Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

The very latest International round up of English news.

Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

Poll ended at Tue May 08, 2018 10:47 pm

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov
2%
Georgios Makropoulos
14%
Nigel Short
59%
None of the Above
25%

Total votes: 56

NickFaulks

Re: Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:27 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:05 pm
Nick, what do you know about Jaime Aguinaldo and Martha Fierro?
Even though Aguinaldo Jaime was a member of the winning ticket four years ago, I know nothing about him. He is of course the African representative on the ticket. I have spoken to Martha Fierro about women's titles, but that's all. She represents the Americas, but lives in Italy nowadays.

Edited to get the gentleman's name right. I should at least have known that!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:52 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:27 pm
Even though Aguinaldo Jaime was a member of the winning ticket four years ago, I know nothing about him. He is of course the African representative on the ticket. I have spoken to Martha Fierro about women's titles, but that's all. She represents the Americas, but lives in Italy nowadays.

Edited to get the gentleman's name right. I should at least have known that!
Have you got it right? Or is it wrong in the FIDE Directory?

The minutes of Tromso Congress 2014 refer to "Dr. Jaime Aguinaldo", along with "Mr. Kirsan Ilyumzhinov", "Mr. Georgios Makropoulos", etc, suggesting that "Jaime" is his forename and "Aguinaldo" is his surname.

You will gather that I too know little about him. However, I can add that he was on the Karpov ticket in 2010.

I met Lewis Ncube in Gambia in March 2014 and Ncube told me that he had persuaded Jaime Aguinaldo to change sides. Not surprisingly, Ncube considered this to be something of a coup.

(Edit: The minutes of Khanty-Mansiysk Congress 2010 refer to "Dr. Aguinaldo Jaime". Take your pick.)

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:04 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:07 pm
I'm no Mystic Meg but Makro looks a near-certainty to me. What I confess to not having realised was that Makro had publicly announced his intention to stand as a one-term candidate
You don't need to be Mystic Meg. You need to be Makropoulos's doctor. Then it all falls into place

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:43 am

Makro's prime reason for standing as President may be to make sure that Kirsan is not re-elected.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:10 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:52 pm
(Edit: The minutes of Khanty-Mansiysk Congress 2010 refer to "Dr. Aguinaldo Jaime". Take your pick.)
My belief is that the Tromso minutes are wrong and all other references are correct. Errors in minutes do happen.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:22 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:10 am
David Sedgwick wrote:
My belief is that the Tromso minutes are wrong and all other references are correct. Errors in minutes do happen.
If so, Makropoulos has got it wrong in his recent announcement.

https://twitter.com/makro_chess/status/ ... 4040368129

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:16 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:22 am
NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:10 am
David Sedgwick wrote:
If so, Makropoulos has got it wrong in his recent announcement.

https://twitter.com/makro_chess/status/ ... 4040368129
Well a Duck Duck search and inspection of the first 30 or so entries with this name produces a very even balance in the order of the two names.

However, closer inspection reveals that the English results are invariably Dr Jaime Aguinaldo and refer to an MD in St Louis while the Portuguese entries are invariably Dr Aguinaldo Jaime and refer to an Angolan politician with a multiplicity of different roles (with only a very occasional mention of chess).

Jon Tait

Post by Jon Tait » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:53 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Even though Aguinaldo Jaime was a member of the winning ticket four years ago, I know nothing about him.
He's mentioned briefly in this document...

https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/imo/media/ ... NAL710.pdf
blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:44 pm

Jon Tait wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:53 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Even though Aguinaldo Jaime was a member of the winning ticket four years ago, I know nothing about him.

Briefly? He (if it is the same person) is mentioned 123 times if you search for the surname Jaime.

EDIT: Obviously, if two different people are being conflated here, great care is needed to not imply anything before ascertaining who is who!

