Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election? (Take 2)

The very latest International round up of English news.

Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:05 am

Arkady Dvorkovich
11%
Georgios Makropoulos
20%
Nigel Short
48%
None of the Above
22%

Total votes: 46

NickFaulks

Re: Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election? (Take 2)

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:49 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:24 pm
There's a contested election for African continental president coming up
I was there as they were coming out. I gathered from the revellers that Lewis Ncube retained his position.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Re: Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election? (Take 2)

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:02 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:49 pm
I gathered from the revellers that Lewis Ncube retained his position.
I suppose one of the next jobs for the new FIDE president will be to work through the Presidential Board list
https://ratings.fide.com/fide_directory ... content=35
as to who to retain and who to retire (where that is within his power).

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:11 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:02 pm
I suppose one of the next jobs for the new FIDE president will be to work through the Presidential Board list https://ratings.fide.com/fide_directory ... content=35 as to who to retain and who to retire (where that is within his power)
Makro - OUT
Jaime - OUT
Sundar - OUT
Vega - OUT (maybe)
Siegel - OUT

for starters

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:27 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:49 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:24 pm
There's a contested election for African continental president coming up
I was there as they were coming out. I gathered from the revellers that Lewis Ncube retained his position.
Indeed, but it was close. 23 - 21.

The best coverage which I have found on this is at https://africachessmedia.com/2018/10/03 ... president/.

There is pre-election analysis at https://africachessmedia.com/2018/10/03 ... elections/.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:41 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:11 pm
Vega - OUT (maybe)
If he remains Continental President, that's an automatic place I believe. Ncube the re-elected African president was a Kirsan loyalist to the end.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:43 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:41 pm
If he remains Continental President, that's an automatic place I believe.
Correct, and he was unopposed and duly re-elected.

He relies heavily on FIDE HQ, so we shall see how he sets about mending his fences. The USCF has chosen an interesting moment to affirm that they wish to play a full role in the Continent's affairs - Vega will need all the help he can get.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:33 am

"The ECF Board felt it was paramount to support a strong ticket with English participation, and it was apparent that Nigel Short’s campaign had gained little traction."

Nigel:

"This morning I was appointed FIDE Vice President."

Well that worked out well.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:52 am

As Nigel's campaign to be President achieved zero votes, this is not all that good a point. Possibly Nigel should have gone to the ECF on the basis of becoming Vice-President on Dvorkovich's ticket, particularly since it is obvious now that this arrangement had been made before the ECF's decision. But he didn't.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:37 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:52 am
As Nigel's campaign to be President achieved zero votes, this is not all that good a point.
Well obviously if you withdraw you can't get any votes but Nigel already demonstrated enough evidence to show that some federations would have voted for him. Besides what use would he be to Dvorkovich if Dvorkovich thought no federation supported Nigel?
Anyway, one thing from yesterday was really bothering me. Nigel was insistent that the rules stated that no candidate would be eliminated if it went to a second round of voting. This was agreed by all the candidates and allowed to happen by Rivello. Then Nigel promptly withdrew. I still can't understand the logic behind this though I was working yesterday so I might have missed the exact sequence of events.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:37 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:43 am
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:41 pm
If he remains Continental President, that's an automatic place I believe.
Correct, and he was unopposed and duly re-elected.

He relies heavily on FIDE HQ, so we shall see how he sets about mending his fences. The USCF has chosen an interesting moment to affirm that they wish to play a full role in the Continent's affairs - Vega will need all the help he can get.
How many Kirsan supporters are still in place?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:49 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:37 am
JustinHorton wrote:
As Nigel's campaign to be President achieved zero votes, this is not all that good a point.
Well obviously if you withdraw you can't get any votes but Nigel already demonstrated enough evidence to show that some federations would have voted for him.
But not remotely enough to make him a serious contender for the post he was asking to be nominated for.
Chris Rice wrote:
Besides what use would he be to Dvorkovich if Dvorkovich thought no federation supported Nigel?
None, of course, but tell me this: what should the Board have done, issued a statement saying " we are backing Nigel because we think his support will be invaluable to the former Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation"?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:00 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:49 am
None, of course, but tell me this: what should the Board have done, issued a statement saying " we are backing Nigel because we think his support will be invaluable to the former Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation"?
They could have said that they were supporting Nigel because he would be a voice of influence in the post Kirsan and post Makro FIDE.

It remains to be seen whether that's good or not. There's the issue of the Rapid and Blitz Championships in Saudi Arabia coming up. The award last year was strongly supported by Malcolm and endorsed by Nigel by being the first GM to sign up. The precedent of the board default by the Saudis against the ICCD team who had an Israeli represent them doesn't bode well.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:04 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Chris Rice wrote:
JustinHorton wrote:
Well obviously if you withdraw you can't get any votes but Nigel already demonstrated enough evidence to show that some federations would have voted for him.
But not remotely enough to make him a serious contender for the post he was asking to be nominated for.
Agreed
JustinHorton wrote:
Chris Rice wrote:
Besides what use would he be to Dvorkovich if Dvorkovich thought no federation supported Nigel?
I was simply making the point that one of the ECF reasons for not voting for Nigel was that it was pretty much pointless and instead back someone who would win. That turned out not to be the case.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:18 am

Mick Norris wrote:
How many Kirsan supporters are still in place?
I'm not sure that I understand the question. The only prominent pre-election Kirsan + Dvorkovich supporter who springs to mind is Ncube. Martha Fierro has managed a quick switch from appointed VP to elected VP, presumably with official support.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:21 am

Yesterday I proposed starting a new thread which has been done, so why are people keeping this one going?

I propose to the mods: please close this thread now and transfer all today's postings? It's too confusing trying to read both.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com