Paignton Congress 2018

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Roger de Coverly

Paignton Congress 2018

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:03 pm

Are the dates for this known?

It's not as if I'm that likely to play, but there's an attempt being made to plan ahead the local AGM and Fixture meetings for the mid-August to mid-September period. A number of the regular attendees also play Paignton, or would like to.

The dates for Torquay, also at the Livermead House Hotel are 9th to 11th November. This clashes with 4NCL weekend 1 for divisions 1, 2 & 3N, but not 3S and 4

Ronnie Burton

Re: Paignton Congress 2018

Post by Ronnie Burton » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:47 pm

Starts Sunday 3 Sept to Saturday 9th Sept.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:24 pm

I think those dates were for last year's Congress, Ronnie. 3rd Sept this year falls on a Monday, so the normal start date would be Sunday September 2nd. I'm currently away from home though, so can't confirm by checking an entry form.

Ronnie Burton

Post by Ronnie Burton » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:25 pm

You are correct Keith - Starts Sunday 2nd Sept with last round on Saturday 8th Sept. Not seen entry form yet.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:56 pm

Ronnie Burton wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:25 pm
Not seen entry form yet.
It would be useful to have confirmation that it's running in the usual date slot.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:43 am

Keith Arkell wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:24 pm
I think those dates were for last year's Congress, Ronnie. 3rd Sept this year falls on a Monday, so the normal start date would be Sunday September 2nd. I'm currently away from home though, so can't confirm by checking an entry form.
Oooh - clashes with British Blitz qualifiers...

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:25 pm

Could be solvable by taking a bye and nipping off to the nearest qualifier to Paignton for the day :-)

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:11 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:43 am
Keith Arkell wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, what is this about?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:11 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:11 pm
Richard Bates wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:43 am
Keith Arkell wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, what is this about?
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/british- ... mpionship/

Ronnie Burton

Post by Ronnie Burton » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:10 pm

Dates for your diary Roger.

DCCA Congress - formerly the Paignton Congress - 2- 9th September 2018 from Chess Devon Website.

Mark Cockerton

Post by Mark Cockerton » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:02 pm

Sorry, about the lack of information on Paignton 2018 so far. This is because there has been a recent change in the organisers of the event. As one of the organisers of the Congress for 2018 I can confirm that it will take place from 2-8th September.

The plan is to get the website, brochure, and entry system in place for the WECU congress, which takes place over Easter.

Yes, unfortunately it does clash with the British blitz championships unless this is running in the evening?

Would it be possible to move the date of the Bristol qualifier back to the 15th September Alex?

Taking a bye in the final round? This obviously raises the issue of entitlement to prizes. This is something we may need to discuss, especially if this proves a deterrent from players entering Paignton.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:23 am

Mark Cockerton wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:02 pm
Would it be possible to move the date of the Bristol qualifier back to the 15th September Alex?
I'm afraid not. It's a matter of organisational human resources, to some extent. The weekend before is likely to be the English Women's Championship, although this is unconfirmed. The weekend after is the UKCC Terafinal; and the weekend after is the Olympiad. It's also the main ECF membership renewal season, so the ECF Office are quite keen to get the Blitz entries out of the way sooner in September rather than later.

The idea of publishing the date as early as we did was so that others could work around it.

Mark Cockerton

Post by Mark Cockerton » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:34 pm

Thanks for the reply. I realise from your point of view it can be difficult to find somewhere convenient to hold a tournament that does not tread on someone's toes. From our point of view, myself and others have only just inherited the Congress. The hotel was already booked for that date and I am not sure it can be changed at this date. Plus, the issue is would we want to change? After all, one of the unique selling points of the congress is people get to come spend a week by the seaside in early September when the weather is often still good. Hold it a week or two later then the weather can potentially become a little more autumnal.

In terms of the championships affecting us. Will it definitely be held in the daytime? and will it have different grading sections?, in which case we may potentially lose players from other than the Open section.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:21 pm

Mark Cockerton wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:34 pm
In terms of the championships affecting us. Will it definitely be held in the daytime? and will it have different grading sections?, in which case we may potentially lose players from other than the Open section.
https://www.englishchess.org.uk/british ... ouncement/

Only the date and places have been announced. The only indication that they will seek entries from any other than a 2200 plus elite field is
The top two female players in each qualifier will qualify for a Women’s Final, held concurrently.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:45 pm

Mark Cockerton wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:34 pm
Thanks for the reply. I realise from your point of view it can be difficult to find somewhere convenient to hold a tournament that does not tread on someone's toes. From our point of view, myself and others have only just inherited the Congress. The hotel was already booked for that date and I am not sure it can be changed at this date. Plus, the issue is would we want to change? After all, one of the unique selling points of the congress is people get to come spend a week by the seaside in early September when the weather is often still good. Hold it a week or two later then the weather can potentially become a little more autumnal.

Yes, it will be held in the daytime; all day, in fact. The qualifiers will have one section with various rating performance prizes in addition to the prizes of qualifying for the Final. The details are being ironed out, but I'm hoping to get more information on the website after Easter.

When I was discussing dates with the various potential qualifier organisers, the 8th September was the only Saturday that was available between all of them. I thought that the date we found might clash with Paignton, but the dates weren't in the calendar. Now I know why.