Xenophobic abuse in British chess in the post-Brexit world

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul McKeown

Xenophobic abuse in British chess in the post-Brexit world

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:59 am

A good friend and colleague of mine, a Romanian, was on the receiving end of this, two days ago
Ah another thick immigrant I see learn the language second thoughts don't bother you will be gone with Brexit bye bye bye
You will be fine when we send you home bye bye
It's called being English, we don't want you here fuckoff. At least I can f**king spell you illiterate f**king parasite.
And much, much more, too much to be worth quoting.

This was from an online account called mate2mate on chess.com. The playing strength of mate2mate would indicate a strong club player.

Does anyone know who this unpleasant ape might be?

Has anyone had any experience of such racist, or xenophobic abuse, apparently related to Brexit, either online or in the real world?

Roger Lancaster

Re: Xenophobic abuse in British chess in the post-Brexit world

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:12 am

That's appalling. Any possibility of referring the matter to chess.com? I suppose we have to accept, reluctantly, that chess players are representative of the general population in including a minority with the mindset indicated in those messages.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:17 am

That was my advice, too. The matter has now been referred to chess.com, but whether they do anything about it remains to be seen.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:20 pm

Lest we forget, the season of peace and goodwill towards all men is almost upon us.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Are the comments reported still visible? I can't find them myself, although I have located the account.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:01 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:18 pm
Paul McKeown wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:17 am
That was my advice, too. The matter has now been referred to chess.com, but whether they do anything about it remains to be seen.
Paul McKeown wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:57 pm
I presume he was English, given the invective, but where do those knuckledraggers hide themselves? They obviously exist, of course, as someone has to buy the Daily Express, vote for the BNP, UKIP or whatever, and march with Britain First. What on Earth convinces them that their opinions are worth more than shite on second-hand toilet paper, though?
Lest we forget, Paul McKeown does a good line in this sort of thing himself. Glass houses?
There is not much equivalence, Nick, between personal abuse aimed at an individual on account of his nationality and a derogatory term aimed at no one in particular but just referring to a group on account of their political inclinations.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:18 pm

I faced such abuse from, as I recall, an Egyptian playing on a (different) internet chess site. It was a 'correspondence' game over several months and throughout the game he was adding anti-English insults to the chat box with each of his moves. When the game had finished (I forget the result) he totally surprised me by immediately inviting me to play another game. I came to the conclusion that it was all sledging - but it remained unpleasant, isn't an excuse and I didn't accept the offer of a rematch.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:40 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:18 pm
I faced such abuse from, as I recall, an Egyptian
Those Egyptian Brexiteers are everywhere.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:01 pm
There is not much equivalence ... between personal abuse aimed at an individual on account of his nationality and a derogatory term aimed at no one in particular but just referring to a group on account of their political inclinations.
There is a long established saying that an attack on one is an attack on all.

Isn't the converse equally true?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:08 pm

I don't see how it could be: an attack against all being the same as an attack on one?

Anyway, both sides of the Brexit debate have been calling each other names for a long time now. Millions are on each side and both sides are used to the abuse, if they venture a voice on either side. There is no comparison to anyone approaching and abusing an individual on account of his nationality.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:31 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:08 pm
I don't see how it could be: an attack against all being the same as an attack on one.
So if I shout to the world, "all members of [ choose your population group ] are [ choose your term of abuse ], that's fine.

Whereas if I say to an individual "you are a member of [ that population group ], so you are [ that term of abuse ], that isn't.

I never feel the generation gap more strongly then in discussions like this. When I was brought up, all abuse was wrong and deserving of a clipped ear.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:35 pm

I think a lot of people who experienced it back then might suggest that racist abuse was common: its earning a clipped ear, less so.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:04 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:31 pm
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:08 pm
I don't see how it could be: an attack against all being the same as an attack on one.
So if I shout to the world, "all members of [ choose your population group ] are [ choose your term of abuse ], that's fine.

That's fine?! No, I said it is not the same as picking out an individual, and I have always tied this with the other reasons why there was no equivalence between the two statements you compared earlier.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:08 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:20 pm
Lest we forget, the season of peace and goodwill towards all men is almost upon us.
A couple of posts were removed to keep us on track a little and hopefully to continue this sentiment.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

IanCalvert

Post by IanCalvert » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:56 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:59 am
A good friend and colleague of mine, a Romanian, was on the receiving end of this, two days ago

iMHO

Victims should be reassured by the majority AND perpetrators, whatever their networks, sanctioned publicly.