Eric Schiller 1955-2018

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: Eric Schiller 1955-2018

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:08 pm

I would put that last named example down to sloppiness and not caring about the facts rather than an actual, deliberate untruth (those are more the preserve of his old mate Raymondo) Though that isn't really much better at the end of the day I suppose.

I bought the Schiller/Benjamin book in question (and still have it somewhere) IIRC it has a few decent summaries and bits of analysis but also some highly questionable judgements, not to mention a number of surprising outright omissions.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:57 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:08 pm
I would put that last named example down to sloppiness and not caring about the facts rather than an actual, deliberate untruth (those are more the preserve of his old mate Raymondo) Though that isn't really much better at the end of the day I suppose.

I bought the Schiller/Benjamin book in question (and still have it somewhere) IIRC it has a few decent summaries and bits of analysis but also some highly questionable judgements, not to mention a number of surprising outright omissions.
Well, I have to totally disagree with your first statement.

To say that a book you have not read (and which in fact does not exist) is the best in a category is intellectual dishonesty to say the least as it strongly implies you have seen and compared them.
Moreover, as you can see from Winter's article linked above, Schiller (when challenged on this by Myers) persisted for some time in claiming there was such a book by Westerinen and that he had a copy.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:01 pm

Point taken, I might have a read (or more accurately, re-read) of Winter's article.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:07 pm

Andrew Martin wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:42 am

Some well-considered words here:

http://www.spraggettonchess.com/eric-schiller-rip/
Officially, sources indicate that he wrote about 100 chess books, but this is not true. He wrote several hundreds
Uh huh
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:08 pm

I suppose it might depend on how you define "wrote"?

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:04 am

the poor man only had one limb left when he died....there are some hard cases posting here! I must remember never to upset or cross some people lol
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:27 pm

As my initial comment in this thread made clear, I'm far from thinking he was all bad.

But I have also always thought that the tendency to whitewash someone's failings when they die is not a healthy one.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:51 pm

Was there ever a book "written" by Eric, Raymondo and Sam Sloan ? What would be the subject matter ?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

James Plaskett

Post by James Plaskett » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:48 pm

I´ll say it.

"A sick man is not to be pitied if he has a cure up his sleeve."
Michel de Montaigne

Schiller had the milder of diabetes two forms. I have taken injections for over forty years.
O´Brien died in his sixties and had eye problems. Miles died of a heart attack at forty-six. Each was diabetic. Neither they nor Schiller took proper care of their condition.
So, Señor Crichton; go for regular check ups, test the level of sugar in your blood several times daily and you shall minimise diabetic problems.
Eric´s loss of three of his limbs was appalling.
But,
"A sick man is not to be pitied if he has a cure up his sleeve."
Michel de Montaigne

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:17 pm

Mention has been made, in relation to Eric Schiller's passing, of the "De mortuis nil nisi bonum" tag so maybe it's not totally inappropriate to recall what Eric himself wrote on the death of former FIDE president Florencio Campomanes in 2010:

"An evil man who is not going to be missed. Thoroughly corrupt persecutor of those who wanted chess to move forward. Destroyer of our beloved World Championship"

I was no fan of Campomanes, although he was entirely engaging on a personal level when I interviewed him back in the 1980's, but this quote displayed poorer taste than those whose admiration for Eric has been shown here to be less than whole-hearted.

Eric could be cordial but this was not always to be relied upon. Having said that, it was sad to hear of his health problems which I wouldn't wish on anyone - I now assume that the quality of many of his chess books probably reflected an urgent need to earn money to meet medical costs.

Steven DuCharme

Post by Steven DuCharme » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:14 am

John Upham wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:51 pm
Was there ever a book "written" by Eric, Raymondo and Sam Sloan ? What would be the subject matter ?
A Sam Sloan book might be "64 Ways to Cook Susan Polgar and her husband"
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

O.G. Urcan

Post by O.G. Urcan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:32 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:17 pm
Mention has been made, in relation to Eric Schiller's passing, of the "De mortuis nil nisi bonum" tag so maybe it's not totally inappropriate to recall what Eric himself wrote on the death of former FIDE president Florencio Campomanes in 2010:

"An evil man who is not going to be missed. Thoroughly corrupt persecutor of those who wanted chess to move forward. Destroyer of our beloved World Championship"
Roger Lancaster has omitted to quote the subsequent sentence written by Eric Schiller on the day Florencio Campomanes died: "Some champagne with dinner tonight to wish him good riddance!"

- O.G. Urcan