Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

The very latest International round up of English news.

Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

Poll ended at Tue May 08, 2018 10:47 pm

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov
2%
Georgios Makropoulos
14%
Nigel Short
59%
None of the Above
25%

Total votes: 56

Alex Holowczak

Re: Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat May 12, 2018 2:01 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 12:44 pm
The trouble with being a former competitor on "Countdown" is that I notice that "Glen Stark" is an anagram of "Strangle K", which should either worry Kirsan or me...
I was looking for anagrams of Glen Stark a few days ago, but rather than think about it for myself, I took the 21st century approach - I typed it into an anagram checker I found on Google. Having seen the options that resulted from it, I think we can chalk this up as a win for the humans. :)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat May 12, 2018 2:50 pm

"I think we can chalk this up as a win for the humans. "

Thanks Alex - I'm grateful the 9 letters "HOLOWCZAK" never turned up on the programme...

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat May 12, 2018 3:20 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 2:50 pm
"I think we can chalk this up as a win for the humans. "

Thanks Alex - I'm grateful the 9 letters "HOLOWCZAK" never turned up on the programme...
Apparently there are three sixes, one of which is "WHACKO". How appropriate. :oops:

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat May 12, 2018 11:19 pm

Whacko Loz
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun May 13, 2018 4:39 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 1:06 pm
Heh
Arf
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun May 13, 2018 5:25 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 11:19 pm
Whacko Loz
:D

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun May 13, 2018 11:19 pm

In a letter dated 12 May 2018 the FIDE Treasurer gives more information on where FIDE's money is now being housed and continues to snipe at Nigel Short and invites him to come to Athens to look at the relevant documents.
One thing that concerns me is where the Treasurer responds to Nigel's KYC comments with a statement that he should go to the Compliance Officers of the Trusts where the money is now held. I was expecting to see a statement referencing the due diligence from the person responsible for Compliance matters at FIDE and the fact that no such statement is there leads me to the conclusion that none was undertaken on the Trusts that have been named.
I did a quick check myself and it seems unlikely to me that either Trust would have compliance officers worthy of the name anyway:
Kei Trading Services Ltd (Hong Kong) was incorporated on 4 March 2010 and is a private limited company. No idea who the shareholders are so for "transparency" purposes one would wish to know that.
Arkion SA (Switzeland) is basically a wealth management company. Switzerland is notorious for not being rigorous on money laundering and all they require firms to do is basically self register that they have procedures in place but its very rare this is ever followed up.

It also struck me as odd that UBS allowed FIDE to move the money in the first place and the only chink of light I can see is that perhaps UBS did their own due diligence on the two Trusts concerned before they allowed the transaction to happen. Or perhaps they insisted that FIDE show them the due diligence that had been done before allowing the transaction to go ahead.

Steven DuCharme

Post by Steven DuCharme » Mon May 14, 2018 7:06 am

Alpha-Zero for FIDE president!!
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon May 14, 2018 7:11 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:39 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 1:06 pm
Heh
Arf
Buzan!

Maybe he knows Nigel from his days with the British Olympic Chess Squad.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon May 14, 2018 6:42 pm

Peter Doggers article on latest developments.

"Questions remain, such as whether the two trust companies in Switzerland and Hong Kong are reliable, and whether the recent actions of FIDE officials have followed the correct procedures. A more general question is whether FIDE could have avoided the loss of their UBS account, and the legal costs connected to this."

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue May 15, 2018 2:52 pm

I did a quick check myself and it seems unlikely to me that either Trust would have compliance officers worthy of the name anyway.

I'm a little out-of-date on this sort of thing but, where a trust has been set up by a single person/entity for the ultimate benefit of that person/entity, in this case presumably FIDE, I wouldn't see the obvious need for a compliance officer. The need for such an officer would seem more compelling in the case of a trust, or other financial instrument with multiple investors, to ensure equity as between the various investors.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu May 17, 2018 7:08 pm

Africa Chess Media interview with Nigel Short. Highlights:

What would you say to people who are concerned that you might lack the necessary business experience?

Nigel Short: It’s quite true that I have never discussed business deals with genocidal dictators. However, I have never had the slightest difficulty opening or keeping bank accounts, and quite frankly I think that already puts me well ahead of the other two.

Are you not worried about splitting or fragmenting the votes?

Nigel Short: People who supported Kirsan in the previous election… a lot of them will vote for Kirsan or Makropolous again. I think Makroplous is currently the front runner. Kirsan is finished in my view. In 2014, Kirsan ran against Garry Kasparov, who is a well-known critic of Putin. This enabled Kirsan to garner support totalling millions of dollars. However, things have changed. Kirsan is not as rich as he claims and he is no longer enjoying the support he is used to. He is much weaker. He barely got the backing of his own federation.

Does this mean that your playing days in chess could be coming to an end?

Nigel Short: In the short term there will obviously be a reduction in the amount of chess that I will personally be able to play. Obviously if I am elected, this will be a very different ball game. This will impact quite significantly on my chess. I am not thinking about this right now. The one thing I can say is that I have played in every single Chess Olympiad since 1984. I don’t know of many other chess players who have similar records. This will be the first time since 1984 that I do not take part in the Chess Olympiad as a player.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri May 18, 2018 12:16 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:08 pm
The one thing I can say is that I have played in every single Chess Olympiad since 1984.
If you count Calvia 2004 and Tromso 2014.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri May 18, 2018 6:18 am

Chris Rice wrote:
My highlight was "Thank you, once again Grand master Nigel Short for this incredible opportunity" at the end. Chess journalism at its most searching.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri May 18, 2018 8:25 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:18 am
Chris Rice wrote:
My highlight was "Thank you, once again Grand master Nigel Short for this incredible opportunity" at the end. Chess journalism at its most searching.
As highlighted in the comments
I am afraid that in order to keep good relations, the journalist did not make important follow up questions to Nigel Short. What does he mean “minimum requirements” for federations? My federation is from a very poor country with a civil war every several years, like many African countries. You want to un-recognise federations like ours, whilst the only thing that help us up until now is being related to FIDE .
Confirmation though that Nigel won't be playing in the England team, so wonder if Adams, Howell, Joes, McShane & in particular Sadler are all available
Any postings on here represent my personal views