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:43 am
Makro's prime reason for standing as President may be to make sure that Kirsan is not re-elected.
And there are probably worse motivations than that.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:26 pm

Jon Tait wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:53 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Even though Aguinaldo Jaime was a member of the winning ticket four years ago, I know nothing about him

Good find. It makes alarming reading:

"Dr Aguinaldo Jaime, a senior Angolan government official, was head of Banco Nacional de Angola (BNA), the Angolan Central Bank, when he attempted, on two occasions in 2002, to transfer $50 million in state funds to a private account in the United States, only to have the transfers reversed by the U.S. financial institutions involved. Dr. Jaime invoked his authority as BNA Governor to wire transfer the funds to a private bank account during the first attempt and, during the second attempt, to purchase $50 million in U.S. Treasury bills for transfer to a private securities account. Both transfers were initially allowed, then reversed by bank or securities firm personnel who became suspicious of the transactions despite the reputation of the foreign official involved. Partly as a result of those transfers and the corruption concerns they raised, in 2003, Citibank closed not only the accounts it had maintained for BNA, but all other Citibank accounts for Angolan entities." (p. 243. Amplification of this paragraph follows in the subsequent pages, referencing members of the criminally-corrupt arms-dealing, money-laundering Falcone family)

Then there's this:

In 2010, a US senate corruption investigation committee reported that, "Aguinaldo Jaime, who served as the governor of the National Bank of Angola from 1999 to 2002, initiated a series of suspicious $50 million transactions with US banks. For each attempt, the banks, concerned about the likelihood of fraud, ultimately rejected the transfer or returned the money shortly after receiving it. The government could not account for approximately $2.4 billion over the period of Jaime’s three-year tenure as central bank governor.”

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:32 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:26 pm
The government could not account for approximately $2.4 billion over the period of Jaime’s three-year tenure as central bank governor.
So, financing FIDE shouldn't be a problem if Makro wins.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:34 pm

""Dr Aguinaldo Jaime, a senior Angolan government official, was head of Banco Nacional de Angola (BNA), the Angolan Central Bank, when he attempted, on two occasions in 2002, to transfer $50 million in state funds to a private account in the United States, only to have the transfers reversed by the U.S. financial institutions involved. Dr. Jaime invoked his authority as BNA Governor to wire transfer the funds to a private bank account during the first attempt and, during the second attempt, to purchase $50 million in U.S. Treasury bills for transfer to a private securities account. Both transfers were initially allowed, then reversed by bank or securities firm personnel who became suspicious of the transactions despite the reputation of the foreign official involved. Partly as a result of those transfers and the corruption concerns they raised, in 2003, Citibank closed not only the accounts it had maintained for BNA, but all other Citibank accounts for Angolan entities." (p. 243. Amplification of this paragraph follows in the subsequent pages, referencing members of the criminally-corrupt arms-dealing, money-laundering Falcone family)

Then there's this:

In 2010, a US senate corruption investigation committee reported that, "Aguinaldo Jaime, who served as the governor of the National Bank of Angola from 1999 to 2002, initiated a series of suspicious $50 million transactions with US banks. For each attempt, the banks, concerned about the likelihood of fraud, ultimately rejected the transfer or returned the money shortly after receiving it. The government could not account for approximately $2.4 billion over the period of Jaime’s three-year tenure as central bank governor.”"

So are we suggesting he's not an improvement on Kirsan?!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:47 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:34 pm
https://en.chessbase.com/post/fide-pres ... -summation

He escaped that scrutiny when part of Karpov's team in 2010. But when did the US Senate investigation committee report?

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:49 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:34 pm
I'm not sure what metrics might be used for assessing kleptocrats - weight of bullion? proportion of GDP? suitcases of cash? Prof Adrian Siegel will be able to guide Dr Aguinaldo Jaime in handling insolent questions from Nigel Short on the matter, while receiving in return ample guidance on international money transfers. Team Makro is starting to come together in the best FIDE tradition

@Roger: 2010; February 4th