Chess is not a sport but a game. So what’s the difference?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Reg Clucas

Re: Chess is not a sport but a game. So what’s the difference?

Post by Reg Clucas » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:39 pm

A.Kluckova wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:57 pm
USA, Canada or Australia are not in EU.

Chess is the sport in Slovakia.
It could be a language thing. Maybe the word "Sport" in Slovakia has a slightly different meaning than in English, which would allow it to encompass chess without anyone raising an eyebrow. But for many people in English speaking countries that is not the case, even among chess players.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:07 am

Reg Clucas wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:39 pm
A.Kluckova wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:57 pm
USA, Canada or Australia are not in EU.

Chess is the sport in Slovakia.
But for many people in English speaking countries that is not the case, even among chess players.
That's the key, isn't it. If chess happened to receive more money from being a game than from being a sport, we would be outraged that anyone would try to reclassify it a sport. Our view that chess is a sport is based on how much money is at stake rather than whether chess is actually a sport.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:31 pm

"If something happened that has never actually happened, we can confidently state what everybody would think in these non-existent circumstances, and therefore this proves something."
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:26 pm

Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.