2018 Altibox Norway

The very latest International round up of English news.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: 2018 Altibox Norway

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:29 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:28 pm
Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:31 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:02 pm
I think it is tempting fate to talk in that manner about a rival just before you are due to play them!
That’s what i thought.

Mind you it def makes things more interesting that Magnus is willing to say what he thinks rather than just toss out some bland ‘one game at a time, Brian’ type guff

Also, ending up with egg on your face notwithstanding, in the long run underconfidence probably loses people more points than over confidence.

Coincidentally a short video on Magnus' thoughts about confidence has just appeared on you tube.

https://youtu.be/81tmNazVFE0
Thanks for that link. I enjoyed that and the Tisdall article.

Was bit shocked to realise that Carlsen is now 27. Where has the time gone! :shock: :lol:

(He has been a GM for 14 years, in July he will have been world number one for 7 years, and during the World Championship match in November, he will reach the point where he will have been world champion for 5 years.)

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:09 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:29 pm
Was bit shocked to realise that Carlsen is now 27. Where has the time gone!
When I was planning and organising the big Liverpool international events that ran 2006-08, Carlsen had just arrived on the scene. We kicked off in 2006 with the 2nd EU Championships (eventually won by Nigel Short). I was really keen to invite Carlsen, then 15. And Carlsen was keen to play!! Alas, Norway wasn't a member of the EU. So I proposed to the TD, David Welch, that we should play Carlsen as a 'wildcard' or similar. But despite maximum pressure from me, Welch flatly refused to agree. I was still finding my feet at the time, so had to defer to the TD I'd appointed, and the chance went begging. And Carlsen? He'd have played for £300 - that's right, £300!! By 2008 and the even bigger 4th EU Championships, Carlsen was no longer in reach. Time does fly. But the missed opportunity still rankles :cry:

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:43 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:09 pm
When I was planning and organising the big Liverpool international events that ran 2006-08, Carlsen had just arrived on the scene. We kicked off in 2006 with the 2nd EU Championships (eventually won by Nigel Short). I was really keen to invite Carlsen, then 15. And Carlsen was keen to play!! Alas, Norway wasn't a member of the EU. So I proposed to the TD, David Welch, that we should play Carlsen as a 'wildcard' or similar. But despite maximum pressure from me, Welch flatly refused to agree. I was still finding my feet at the time, so had to defer to the TD I'd appointed, and the chance went begging. And Carlsen? He'd have played for £300 - that's right, £300!! By 2008 and the even bigger 4th EU Championships, Carlsen was no longer in reach. Time does fly. But the missed opportunity still rankles :cry:
Nothing like kicking a man when he is down (literally), is there?

If anyone reading this should be seeing David Welch in the near future, please would you pass on my best wishes to him.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:47 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:43 pm
Nothing like kicking a man when he is down (literally), is there?
Please don't be more sour and foolish than is standard for you! But how predictable your intervention. I'm well aware of David Welch's circumstances, and gave thought to them before posting. Nothing I have said involves "kicking a man when he's down" - unless all critiques and references, not matter how mild, are to be avoided. Welch is receiving supportive care 400 metres from me now. I don't doubt he'd be delighted to learn of your interest.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:09 pm

Was bit shocked to realise that Carlsen is now 27.

I had exactly the same reaction

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:53 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:09 pm

Was bit shocked to realise that Carlsen is now 27.

I had exactly the same reaction
Heh. Speaking of which, I clicked on the link again and instead of skipping the advert that YouTube served up, I was transfixed by the sight of Kasparov talking about and explaining his Masterclasses. It is, um, interesting how that advert is so slick and at the same time a bit sad (can't quite put my finger on why - it may have been mainly to do with the role the three 'pupils' played in the video). Can anyone link to that advert?