Refunding Entry Fees to Withdrawn Players

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
J T Melsom

Re: Refunding Entry Fees to Withdrawn Players

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:19 pm

Planning must be tricky though, all set up for a raid on the Saturday at 3 and the match is then switched for TV :(

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:23 pm

Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones famously used to steal musical equipment from the mansions of rock stars who were known to be on tour. I wonder whether this is drifting off topic.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:02 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:12 pm
Out of interest, how do we know that? Did the burglar confess?
I remember watching a feature on the BBC snooker coverage during The Masters one year a while back. They were showing some montage of Finals/winners from history with occasional comments from players.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:49 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:23 pm
Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones famously used to steal musical equipment from the mansions of rock stars who were known to be on tour. I wonder whether this is drifting off topic.
Ah, I think the story is that Steve Jones - and Paul Cook - stole equipment left at Hammersmith Odeon - from Bowie's band and from other bands.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:37 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:02 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
I remember watching a feature on the BBC snooker coverage during The Masters one year a while back. They were showing some montage of Finals/winners from history with occasional comments from players.
Right, but that doesn't actually answer the question.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:41 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:37 pm
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:02 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Right, but that doesn't actually answer the question.
I wish I could recall the piece with that degree of clarity!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:22 pm

Angus French wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:49 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:23 pm
Ah, I think the story is that Steve Jones - and Paul Cook - stole equipment left at Hammersmith Odeon - from Bowie's band and from other bands.
That is one story, but others, which I believe are also true, involve housebreaking.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:19 am

Returning to the original topic:

Obviously different organisers view the matter of refunds differently. So, for one organiser to claim that they are only following the universal practice by not offering refunds can't be accepted because it simply isn't true. What they should say and state in their entry form is that it is THEIR PRACTICE not to give refunds.

In any of my competitions I have no difficulty in returning the full entry fee. Offering refunds (with or without deducting an admin charge) is much appreciated by the player who through this show of good will may more than likely return at a future event.

Players do tend to be apologetic when having to cancel. The number of players that do pull out is very small; typically one or two in an entry of say 150 participants. It doesn't really impact on the financial success of the event because if that number of refunds shouldn't cause the competition to fall into loss,and if it does one has to wonder at the budgeting during its planning.

In the retail sector, a good number of stores allow customers to return goods for exchange, full refund or a credit note for a future purchase.

As noted earlier in the thread, having a no refund policy (if clearly advertised) will cause players to refrain from entering until the last possible minute. That to my mind is a more serious concern to the organiser.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:26 am

"In the retail sector, a good number of stores allow customers to return goods for exchange, full refund or a credit note for a future purchase."

I thought at least some of that was a legal requirement?

As for tournaments, it would be best if the entry form included some sort of policy. In the days of paper, the entry form could become an "entry book", but I guess with everything online, you could add "Terms and Conditions" to the website.

I have to say when I had to withdraw from a tournament some years ago, (giving plenty of notice) it was quite a shock to find my entire entry fee returned.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:27 am

I withdraw from a RP because my depression, and gave them at least a week notice. I was checked my back account last night and saw that my cheque that I wrote, can been paid out.

don't know what to say to the organisers, or how do I get the part or all of the fees back
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:53 am

John Reyes wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:27 am
I withdraw from a RP because my depression, and gave them at least a week notice. I was checked my back account last night and saw that my cheque that I wrote, can been paid out.

don't know what to say to the organisers, or how do I get the part or all of the fees back
I presume you have read this thread; it all depends on the congresses refund policy, contact them personally and see what they are

You may get refund or may not

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:35 pm

Ultimately refunds following withdrawal are at the discretion of the organiser. Also the organiser is under no obligation to be consistent; they may not generally give refunds to discourage people entering and deciding at the last minute they don't want to play but may refund the money of a regular entrant. Personally I never enter an event until I'm sure that I can make the commitment and if I was forced to withdraw I would not expect to see my entry fee again. In all brutal honesty the congress itself is rarely that much money in the grand scheme of things and if it isn't local a player withdrawing at the last minute would also have to cancel accommodation (usually dependent on the terms of the booking) and transport (usually non refundable).

I don't have any fixed view on whether organisers should or shouldn't refund entry fees following withdrawal. What I do have a very strong view on is individuals who don't get the response they want saying that they intend to harass one of the few sponsors English chess has and insist that they provide a refund instead. It reminds me very much of an infamous thread five years ago which was not only removed but which is now unable to be discussed.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:39 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:35 pm
It reminds me very much of an infamous thread five years ago which was not only removed but which is now unable to be discussed.
I am sorry, making such an oblique criticism of a poster's comment or query doesn't carry any weight with me. If there is something that cannot be discussed, presumably for legal reasons, then please don't make reference to it.
"Harass" is rather a strong accusation.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:58 pm

ANNOUNCEMENT

Those players who withdrew from the Northumbria Masters after paying by PayPal, bank transfer or cheque and would like to participate in the 2018 event will be welcome to do so.

Unfortunately, due to the tight budget we are operating on for the first year of the event, we have no surplus to refund the entry fees at this point. You will probably appreciate that any withdrawals in the last month before the tournament made it difficult for us to replace those players.

In all cases of withdrawals, however, players may claim a discount totaling the amount they paid for 2017 entry, minus an administration fee of £10.

I hope this goes some way to satisfying those players who requested a refund.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:17 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:58 pm
ANNOUNCEMENT

Those players who withdrew from the Northumbria Masters after paying by PayPal, bank transfer or cheque and would like to participate in the 2018 event will be welcome to do so.

Unfortunately, due to the tight budget we are operating on for the first year of the event, we have no surplus to refund the entry fees at this point. You will probably appreciate that any withdrawals in the last month before the tournament made it difficult for us to replace those players.

In all cases of withdrawals, however, players may claim a discount totaling the amount they paid for 2017 entry, minus an administration fee of £10.

I hope this goes some way to satisfying those players who requested a refund.
Should 2018 read 2019 and 2017 read 2018? :?