Probably a record?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jim Stayt

Probably a record?

Post by Jim Stayt » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:55 pm

Something recently reminded me of the Weald congress (2010), when I think I probably achieved / equalled a record of sorts (at least in the UK).

I was close to the grading borderline for entering the major and had opted instead to enter the open. When I turned up I was one of around 12, in a field which contained 3 IMs. Experienced a bit of a sinking feeling at this point!

In round one on the Saturday morning I managed to swindle a 190+ and at least broke my duck.
In round 2 on Saturday afternoon I was drawn against Susan Lalic IM and lost.
In round 3 on Saturday night I found myself up against Graeme Buckley IM, who was only on 1/2, and lost.
In round 4 on Sunday morning I played Chris Baker IM and lost.
Lost R5 too, but still performed at my expected grade despite only 1/5.

Along the way I had managed to lose 3 standard-play games against IMs in 24 hours, which is the potential record.

I can't imagine many, if any, tournaments worldwide play more than 3 STANDARD-play games in 24 hours. Particularly the sorts of tournaments that titled players frequent (1 or 2 a day maximum?)

So for 3 games a day we're probably looking at weekend congresses only. What are the chances of being drawn against a 3rd consecutive IM in a weekend swiss despite having lost the previous 2? Not an opportunity which is likely to crop up often....

Anybody come across this before?

Tim Spanton

Re: Probably a record?

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:20 am

Impressive stuff, but I can match part of your record in that I have also "managed to lose 3 standard-play games … in 24 hours"

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:08 am

Jim Stayt wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:55 pm
I can't imagine many, if any, tournaments worldwide play more than 3 STANDARD-play games in 24 hours. Particularly the sorts of tournaments that titled players frequent (1 or 2 a day maximum?)
It would have to be not FIDE rated which makes it understandable that it happened in England in 2010 when FIDE rated tournaments were much less common than today. Bunratty would be your best chance today except for the fact that too many players play there for you to lose to 2 IMs in a row and still get to play an IM in the next round.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:13 pm

Brian Towers wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:08 am
It would have to be not FIDE rated
Why can it not be FIDE rated?

FIDE Regulations
There must be no more than 12 hours play in one day. This is calculated based on games that last 60 moves, although games played using increments may last longer

Even if you take 'a day' to mean any period of 24 hours then three 4 hour games can be played. It is more likely that a Friday evening (7-11), Saturday Morning ((.30-1.30) and afternoon (2.30-6.30) which I think would be considered 2 days would satisfy the conditions.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Coulsdon sometimes run events where there's one morning tournament, one afternoon tournament and one evening tournament. Play in an event set up like that and you could potentially play three IMs on the same day.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:18 pm

At Bunratty a couple of years ago I lost three on the bounce against Nick Pert, Bogdan Lalic and David Fitzsimons, albeit David was only an FM but he was rating 2390; this was in round 3-5, but it was still within 24 hours

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:04 am

Alex >There must be no more than 12 hours play in one day. This is calculated based on games that last 60 moves, although games played using increments may last longer<

When I wrote that rule it was to cater for what used to be common in British chess: Saturday 9-1, 2-6, 7-11. All the moves in 2 hours, or something similar. Such events have fallen out of favour, bu tthe FIDE Rules still permit them.