ECF Finance meeting 2018

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Reyes

Re: ECF Finance meeting 2018

Post by John Reyes » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:59 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:30 pm
Reg Clucas wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:47 pm
Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:59 am
C'mon guys, you're better than this. There's this website run by the ECF which contains the following info: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/2018-fin ... l-meeting/
John Reyes is nowhere to be seen on that photograph! - where were you, John? :D
John would be much more formally dressed than that :wink:

I can't tell a lie it was me taking the photo!!
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:57 pm

just seen the agenda and wonder what people though of it?

my views is that I see that the NCCU have put something in, but wonder what the cost that they are talking about?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:22 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:57 pm

my views is that I see that the NCCU have put something in, but wonder what the cost that they are talking about?
I imagine you are referring to this.
Council is asked to consider, and if thought fit, approve the following resolution from Bill O’Rourke (NCCU): “That the Bronze and Silver levels of membership be merged to form a standard membership level”
At the risk of stating the obvious, if the ECF is intending to raise the same amount of money from these classes of membership as before they are merged, this requires increasing the Bronze cost and reducing the Silver cost. But perhaps the proposal is to reduce the Silver cost to the Bronze cost?

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:42 pm

Bill O'Rourke does cheap. So you'll be on the mark there

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:05 am

Barring any unexpected issues I'll be attending the meeting, and acting as one of the 2 Gold Members' Reps.

If any Gold members have any opinions on the agenda items let me know. You can post here, pm me, or some of my other contact details are listed on the websites below.

Also, please do encourage any Gold members who perhaps don't read this Forum to contact me if they have opinions about any items on the agenda.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:56 pm

and the same for me and Michael farthing as Silver members

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:28 pm

We will, of course, be sending Emails to the silver membership

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:45 pm

I think the silver reps jobs are going to be difficult against the bronze members jobs and their members. I'll watch Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory as Michael's colourful clothing is very reminiscent.

Not a lot on the telly but having watched Pulp Fiction yesterday, with some great acting, and Uma.
I'll find some time for Kill Bill Vol 2 for entertainment and making my chess a little bit more aggressive for the rest of the season.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:45 pm

benedgell wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:05 am
If any Gold members have any opinions on the agenda items let me know. You can post here, pm me, or some of my other contact details are listed on the websites below.
There are a few Governance points on the agenda. Unclear to me how these fit in with the Pearce report, and whether the board still actively pursing changes, or just doing periodic administrative updates. So if the opportunity to ask the Chair comes up, please ask.

I am mentioning in your role as a members rep, since my view is the views of players are under-represented in Council.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:05 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:45 pm
I think the silver reps jobs are going to be difficult against the bronze members jobs and their members. I'll watch Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory as Michael's colourful clothing is very reminiscent.

the man got taste!!!

Not a lot on the telly but having watched Pulp Fiction yesterday, with some great acting, and Uma.
I'll find some time for Kill Bill Vol 2 for entertainment and making my chess a little bit more aggressive for the rest of the season.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:22 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:18 am
Can you remind us of the date and time of the meeting?
Thistle City Barbican Hotel, 120 Central Street, Clerkenwell, London EC1V 8DS on Saturday 28th April, starting at 1.30 p.m.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:40 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:22 pm
John Reyes wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:57 pm

I imagine you are referring to this.
Council is asked to consider, and if thought fit, approve the following resolution from Bill O’Rourke (NCCU): “That the Bronze and Silver levels of membership be merged to form a standard membership level”
At the risk of stating the obvious, if the ECF is intending to raise the same amount of money from these classes of membership as before they are merged, this requires increasing the Bronze cost and reducing the Silver cost. But perhaps the proposal is to reduce the Silver cost to the Bronze cost?
The proposal is to merge the 2 at a cost of £20 proposal which is an increase for bronze members and a reduction for silver members

I'm not following
Leagues • When players are upgrading from Bronze to Silver throughout the chess year it causes unnecessary delays which have knock-on effects for League organisers, match captains and club membership secretaries.
At my club, there is absolutely no effect when players upgrade to silver or gold, nor is there to the Manchester League as far as I know; I can see the benefits for Congresses and the ECF office
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:51 pm

I've have checked my diary and have a subsequent engagement on that day.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:52 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:45 pm
benedgell wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:05 am
There are a few Governance points on the agenda. Unclear to me how these fit in with the Pearce report, and whether the board still actively pursing changes, or just doing periodic administrative updates. So if the opportunity to ask the Chair comes up, please ask.
Speaking on the voting register issue, this has nothing whatsoever to do with Pearce. I'm expecting the motion to be quite uncontroversial. It involves an administrative simplification which also makes the allocation of votes to individual Council reps more transparent. It also provides a longer time framework so that Council members can appeal decisions. It is on the agenda this time at my request following taking over the role of voting register officer for the last AGM. Details have been worked out in consultation with Governance and the Board. The other item on the "Governance" section is from the Board and is a routine update of regulations that happen on a regular basis at Council meetings.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:18 pm

Michael, will there be a supporting paper to explain the proposed Voting Register changes? Presumably the proposed changes will also make the voting allocations that much easier to calculate.