Chess is not a sport but a game. So what’s the difference?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Chris Goodall

Re: Chess is not a sport but a game. So what’s the difference?

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:18 am

Alan Walton wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:07 am
Chris Wardle wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:46 am
If you have to take the law of gravity into account, it's a sport.

If you don't, it's a game.
OK I'll bite; everything anybody does takes the law of gravity in account, but in your analogy that means Mo Farah doesn't compete in a sport because he is only running
Running is one of the most gravity-assisted sports there is. Without gravity, pushing upwards off your back foot would just launch you into the air.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:22 am

Well I thought Chris' idea was spot on! Chess, bridge and dominos would be absolutely unchanged on the moon but Mo Farah would have to change technique quite considerably. I suppose, controversially, it makes tiddly-winks and Jenga a sport?

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:25 am

Michael Farthing wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:22 am
Well I thought Chris' idea was spot on! Chess, bridge and dominos would be absolutely unchanged on the moon but Mo Farah would have to change technique quite considerably. I suppose, controversially, it makes tiddly-winks and Jenga a sport?
What I am saying is was gravity affects everything; moving your arm to move a piece has gravity affects; I was think more about sports like golf or throwing activities

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:36 am

Alan Walton wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:25 am
What I am saying is was gravity affects everything; moving your arm to move a piece has gravity affects; I was think more about sports like golf or throwing activities
Astronauts in zero gravity can move their arms.
Michael Farthing wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:22 am
And Subbuteo and Kerplunk and Mikado. Table sports!
Last edited by Chris Goodall on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:41 am

Chris Wardle wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:36 am
Astronauts in zero gravity can move their arms.
This is getting silly; energy is used to move any part of your body to counteract the effects of gravity, lowering/increased the gravity effect will increase or decrease the energy used

Your original point was you have to take the law of gravity into account to be a sport; but gravity affects everything we do, therefore if you are saying playing chess breaches the law of gravity then you are making a sweeping scientific statement

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:50 am

Alan Walton wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:41 am
if you are saying playing chess breaches the law of gravity
No, I'm not. That would be an absurd interpretation of what I said.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:58 am

It wouldnt greatly affect chess if the physical aspect was removed, say you just said the moves out loud and a voice recognition made the move.
Its not the physical mechanics that make chess a sport, but the mental and physical stress that the chess sportsman has to deal with.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:03 am

Nick Burrows wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:58 am
It wouldnt greatly affect chess if the physical aspect was removed, say you just said the moves out loud and a voice recognition made the move.
Its not the physical mechanics that make chess a sport, but the mental and physical stress that the chess sportsman has to deal with.
Computers don't experience mental or physical stress. Are you saying that I'm playing a sport if my chess.com opponent is a real person, but I'm not playing a sport if they're cheating and using a computer?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:41 am

Have you never seen a chessplayer cause a piece to topple over? In Beijing for the World Mind Sports Olympiad that cost Jovanka Houska to lose a game.

When Mo runs he is displacing his body up and down. Ice skating would have been a batter choice.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:56 am

Chris Wardle wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:03 am

Computers don't experience mental or physical stress. Are you saying that I'm playing a sport if my chess.com opponent is a real person, but I'm not playing a sport if they're cheating and using a computer?
Its a sport when 2 people are competing.

Just like when you play table tennis vs a robot or a wall, it is not a sport.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:41 am
Have you never seen a chessplayer cause a piece to topple over? In Beijing for the World Mind Sports Olympiad that cost Jovanka Houska to lose a game.
Irrelevant. If you consider the possibility of knocking pieces over essential to chess, then blind players aren't playing chess.
Stewart Reuben wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:41 am
When Mo runs he is displacing his body up and down. Ice skating would have been a better choice.
Ice skating only works because gravity pushes the skate down onto the ice and melts it.
Nick Burrows wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:56 am
Its a sport when 2 people are competing.

Just like when you play table tennis vs a robot or a wall, it is not a sport.
And in chess you don't necessarily know whether you're playing against another person or against a computer. If that's your definition of a sport then you might think you've taken part in a sport when actually you haven't, because your opponent on the other side of the world was using computer assistance. That strikes me as ridiculous.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:28 pm

And in chess you don't necessarily know whether you're playing against another person or against a computer. If that's your definition of a sport then you might think you've taken part in a sport when actually you haven't, because your opponent on the other side of the world was using computer assistance. That strikes me as ridiculous.
Competitive chess is played in person. Part of the reason for that is to prevent/monitor cheating. The recent experiments with online competition, correspondingly have strong anti-cheating measures.

In any sport, is it really 'sport' if a competitor successfully cheats? Be it with drugs, computer assistance, bribes, bionic hands or whatever...

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:35 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:28 pm
In any sport, is it really 'sport' if a competitor successfully cheats? Be it with drugs, computer assistance, bribes, bionic hands or whatever...
Yes. The alternative would be absurd. If you're an Olympic gold medalist, does it diminish the "sportiness" of your achievement if it turns out the silver medalist was using performance-enhancing drugs? Of course not. It elevates it.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:12 pm

So to recap;

It is "ridiculous" to define chess as a sport because you do not know if your opponent is cheating.

Yet, when your opponent cheats in other sports, it enhances the "sportiness"

After proposing an interesting definition of sport, it turns out that your logic has zero gravity :P

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:21 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:12 pm
So to recap;

It is "ridiculous" to define chess as a sport because you do not know if your opponent is cheating.

Yet, when your opponent cheats in other sports, it enhances the "sportiness"

After proposing an interesting definition of sport, it turns out that your logic has zero gravity :P
Well done, you've spotted the absurdity of your own definition of sport taken to its logical conclusion.