Cheating in chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Cheating in chess

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:02 am

Martin Crichton wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:49 am
I had not considered that he might have had an accomplice
The 4NCL arbiters had put up signs excluding parents from the toilets immediately outside the playing area. I gather this was in response to an incident somewhere else. Presumably parents who were also playing were excepted.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:42 am

"it is beyond comprehension to think that his family might be involved but who knows?"

No idea in this case, but I am aware of past cases of juniors talking to a parent who has the position on a laptop. This could of course just be a natural interest in the state of the game, or something more sinister.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:11 am

Have there been any cases of a parent and child caught cheating in collusion?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:20 am

I think there was a celebrated case quoted on this forum of a parent and child (in Israel as I recall) who had a "telepathic" act that gained notoriety when the child (might have been a teenager) played in a chess tournament and received his moves "by telepathy" from his father and unexpectedly won (or came close to winning) the tournament.

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:53 am

There is a way to turn this around. We have Losers Chess, why not have Cheaters Chess? Each participant is allowed to cheat in any way. If the method of cheating is discovered then the player is disqualified. We would need a counterfeit cash prize large enough to make it worth participating.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:07 pm

The Spartans ran their entire education system on this very principle. Boys were encouraged to steal, but if found out were beaten (for doing it badly). The incentive to make the attempt, however, was that their rations were kept short.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:45 pm

John Foley wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:53 am
There is a way to turn this around. We have Losers Chess, why not have Cheaters Chess? Each participant is allowed to cheat in any way. If the method of cheating is discovered then the player is disqualified. We would need a counterfeit cash prize large enough to make it worth participating.
When I was running four 4NCL and one J4NCL team for AMCA I started a fourth division team called the AMCA Cheetahs. This was before the time it became trendy to have a comedic name.

Some team members asked if the spelling of the team name was correct.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:38 pm

"Have there been any cases of a parent and child caught cheating in collusion?"

Yes.

I also recall incidents where parents attempted to cheat on behalf of their child. E.g child claims draw on 10.2, comes to me with father, when we reach the board, the opponent is setting the pieces up. I ask if she accepts the draw "Yes." Father of child one says "we claim the game!" I point out that the players have agreed a draw and it's none of his business anyway. Child one is quite happy with draw and has grown up to be a player who continues to behave in an exemplary fashion.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:13 pm

If John Foley is still around then perhaps he might like to get the description of him here corrected. https://londonchessconference.com/speakers/john-foley/

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:42 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:38 pm
"Have there been any cases of a parent and child caught cheating in collusion?"

Yes.

I also recall incidents where parents attempted to cheat on behalf of their child. E.g child claims draw on 10.2, comes to me with father, when we reach the board, the opponent is setting the pieces up. I ask if she accepts the draw "Yes." Father of child one says "we claim the game!" I point out that the players have agreed a draw and it's none of his business anyway. Child one is quite happy with draw and has grown up to be a player who continues to behave in an exemplary fashion.
Even more bizarre, at one FIDE junior event a parent/coach was watching a game through the window with his mobile in hand showing a chess position. As his son was by the window he would turn the phone around for him to see! It would have been funny were it not so serious. It was reported and the person doing the reporting was reprimanded for causing trouble!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:33 am

"Even more bizarre, at one FIDE junior event a parent/coach was watching a game through the window with his mobile in hand showing a chess position. As his son was by the window he would turn the phone around for him to see! It would have been funny were it not so serious. It was reported and the person doing the reporting was reprimanded for causing trouble!"

Wow! The last bit doesn't surprise me - I reported a player for cheating many years ago and the official BCF response was to say I was lucky that they didn't have rules covering "bringing the game into disrepute"!

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:57 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:07 pm
So if a result needs to be changed after submission (nothing to do with cheating), you have to ask your grader to resubmit the entire file?

That wasn't necessary in the good old days. You contacted Richard Haddrell and explained the circumstances, and he amended the result for you.
I don't see why this is a problem. To make a small change to the file and resubmit it seems to me to be the easier option.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:24 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:57 am
David Sedgwick wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:07 pm
So if a result needs to be changed after submission (nothing to do with cheating), you have to ask your grader to resubmit the entire file?

That wasn't necessary in the good old days. You contacted Richard Haddrell and explained the circumstances, and he amended the result for you.
I don't see why this is a problem. To make a small change to the file and resubmit it seems to me to be the easier option.
It might not be the easier option for the ECF. I'm pretty sure I submitted a replacement file to Richard Haddrell to correct a game or two and he said that in future he would prefer me to just inform him of the corrections that were needed to those games.

Mark Ashley

Post by Mark Ashley » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:55 pm

I've just read that Igor Rausis has been caught red handed with a phone. I thought he had just been mopping up much weaker players in tournaments, but i guess that may have just helped him cover up how he was doing it as people would expect a stronger player to outplay lower graded players.

Is this the first case of a player being caught cheating against lower graded opponents? A lot of the stories i see involving cheats often involve lower graded players outplaying higher graded ones.

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/gm-igo ... t-cheating

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:15 pm

Mark Ashley wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:55 pm
I've just read that Igor Rausis has been caught red handed with a phone. I thought he had just been mopping up much weaker players in tournaments, but i guess that may have just helped him cover up how he was doing it as people would expect a stronger player to outplay lower graded players.

Is this the first case of a player being caught cheating against lower graded opponents? A lot of the stories i see involving cheats often involve lower graded players outplaying higher graded ones.

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/gm-igo ... t-cheating
See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10300&start=45 for discussion of this.