Repercussions / Fallout from FIDE Elections?

The very latest International round up of English news.
David Robertson

Re: Repercussions / Fallout from FIDE Elections?

Post by David Robertson » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:42 pm

shaunpress wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:55 pm
The flaw in the ACC argument is that boxing is an activity that is explicitly licensed in a country, and that licence is based upon legislation passed by the relevant legislative body. Therefore the activity is legal, because the law of the land says it is. I assume unlicensed boxing matches are still illegal in most (if not all) countries
This is exactly correct. A state is sovereign when it makes laws, and has the capacity to enforce them, within its jurisdiction. The idea that FIDE, overseeing a game of posh skittles, can trump a state's sovereignty is too absurd to warrant serious discussion. We can safety assume that the ACC is not chock-full of experts in jurisprudence. It hardly seems blessed by members with commonsense either. Why else would members nod through such nonsense.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:12 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:11 pm
Nick Burrows wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:41 pm
A proper candidates tournament will be high profile, a more rigorous test of skill and good for chess in general.
You could do top 4 from Women's World Cup, loser of the previous match and top three by rating not already champion or qualified. There would be a slight rule problem if the champion also played in the World Cup. There may be a format problem with the Open Candidates as well, as there's nothing been announced about the Grand Prix series to determine some of the qualifiers.
If there was to be a women's Candidates, would it be good or bad to hold it alongside the Open Candidates?
There is an update to the Women's World Championship cycle which addresses the points made by Nick & Roger:

"Following the change in the system of the Women's World Championship, the following amendment to the regulations of the Women's World Championship 2018 has been made: all semifinalists except for the eventual winner will qualify to the forthcoming Women's Candidate Tournament of the 2019-2020 cycle."

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:36 pm

Nigel wishing the participants at the Women's World Championship well.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:43 pm

<looks to camera>
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:28 pm

Malcolm Pein seems to be claiming everything went to plan in his FIDE campaign - except, maybe, the result. His CHESS editorial makes curious reading. If he was offered a place on the PB - and this was certainly the plan - he was a fool and a half to refuse it. Still, at least I can't access five further pages of whinging tripe from Tim Wall on the matter

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:12 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:28 pm
Malcolm Pein seems to be claiming everything went to plan in his FIDE campaign
He seems quite convinced that the Dvorkovich team will forget the many insults he threw at them - even to the point of adding another at the end of the article.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:41 pm

Latest on the Russian chess site of a Dvorkovich press conference regarding the World Rapid & Blitz:

"No news yet on the World Rapid & Blitz. "The country's authorities have not provided guarantees of admittance and safe participation of representatives from all countries. If the guarantees are not received in the coming days, the [event] will be transferred to another country."

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:30 pm

The stuff in Malcolm's editorial about Berik Balbagaev is interesting enough, and something I'd like to see either expanded upon, or explained, depending on how you look at it (or who's doing the looking).

Balbagaev's prominence is not exactly evidence that we are in a new era where all the old crew have been swept away.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Also, people may be interested in the observation here, and some of those above it. (The discussion started long back on different topics entirely, so I wouldn't go back further than October 30, and there are a couple of branches since then, so apologies if it's at all confusing, but it raises a point about whether FIDE is going to see the AGON money.)
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:19 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:53 pm
...whether FIDE is going to see the AGON money
Plenty to come on this, I understand. Jaw-dropping stuff too. But m'learned friends need to give the nod. And nothing will break this side of the WCC match

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:34 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:30 pm
Balbagaev's prominence is not exactly evidence that we are in a new era where all the old crew have been swept away.
When the split between Ilyumzhininov and Makrokoulos became irreparable 12 to 18 months ago, most of the old regime backed Makropoulos.

However, a few of them remained loyal to Ilyumzhinov until the end and then immediately switched their support to Dvorkovich.

That group have emerged as big winners in this election, an outcome which seemed inconceivable a year ago.

Berik Balgabaev*, Willy Iclicki, Enyonam Fumey and Lewis Ncube are the names which immediately come to mind.

(*I think that I have the spelling correct.)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:22 pm

Anyone for US sanctions lists?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:24 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:22 pm
Anyone for US sanctions lists?
I don't know anything about boxing politics, but 86-48 is pretty convincing. I wonder how much the winner was assisted by general annoyance with US Treasury meddling.
Last edited by NickFaulks on Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:52 am

ImageFIDE Presidential Board meeting at Chelsea's ground, Stamford Bridge, yesterday, photo courtesy of Martha Fierro.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:31 am

Curious location
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com