NCCU CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP 2017-18

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:45 pm

Just seen this on the NCCU website

The NCCU Club Championship will be held during the first half of 2018.

The Sections of the Championship will comprise the following:

Open: Open to all players

Major: Total grading limit (4 players) 680. Average top 2 boards 180

Minor: Total grading limit (4 players) 520. Average top 2 boards 140

Seniors: Open Team Championship

A 4 player team (average age of combined players must be at least 55 years).

If enough teams enter a particular section, there may be a round robin event.

All NCCU and Northern clubs can enter - £10 per team.
A third team entering from the same club would only pay £5
A team comprising three juniors - Free to enter

Winners of each Section to receive an NCCU Trophy and a Digital Clock.

The NCCU Club Rules will be adhered to in particular reference to the following:

◦All players must be ECF Members

◦All teams must be affiliated to a County Association
◦All teams must be members of recognised Chess Clubs
Could you please enter teams by 20th January 2018 (when the draw and rules will be sent to team captains.)

Teams wishing to enter should contact:
Dave Cole
NCCU Club Championship Organiser
email: [email protected]
Tel: 07801718412

Manchester Social Club managed to win both the Open and Major event!!!
but I feel that some people are not fans of us entered in again

◦All players must be ECF Members (most of our players are ecf members)
◦All teams must be affiliated to a County Association (well we are not affiliated as we have set up as a place for people to play chess)
◦All teams must be members of recognised Chess Clubs (well if you are a member of the ECF, you should in theory be a member of a club

any advice?
Could you please enter teams by 20th January 2018 (when the draw and rules will be sent to team captains.)
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Roger de Coverly

Re: NCCU CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP 2017-18

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:17 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:45 pm

◦All teams must be members of recognised Chess Clubs (well if you are a member of the ECF, you should in theory be a member of a club
There are players who only play in the 4NCL and Congresses. I'm not sure how I would identity an unrecognised Chess Club, but perhaps they mean 4NCL squads or even just clubs in Greater Manchester.

The NCCU run this competition in parallel with, or perhaps in opposition to, the ECF's.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:08 pm

It's an utterly pointless event - the most moribund of dead sheep. It's principal function is to give the zombies of the NCCU Committee some reason to exist after all other reasons have been exhausted

Ihor Lewyk

Post by Ihor Lewyk » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:20 pm

Thank you Mr Robertson for your invaluable and positive insight. I’ll be sure to take your calm and reasonable views into consideration when deciding whether to offer to captain a team from my club in the competition.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:42 pm

Indeed, my comment is "calm and reasonable". I have others to help you too.

Look at the facts, the evidence. This event has been all washed up for at least two decades. The clubs don't want it because the players don't want it. The only people who want it are on the NCCU committee. And who do they blame for the absence of any flicker of desire for this husk of an event? Do they blame themselves for not getting to grips with the 'bleedin' obvious'; for trying to breathe life into a dead sheep? Of course they don't! They blame everyone but themselves. They blame the clubs for not supporting it. They tell the clubs to "try harder" to get players to play. The NCCU committee casts about demanding that the playing community performs as instructed. And still, no one gives a flying monkey about the event.

So take a tip, Ihor, from your well-meaning, calm and reasonable colleague, and save yourself a bit of time by knocking this nonsense on the head once and for all. And while you're at it, knock the NCCU on the head too - no one will notice

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:51 pm

It is probably fair to say that the glory days of the NCCU club championship are behind it. However the competition still exists, albeit among a limited pool of clubs, and presumably the players in the teams that do enter enjoy doing so. At the end of the day there aren't that many opportunities for clubs to on other clubs outside their county (excepting the 4NCL but that requires a different level of commitment).

It is probably true that not many people would notice if the NCCU was `knocked on the head`. However in another thread at least one ECF stalwart is suggesting that they should form part of a committee governing the county championships or at least retain their place in nominating competing counties.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Ihor Lewyk

Post by Ihor Lewyk » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:03 pm

What a dedicated committee they must be to keep this unloved and unwanted competition going for over 20 years.
Your inane rhetoric won't dissuade them from continuing to offer competition to those that want it.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:50 pm

Not "dedicated", Ihor, bonkers, a definition of which is doing the same thing repeatedly, and expecting a different result.

But here's a thought: why not do something different; apply some lateral thinking. At the next meeting, agree to suspend all activity by the NCCU for a period of five years. Let it be a trial. If, during that period, a great clamour arises that the NCCU is greatly missed, then you can meet again, and point aggressive fingers at me. I'm likely to be chastened. Of course, I don't mean a great clamour arising from members of the NCCU committee. I mean a great clamour from normal, well-balanced, sober-minded chess players. If no such clamour arises, and if no one notices the difference, then the committee can safely abolish the NCCU, and reconstitute itself as the History of the NCCU Society. That'll give you a reason to meet up now and again; meanwhile, allowing life to proceed apace
Last edited by David Robertson on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:58 pm

I think Ihor is a bit too sane to expect a different result :) Conceivably a few idle hopes.