World Senior Team Championships, Dresden 2018

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Brian Towers

Re: World Senior Team Championships, Dresden 2018

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:21 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:01 am
LIST OF ECF PLAYERS FOR WORLD SENIOR TEAM CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP RADEBEUL 7-15 JULY 2018 amended from previous lists

name team rating 6.18

Tim Thurstan 50+ 3rd 2035
Jeremy Fras er-Mitchell 50+ 3rd 2020
Chris Majer 50+ 3rd 1830
Ian Cross 50+ 3rd 1709
Paul Lawrence only 6 50+ 3rd 154D
AN ECF grading of 154 is very impressive for a 6 year-old, but how does he qualify for an over 50's team?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:26 am
NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:04 am
Hmmm
:?:

I do note the absence of Nigel Short and John Nunn
The top two boards of the team that was supposed to win it for us have baled out. Not worth a hmmm?

As a matter of fact, I like the chances of the revised team.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:41 pm

Deleted
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:53 pm

Brian. Is it possible that there are two chessplayers with the name Paul Lawrence living in England?

But what actually happened was the tabulation was stripped out. Paul is playing only 6 games.

Ian Findlay

Post by Ian Findlay » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:33 pm

Stewart, I presume your teams are not taking the half board option? 'Additionally, you can book half-board for 17,50 € per day upon registration; if you book half board upon arrival you will be charged 23,00.- € per day.' Canada plans to eat locally, but just wondering if you had any insight on this option.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:32 pm

Ian Findlay
3 of our players out of 42 are taking the half board option. There are two others for whom it may be more suitable, as their mobility is poor.
There are a large number of restaurants in which to eat in Radebeul.
The weather is good in early July. Dresden, which is nearby, is a fascinating place.

Ian Findlay

Post by Ian Findlay » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:12 am

Stewart Reuben
Thank you for the information. Looking forward to seeing you again, although I don't think I will be playing any poker this trip:) It has been close to 30 years since I last saw you.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:31 am

I retired as a poker player in 2010. I wasn't winning any more. I also look forward to seeing you.

Mark Adams

Post by Mark Adams » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:23 pm

So, not only have the organisers broken rules regarding start times, they have greatly devalued the event by allowing 40+ German club teams to enter. How on earth will the logistics work out? 130+ teams to have collected and finished breakfast for a 9:30 start? Even with some German teams not staying on-site, I predict it will be chaos. It is NOT the world club championships!

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:52 pm

It worked well enough last time. The percentages were about the same as this year.

Their main objective is as many paying customers as possible, as is the hotel's. The latter can cope with the hotel being full.

I also disagree with playing in the morning. But the bid was accepted in the full and certain knowledge of the schedule.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:06 pm

Mark Adams wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:23 pm
So, not only have the organisers broken rules regarding start times, they have greatly devalued the event by allowing 40+ German club teams to enter. How on earth will the logistics work out? 130+ teams to have collected and finished breakfast for a 9:30 start? Even with some German teams not staying on-site, I predict it will be chaos. It is NOT the world club championships!
Mark, I see you are playing board 2 for Wales in the 50+ and like Stewart I would like to reassure you that things went very smoothly in 2016 and a high percentage of people who played then are returning, including me. It was a great event.

I actually got used to the morning play as it left players free to go into Dresden/ swim or use gym/ go on excursions after the games. Admittedly early rising for breakfast is a good idea and anyone not playing on a given day probably does best to take breakfast late.

The playing room probably will seem very crowded this time but maybe they can manage without an overflow room. There are now 70 teams in the 50+ and 61 in the 50+. The lists were updated a few days ago with the changes to the England teams and adding Mongolia to the 65+. Maybe the Germans will rustle up a local Dresden Seniors team to even up the numbers.

England I are now sixth seeds in the 50+ and although they will doubtless update the lists when the July FIDE ratings come out, and again after the captains' meeting, it is very likely that 6th will be the final seeding.
At present, as you may have noticed, Wales would play the Jhunjhnuwala team in round one.

I don't in principle have an objection to so many German teams playing, but in 2016 Ireland played German teams in every round bar the first, and we were playing at or just below the 50% mark for most of the event. I certainly hope we get a more international mix this time. There is probably a better chance as there are few more international teams with lower ratings.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:48 pm

People may not know what the Jhunjhnuwala team is. This is 4 brothers, originally from Hong Kong who at least once provided the entire HK team in the Olympiad. Indeed on, that occasion, there were 5 brothers playing. This time they are playing under a US flag.

2016 I never noticed that I played against a large number of German opponents. But that is a non-issue for me. I am very pleased that there are now more non-European teams competing. As far as I know, only the first WSTCC in the Isle of Man in 2004 -which I ran- spent money on attracting teams from outside Europe,

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:45 pm

Mark Adams wrote:
So, not only have the organisers broken rules regarding start times
I thought this had been dealt with ( perhaps in another thread ). I detest early morning play to the point that I will not take part, but cannot find the rule which it breaches.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:08 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:48 pm
People may not know what the Jhunjhnuwala team is. This is 4 brothers, originally from Hong Kong who at least once provided the entire HK team in the Olympiad. Indeed on, that occasion, there were 5 brothers playing. This time they are playing under a US flag.

2016 I never noticed that I played against a large number of German opponents. But that is a non-issue for me. I am very pleased that there are now more non-European teams competing. As far as I know, only the first WSTCC in the Isle of Man in 2004 -which I ran- spent money on attracting teams from outside Europe,
Krishan Jhunjhnuwala played in the World Senior Teams at Acqui Terme last November and was on the live boards throughout, scoring 6/5/11.
Naresh (their board 2) also played but only scored 5/6 and his rating has dropped from 2240 as it was then.

Link to the individual results last year:

http://chess-results.com/tnr282186.aspx ... turdet=yes

There are several countries represented this time who didn't come in 2016: Israel, Yemen, Iraq, South Africa, and Wales.

I hope the Yemen and Iraq teams (possibly expats - I don't recognise any names) do not make any difficulties about playing the Israelis.

However Slovakia and Iceland are missing. Also Tunisia who played the whole 65+ event in 2016 without their top board who never came.

In 2016 Iceland were hosting the EU Teams so were allowed a second team, and their federation decided to make it a 50+ seniors team, and coming to Dresden was good practice for them. Fridrik Olafsson (in his 70s) was in the squad. It's a pity they have not returned. Slovakia of course were the surprise winners a few years ago (2015?) but in 2016 their team was weaker.

Mongolia had a women's 50+ team in 2015 but this time they have a 65+ team with one woman.

Once more South America is not represented. The Brazilians usually come in force to the individual seniors championships but I guess they don't want/cannot afford two trips to Europe in a year.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:41 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:45 pm
Mark Adams wrote:
So, not only have the organisers broken rules regarding start times
I thought this had been dealt with ( perhaps in another thread ). I detest early morning play to the point that I will not take part, but cannot find the rule which it breaches.
It’s from C - 1 of the handbook, I assume. However what status this actually has, even as an official recommendation, must be unclear, seeing as it obviously dates from another era.