2018 World Championship in London

The very latest International round up of English news.
Joshua Gibbs

Re: 2018 World Championship in London

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:04 pm

does anyone know why Tony Miles dubbed triple pawns the Irish pawn centre?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:08 pm

Joshua Gibbs wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:04 pm
https://www.chess.com/forum/view/fun-wi ... hess-slang

"Purportedly, Tony Miles first coined the phrase when he watched Eamon Keogh use the IPC - Irish pawn center - in Amsterdam 1978 and then used the IPC to beat Eamon later in the same tournament. Smyslov used it to beat Botvinnik and Alexander Baburin wrote an article on it."

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:17 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:08 pm
Joshua Gibbs wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:04 pm
https://www.chess.com/forum/view/fun-wi ... hess-slang

"Purportedly, Tony Miles first coined the phrase when he watched Eamon Keogh use the IPC - Irish pawn center - in Amsterdam 1978 and then used the IPC to beat Eamon later in the same tournament. Smyslov used it to beat Botvinnik and Alexander Baburin wrote an article on it."
thanks

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:18 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:11 pm
Svidler & Grischuk, these guys are just mint.
Grischuk: "All of us are a little bit autistic, so we're not in love with eye contact"
Grischuk is definitely a major commentating find for Chess24. If you want more of his inimitable style complete with background sounds from his kids he is doing one hour banter blitz sessions for Chess24 where he takes on opponents across the rating spectrum from 1500 to 3000. Here is the latest.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:31 pm

Other Grandmaster views on the match:

http://www.spraggettonchess.com/world-c ... ip-london/

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:40 am

Joshua Gibbs >does anyone know why Tony Miles dubbed triple pawns the Irish pawn centre?<

It is a politically incorrect joke, that would probably be felt too offensive today. Tripled pawns, of course, help nobody's centre.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:27 am

Good article from Aimee Lewis of CNN on Caruana Fabiano Caruana -- the American helping make chess cool

"I have taken a liking to yoga recently, I've been practicing quite a lot. It's important to try to counteract the negative, physical effects of chess -- sitting down for so long under a lot of strain and mental stress,"

....."I understood that chess can be physically demanding, although it doesn't seem like it. When you're under a lot of stress and your heart is racing and you're just sitting down and there's no outlet for it you really need to be in good shape to make sure it doesn't get to your head.
"If you're crashing at the board you won't be able to play so I think pretty much all the top players these days are very aware of the necessity to be in good shape. I've tried to improve my cardio, I've done a lot of running and interval training to try to improve my cardiovascular system. I've had trainers in the past, but because I travel so much it's kind of hard to have someone there to monitor what I'm doing so I also have to take it upon myself to make sure I know how to exercise and know what I need to do."

...."At the board, I turn everything off and focus on that. I think that's years of training, through playing and trying to not let mind wander," he replies with a smile. "As a kid, I found myself staring at the ceiling during a game and wouldn't be thinking about chess at all, but through so many years of playing chess at a high level I've learnt to focus. I haven't really had to consciously try to do it, it's sort of just happened."

....Home-schooled in Spain, Caruana would practice for 10 hours a day on non-school days, but he does not regard it as a childhood lost.

...His parents reportedly estimate they spent as much as $50,000 a year paying for coaches and training before their son started making money in his late teens.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:32 am

Fallout from that Caruana training video as Ian Rogers tweets:

"Sadly parting ways with Chess Life Online after a decade. I declined to accept edits to my round 4 World Ch'p report which would downplay responsibility of editors of the Caruana video, downplay the effect of the video on Caruana's chances, and omit the key image from the video."

and:

"Chess Life Online had been a model employer until now and the USCF is of course pro-Caruana. However the lines shown on the video, suggesting Caruana's main Black defences for the match, is in my opinion quite a big deal., and being pro-Caruana should not mean not saying that."

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:45 am

Nigel:

"If stalemate were a win for the stalemater, which was the entirely logical rule for the first several hundred years of chess, then Magnus Carlsen would be one point up already (after game 3) and people would be complaining much less about draws."

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:52 am

If Nigel's auntie had balls
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:54 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:45 am
Nigel:

and people would be complaining much less about draws."
They would be complaining instead that White's winning percentage was too high. Think of all those defences where Black sacrifices a pawn for equality such as the Benko and Marshall. Stalemate being a draw underpins those that King and pawn v King can be a draw which in turn underpins that King, Rook and pawn v King and Rook can be a draw. It also underpins that draw which Nigel got against Timman on his way to the match against Kasparov where Jon Speelman helped him to an adjournment draw defending against Bishop and Rook pawns in a rook ending.

I thought Nigel made a campaign promise not to promote the "stalemate to be a win" nonsense if elected. Given that he was appointed, perhaps he feels let off.

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:25 am

To say that stalemate should be a win is to say that stalemate is the same as checkmate. This is wrong.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:09 pm

Joshua Gibbs wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:25 am
To say that stalemate should be a win is to say that stalemate is the same as checkmate. This is wrong,
It's only words. Stalemate = Checkmate is a perfectly good game, just a different game. Personally, I would be fascinated to see it tested, with all new ending theory and lots of new opening theory. I have no idea whether the new game might look like a forced win for White.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:54 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:41 pm
Ian Rogers wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:03 pm
This claim is simply not true ....
Thanks for the correction. I was obviously too quick to think the worst of Agon. But they do make it so very easy to do so
David Llada remains unhappy >>

I don't see the point on having to go through TWO accreditation processes EVERYDAY, to be allowed to take photos for 5 minutes, having to fight for a spot on a corner with 15 people in a space smaller than my bathroom.

I had enough of this s**t

https://twitter.com/davidllada/status/1 ... 94501?s=21

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:59 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:09 pm
It's only words
Absolutely! Or more exactly, entirely artificial rules constructed by words. There's nothing 'natural' or universal about our addictive game of skittles
NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:09 pm
Stalemate = Checkmate is a perfectly good game, just a different game
Quite so. Contrary to Nigel's (ever-)scornful critics above, I think at least one stalemate position should score a win. I have in mind the ludicrous state-of-affairs, which I've encountered several times, where one is K+B+'wrong' RP v. K. Draw! But only because of a quirk of geometry and a wholly arbitrary rule. Do I think we should change the rule? It's at least thinkable - though it ranks below ending climate change, Trump & our terrible Government as a call on my time