Batumi Olympiad

The very latest International round up of English news.
Lewis Martin

Re: Batumi Olympiad

Post by Lewis Martin » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:58 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:13 pm
There's a ban on watches and pens. Given their use or alleged use in cheating, are hearing aids, jewellery and even shoes next on the list?
Hearing aids - I assume you refer to the ICCD team, though not everyone uses them - are already prohibited.
You do get used to it after competing in deaf chess tournaments internationally as it is prohibited there too.

As for the rest of your list, you could argue there is no need for jewellery. Not that I care either way, but it would be a bit OTT I agree.
I believe a player has been caught cheating in the past using his shoes...

What with the trend of wearable technology, it might be reduced to a spa day of sorts. Get into a changing room, where you are only allowed to wear an undergarment with dressing gown and a pair of cheap slippers...

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:49 pm

Some years ago at Hastings, I said that women would have to wear their hair such that it didn't cover their ears. Fearing people didn't realise I was joking, I then said everybody would have to play in the nude. Perhaps it is reality, that everything said in jest becomes true.
Of course I have an implanted defibrillator.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:25 am

"Hearing aids - I assume you refer to the ICCD team, though not everyone uses them - are already prohibited."

I always openly remove mine before the game starts, to make it clear to the opponent that any offers of draws, tea, coffee, etc. should be clearly communicated. Then they don't hear my draw offers...

Are you allowed to have the hearing aids in your pocket etc?

harrylamb

Post by harrylamb » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:09 pm

I wear two hearing aids. These are disability aids. If in the UK a tournament organisor bans me from wearing my disability aids the orgniser is in my opinion breaking the various disabilities and equalities legislation in force in England, Wales and other parts of the UK.

That being so anyone banning a hearing aid could well find themselves subject to a legal complaint under the various acts.
No taxation without representation

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Harry,
You may have not noticed, the Olympiads are being held in Georgia. What Georgian regulations are, I have no idea. Moreover, that may be irrelevant, the event is held under the auspices of FIDE. It is their regulations that apply, and they don't even come under the EU.
That said, I agree it is disgraceful that FIDE are seeking to make people remove their hearing aids during play.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:39 pm
I agree it is disgraceful that FIDE are seeking to make people remove their hearing aids during play.
Turning the argument around, you shouldn't be allowed to cheat unless you are, or claim to be, hard of hearing.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

harrylamb

Post by harrylamb » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:36 pm

Nick,
I know you are a FIDE loyalist, but am surprised that you would go so far as when there is a rules clash to support the laws of a somewhat dubious FIDE above the laws of the country in which you live.

The law is not interested in cheating at chess. It is interested in ensuring disabled people are not discriminated against. I believe that condemning a player to a prison of silence for say five hours during the course of a game is discrimination and not acceptable. My understanding is that you must make reasonable adjustments to avoid the discrimination. After all it cannot be that hard. I do not know of a single case of cheating using an electronic hearing aid.

The law is not as you suggest saying, let disabled people cheat. It is saying that in your efforts to stop cheating you must not discriminate against disabled people.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:10 pm

harrylamb wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:36 pm

The law is not as you suggest saying, let disabled people cheat. It is saying that in your efforts to stop cheating you must not discriminate against disabled people.
To what law in which jurisdiction are you referring?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:48 pm

harrylamb wrote:
I do not know of a single case of cheating using an electronic hearing aid.
Not strictly a hearing aid, but an "electronic earpiece": https://www.chess.com/news/view/life-ti ... r-cheating

Putting aside the legal question, there is certainly a fear amongst many players, which may or may not be well-founded, that earpieces can be used for cheating.

harrylamb

Post by harrylamb » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:11 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:10 pm
harrylamb wrote:

Equality Act 2010
Applicable (with some differences from country to country) to
England
Wales
Scotland
Northern Ireland

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:08 pm

"Putting aside the legal question, there is certainly a fear amongst many players, which may or may not be well-founded, that earpieces can be used for cheating."

Another reason I remove mine.

Actually, I quite enjoy the sound of silence, especially the "Disturbed" version.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:37 pm

harrylamb wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:11 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
harrylamb wrote:

Equality Act 2010
Applicable (with some differences from country to country) to
England
Wales
Scotland
Northern Ireland
Just to be sure, Harry, you understand that this is a thread about the forthcoming Olympiad in Batumi, Georgia and not about tournaments in any of these four countries?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:02 pm

I might have made a mistake thinking that 'no hearing aids' is a common thing throughout. It might be just for the ICCD team.

harrylamb

Post by harrylamb » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:28 pm

JustinHorton wrote:

Just to be sure, Harry, you understand that this is a thread about the forthcoming Olympiad in Batumi, Georgia and not about tournaments in any of these four countries?
I do understand the title of the thread, Batumi Olympiad. My concern is that the version of the rules to be used at the Batumi Olympiad may be illegal if used elsewhere in the world.

I think it is a legitimate use of the thread to advise Organisers and others to be aware of the possible legal problems of using the Batumi Olympiad Rules outside of the Batumi Olympiad.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:04 pm

harrylamb wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:28 pm

I think it is a legitimate use of the thread to advise Organisers and others to be aware of the possible legal problems of using the Batumi Olympiad Rules outside of the Batumi Olympiad.
A proposal to be discussed at Batumi which would apply if adopted.
http://www.fide.com/images/stories/NEWS ... nex_24.pdf

As with mobile phones, the impractical or potentially illegal parts of such proposals tend not to survive attempts to apply them in day to day play.