the 4ncl have long since committed the heresy of doing away with them on their bespoke spreadsheets, but they're still the only exception I've seen.

Roger de Coverly

Re: Random musing - scoresheet design

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:35 pm

Richard Bates wrote:Why do almost score sheets produced* (in England anyway) still include a line for recording the "Opening". .
I think it's mostly the "Chess & Bridge" produced ones, as at least some of the smaller suppliers omit it. You could argue the need for a diagram as well, but there are still leagues with either or both of adjournments or adjudications.

Old Chess Sutton Coldfield scoresheets from the 1960s don't have "Opening" on them.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:51 pm

I usually fill my space in (same with my scorebooks) even if its only with an ECO code :)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:35 pm

Richard Bates wrote:Why do almost score sheets produced* (in England anyway) still include a line for recording the "Opening".
I find it useful as a space in which to record the time control, which really is a matter of interest.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:36 pm

Good point, I have never used it and always thought it a peculiar addition.

IanCalvert

Post by IanCalvert » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:51 pm

My "New In Chess" scorebooks do not have an opening field.

I assume German scorebooks and scoresheets follow the Dutch ?! :)

In a Bronowski match (Insurance v Banks,27/3/2017) played at Standard Chartered a small picture of the great man was included at the top of the scoresheet.

i can't help wondering what was the design of the most eccentric, English scoresheet ever? :)

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:11 pm

If playing a Surrey League game you could record the 2 offers from the away player and the one accepted at the start of the game. Would help with possible dispute at the time control.
Or record "would you like a drink"?
I think I last used it in a scorebook in the mid 70s when I was playing for my school. I also later added the odd congress to the scorebook leaving blank pages until I played through the game and re-recorded it. I believe there was the odd strange comment.

Jacques Parry

Post by Jacques Parry » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:37 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:Old Chess Sutton Coldfield scoresheets from the 1960s don't have "Opening" on them.
My first scorebook did, and that must have been 1962 or thereabouts (the Sutton Coldfield outfit attracted young customers by offering schools half-price subscriptions to the magazine). I remember filling in things like "French Defence (by transposition)" and being rather proud of knowing both the concept of transposition and the word for it.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:58 am

Am trying to remember some of the more exotic scoresheet designs I have seen. Some of us keep scoresheets for a long time... Am tempted to have a look and see how many different designs I have used. over the years! There may be better uses of the time though. :wink:

Even have a couple of scoresheet designs from other countries. My recollection is that these tend to be more likely to have a space for the rating of the players.

Maybe some of the chess collectors have collections. Certainly cheaper and takes up less room. You'd need two copies of each - one used and one unused. Carbon copy scoresheets would be a pain.

World championship scoresheets would be very collectible and worth something.

I wonder what the oldest exant scoresheet design is?

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:19 am

I always fill in that box but never with the name of the opening!

At my club we use the Chess & Bridge score sheets and I find that when playing in one of the local league matches there is not enough space on the Event line to record all of the details (name of the Home team, name of the Away team, name of the competition). I therefore use the Opening line as well, since it is about twice the length.

I use the unlabeled box on the right-hand side to record the board number.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:23 am

When I "designed" the scoresheets for Hampstead I dropped the diagram as nobody I knew seemed to use them (except players in the London League).

The field for the Opening also seemed like a waste of space so I dropped that too! You need lots of space to write moves though... to encourage legibility.

http://chesscircuit.blogspot.co.uk/2015 ... s-for.html
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:14 pm

I always find the extra space useful to note down the time control. Every league or tournament seems to have different conditions.