Resigners...

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Steven DuCharme

Resigners...

Post by Steven DuCharme » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:18 pm

should lose fewer rating points than those who wait for mate. :mrgreen:
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

NickFaulks

Re: Resigners...

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:38 pm

It sounds as though you would like a doubling cube in chess, which is indeed an interesting idea.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:20 am

Steven DuCharme wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:18 pm
should lose fewer rating points than those who wait for mate. :mrgreen:
Apart from those who resign a move or two before a beautiful finish to stop the opponent and spectators enjoying it.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:43 am

I remember playing a game where I decided to let my opponent complete his elegant mating combination and he rewarded me by delaying the finish while he set about mopping up my remaining material!

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:51 pm

... never won anything. On more than a few occasions I have considered resigning only to somehow end up winning/drawing. One particular example that sticks in my memory is in a rapidplay tournament against a strong junior feeling like I was being wiped off the board, when I spotted what I thought thought was a freeing/simplifying tactic which actually made their entire position collapse.

I personally don't have a problem with people who refuse to resign; while I do agree it is rather disrespectful to continue in an otherwise hopeless position; the object of chess is checkmate, so if they want to insist on it, then you can't complain.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:16 am

I don't see anything wrong with sticking my hand out, if you can see the loss is inevitable and yet some ways away (particularly if its the last round of a congress, or a dead of winter league match in middle of nowhere) But if you've let it get as far as a mating combo, its only proper to let them finish it.

I'm sure they teach juniors never to resign, on more than one occasion I've managed to queen a pawn, as well as been pieces and pawns up and they are still playing on trying to manufacture stalemate - that's the ones who didn't wipe me off the board of course ;-)
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:51 am

I read somewhere (I think it was The Chess Scene by Levy and Reuben but may be wrong) that sometimes when players fail to resign in an absolutely hopeless position it's because they are trying to get over the shock of losing.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:57 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:51 am
I read somewhere (I think it was The Chess Scene by Levy and Reuben but may be wrong) that sometimes when players fail to resign in an absolutely hopeless position it's because they are trying to get over the shock of losing.
I'm usually more shocked when I manage to win Andrew :wink:
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:21 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:51 am
I'm sure that is true. Another reason would be if a crowd of vultures has gathered to watch the resignation and the player decides to wait until they have got bored and gone away.

Anthony Taglione

Post by Anthony Taglione » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:49 pm

People resign only when the pain of playing on in a position exceeds the agony of accepting defeat.