Repercussions / Fallout from FIDE Elections?

The very latest International round up of English news.
David Sedgwick

Re: Repercussions / Fallout from FIDE Elections?

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:28 pm
If there was to be a cull of Commissions, it doesn't seem to have happened.
I don't agree.

The earlier announcement said that there would be 18 Commissions, each with a maximum of 10 members.

Previously there were 26 Commissions, typically with 12 to 15 members and a couple having over 20 members.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:25 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:13 pm
Previously there were 26 Commissions, typically with 12 to 15 members and a couple having over 20 members.
Which ones are dumped?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:27 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:25 pm
Which ones are dumped?
That we don't yet know.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:36 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:27 pm
That we don't yet know.
I suppose we just know the ones that are safe, which arguably cover FIDE's core or necessary functions.

Global Strategy Commission (Is that new?)
Events Commission.
Chess in Education Commission.
Women’s Chess Commission.
Disabled Commission.
Rule Commission.
System of Pairings and Programs.
Qualification Commission.
Technical Commission.
Online Commission.
Trainers’ Commission.
Medical Commission.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:05 pm

I do hope they haven't dumped the Commission on Commissions. That quintessence of FIDE deserves a special place in the bureaucratic Pantheon

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:24 am

The culling of Commissions and the capping of the members within them recently announced has led to some issues for the ECU as well as FIDE and ECU representatives have to fill a form out and then presumably a decision will be made as to whether they are really needed or not. The reason I mention it is that the form they have to fill out contains a complete list of the new commissions, 18 FIDE and 4 ECU:

FIDE/ECU Commissions:
1. Global Strategy
2. Disabled
3. FIDE Events
4. Qualification
5. Planning & Development
6. Swiss Pairing & Programs
7. Chess in Education
8. Chess data & History
9. Media
10. Fair Play
11. FIDE for Women’s Chess
12. FIDE Online
13. FIDE Rules
14. FIDE Social
15. FIDE Arbiters
16. FIDE Trainers
17. FIDE Technical Commission
18. FIDE Medical

1. ECU Events
2. ECU Education
3. ECU Arbiters
4. ECU for Women’s Chess

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:59 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:24 am

FIDE/ECU Commissions:

10. Fair Play

No Ethics? Or is that part of "Fair Play"?

Can we work out what else iss missing? Journalists is one I think.

(edit) I see from the ECU announcement
the 3 elected Commissions (Constitutional, Ethics and Verification).
(/edit)

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:39 pm

Hmmm I assume this holding FIDE statement on the World Rapid and Blitz World Championships means that there are negotiations still going on with Saudi Arabia. If not, then given the wording of the statement, it perhaps is some other country with which many will have issues? Unusually with Sutovsky he's not saying anything other than this official statement.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:53 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:39 pm
Unusually with Sutovsky he's not saying anything other than this official statement.
That's because he's in charge now. He commented, quite rightly in my opinion, that his Facebook feed shouldn't pre-empt anything that appears on the FIDE website.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:58 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Hmmm I assume this holding FIDE statement on the World Rapid and Blitz World Championships means that there are negotiations still going on with Saudi Arabia. If not, then given the wording of the statement, it perhaps is some other country with which many will have issues? Unusually with Sutovsky he's not saying anything other than this official statement
Hhmm. If instead of "we expect to have an event confirmed this week", why not wait a few days, and confirm the event? Suggests (to me, at least) that FIDE is some distance away from confirming 'the event'

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:07 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:58 pm
Chris Rice wrote:
Hmmm I assume this holding FIDE statement on the World Rapid and Blitz World Championships means that there are negotiations still going on with Saudi Arabia. If not, then given the wording of the statement, it perhaps is some other country with which many will have issues? Unusually with Sutovsky he's not saying anything other than this official statement
Hhmm. If instead of "we expect to have an event confirmed this week", why not wait a few days, and confirm the event? Suggests (to me, at least) that FIDE is some distance away from confirming 'the event'
Because he was on record as saying, on his Facebook page, that he had received a number of emails about it, and they expected to make an announcement at the end of last week. People had noticed that the self-imposed deadline had passed, but nothing had been announced. So the interim announcement was no doubt to stop the inevitable chain of messages and email traffic he would have received. I've made the mistake of failing to meet a self-imposed deadline before...

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:49 pm

The ACP Board who probably can't believe their luck in getting everything they ever wanted have now got a challenge as to where do they go from here? A statement has been issued which sees the end of Emil Sutovsky and a few others:

Dear ACP Members,

Recent developments in FIDE have caused the present ACP Board to believe its main purpose for the term has been fulfilled. ACP has always aimed to improve the situation of the professional chess players and we can now proudly say that we succeeded. The extent of our success is such that the current government of FIDE has accepted all ACP suggestions and has massively drawn from the current ACP Board for key posts in its own team.

While this is a very positive outcome for the chess world, we also feel this situation calls for urgent action. We think that the ACP Board is no longer viable to continue in its current composition and that ACP needs a new lead.

The current ACP President has been entrusted with the role of FIDE Director General and is of the opinion that he should immediately quit his position. The same applies to all other Board Members, although some of them might decide to run for a new term.

Please be aware that an Elective General Assembly is coming in the second half of December and we would like to ask you to come forward if you would like to run for either ACP President or ACP Board Member.

This is a new era for both FIDE and ACP. Let’s make it a great one.

The ACP Board

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:18 am

You know, not so far back in here, I thought that in a certain post EU could be substituted for FIDE and UK for ACP.

On second thoughts... it sounds like some real progress might be about to be made here.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:01 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:53 pm
Chris Rice wrote:
Unusually with Sutovsky he's not saying anything other than this official statement.
That's because he's in charge now. He commented, quite rightly in my opinion, that his Facebook feed shouldn't pre-empt anything that appears on the FIDE website.
Sutovsky just posted on FB:

"BREAKING:
World Rapid and Blitz Championships is on!
Dates: Dec 25 (arrival) - Dec 31 (departure). Prize giving is on Dec 30 early evening, making it possible to leave on that night.
FIDE still finalizes details - and they are going to be published next week, but we found it important to update the players as soon as we could confirm on the event. Sorry for the late announcement, but it really required quite a bit of work to find an organizer for such a massive and costly event, while at the same time sticking to our principles."

Someone not surprisingly asked "Where?" to which the response was:

"Where every eligible player is allowed to enter. Can't say more at the moment." followed a bit later by...

"The most important was to announce it is on. We could wait another 5 days finalizing everything, but it was decided we confirm, thus players can plan accordingly. We are not ready for the formal announcement on other details."

This is a bit ridiculous, how can players plan at such short notice and they don't even know where they are playing?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:07 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:01 pm

Sutovsky just posted on FB:

"BREAKING:
World Rapid and Blitz Championships is on!
Dates: Dec 25 (arrival) - Dec 31 (departure). Prize giving is on Dec 30 early evening, making it possible to leave on that night.
FIDE still finalizes details - and they are going to be published next week, but we found it important to update the players as soon as we could confirm on the event. Sorry for the late announcement, but it really required quite a bit of work to find an organizer for such a massive and costly event, while at the same time sticking to our principles."

Someone not surprisingly asked "Where?" to which the response was:

"Where every eligible player is allowed to enter. Can't say more at the moment." followed a bit later by...

"The most important was to announce it is on. We could wait another 5 days finalizing everything, but it was decided we confirm, thus players can plan accordingly. We are not ready for the formal announcement on other details."

This is a bit ridiculous, how can players plan at such short notice and they don't even know where they are playing?
He has given would-be players and arbiters an extra five days' notice of the dates.