Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election? (Take 2)

The very latest International round up of English news.

Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:05 am

Arkady Dvorkovich
11%
Georgios Makropoulos
20%
Nigel Short
48%
None of the Above
22%

Total votes: 46

NickFaulks

Re: Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election? (Take 2)

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:40 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:42 pm
Dangerous playthings, ethics commissions.
Since Kirsan renounced all of his powers as President, haven't you been one of the people commenting that he was travelling round the world behaving as though he still retained them? What other decision could EC have reached?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Robertson

Re: Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election? (Take 2)

Post by David Robertson » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:16 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:40 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:42 pm
Dangerous playthings, ethics commissions.
Since Kirsan renounced all of his powers as President, haven't you been one of the people commenting that he was travelling round the world behaving as though he still retained them? What other decision could EC have reached?
Jesus, Roger, why do you tolerate this tw@t? You do all his homework for him, and he still snarks the sh!t out of you

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:12 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:16 pm
Jesus, Roger, why do you tolerate this tw@t?
Roger and I have known each other forever and get along perfectly well. I suggest that you keep your playground attempts at stirring for academia, where I assume they work well.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:36 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:40 pm
What other decision could EC have reached?
The actual complaint and evidence have been heavily redacted. But whose idea was it to have an Ethics Commission in the first place? It was used for example by FIDE insider Zurab to have a go at Nigel for being critical, insulting even, in one or more of his articles.

Ethics Commission members have shown a commendable degree of independence. Surely their original brief would have been to prosecute or persecute those critical of FIDE?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:07 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:36 pm
But whose idea was it to have an Ethics Commission in the first place?
I've really no idea. I have always assumed it is just something that all such organisations have, and dates back to pre-Campo times when things were much less fractious.
Surely their original brief would have been to prosecute or persecute those critical of FIDE?
If I'm correct in the above, then no. I shall find out.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:17 am

I'm sure I remember Surrey County Chess Association having an Ethics Committee, because it cropped up in the first decade of this century during the Coulsdon Wars.
Last edited by JustinHorton on Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:02 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:07 am
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:36 pm
But whose idea was it to have an Ethics Commission in the first place?
I've really no idea. I have always assumed it is just something that all such organisations have, and dates back to pre-Campo times when things were much less fractious.
Surely their original brief would have been to prosecute or persecute those critical of FIDE?
If I'm correct in the above, then no. I shall find out.
Nick - Having been involved in the margins in 1986, when a Lucena/Keene ticket attempted to oust Campomanes, I'm pretty sure that there was then no such thing as an Ethics Committee. I say that because, in the then atmosphere, it's virtually certain one side or the other would have made a referral to an EC, had it existed, and I don't recall that happening.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:15 pm

Dvorkovich takes advantage of Makro's new Ethics Committee rules by lodging a claim indicting Makro.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:52 pm

"I'm sure I remember Surrey County Chess Association having an Ethics Committee, because it cropped up in the first decade of this century during the Coulsdon Wars."

I think it might go back to late 90s. There was a "Constitution and Rules Subcommittee" that was supposed to write the rules and a "Rules and Ethics Subcommittee" that dealt with disputes. The "President" (who was really the "Chairman") liked convoluted titles, without worrying too much if they made sense. We spent many hours on apparently clear cut cases as we discovered the rules were not supposed to mean what they said they did. I was (and still am) a big fan of saying, "The rule says X, so that's what it means". Someone else would say, "we didn't mean that", "Hard luck, that's what it says". (and so on...)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:32 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:15 pm
Dvorkovich takes advantage of Makro's new Ethics Committee rules [/url].
He's calling into doubt the process of appointing arbiters at Olympiads and more generally the processes for appointing appeal committees, along with those for awarding FIDE events.

That was an old Campo trick, not only did he get travel and accommodation by virtue of being President but he also got himself appointed on the appeals committee. Double and treble hotel rooms all round.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:14 am

Sputnik News ran an article yesterday with the headline "Chairman of the Local Organizing Committee for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Arkady Dvorkovich, who is running for the FIDE (World Chess Federation) presidency, said on Saturday that FIFA Head Gianni Infantino is interested in cooperation with FIDE in case if Dvorkovich gets elected."
Apparently Dvorkovich told journalists ""Gianni Infantino expressed his interest in cooperation with FIDE if I win the elections. It can be useful for both organizations. The intellectual side of the chess can help in developing football. In two days I'll throw myself into chess. We were good at hosting the 2018 FIFA World Cup and I hope we win the FIDE Presidential elections as well."

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:05 am

David Robertson wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:15 pm
Ethics Committee rules
He's not standing down quietly
http://kirsan.today/en/news/item/2426-f ... rking.html
I cannot be suspended by three people
Actually he can, if you give Ethics Commissions any power. Having an Ethics Commission may have been a condition of FIDE's recognition by the IOC.
According to Ilyumzhinov, he also intends to "apply to Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne (CAS) and the international court of human rights."
He may have a case in CAS, but surely the Court of Human Rights doesn't intervene in disputes between officials of international sporting organisations?

IanCalvert

Post by IanCalvert » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Kevin

i guess more checks and balances on, possible abuses, of ( Presidential) power as you suggest would be a good thing!

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:03 pm

(from above)

According to Ilyumzhinov, he also intends to "apply to Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne (CAS) and the international court of human rights."

Good luck with the Court that doesn't exist. Perhaps he means European Court of Human Rights, not that any Convention right is remotely engaged.

Nigel Short

Post by Nigel Short » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:11 pm

My official campaign website, http://cleanhands4fide.org/ , is up and running.