The English Language

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
John McKenna
Posts: 3762
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by John McKenna » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:31 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:45 pm
after 15 ... bxc3 16 i.xc3 i.a6 17 i.xa6 1:1xa6 18 1:1c l a4! Black should be satisfied.

'Should' implis advice or guess?
That's a cryptic clue at best.
To find a for(u)m that accommodates the mess, that is the task of the artist now. (Samuel Beckett)

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2825
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:09 pm

Still, it is better to fight with one pawn less than two, even if the result should be the same!

What does 'should' mean here?

Thanks in advance

Andy Stoker
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:23 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by Andy Stoker » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:30 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:09 pm
Still, it is better to fight with one pawn less than two, even if the result should be the same!

What does 'should' mean here?

Thanks in advance
That the same result is expected in either case. Does not imply anything to do with legality or morality

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2825
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:08 am

Andy Stoker wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:30 pm
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:09 pm
Still, it is better to fight with one pawn less than two, even if the result should be the same!

What does 'should' mean here?

Thanks in advance
That the same result is expected in either case. Does not imply anything to do with legality or morality
So here 'should' means 'is still'; 'anyway'?

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2825
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:37 am

Andy Stoker wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:02 am
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:23 am
Andy Stoker wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:38 pm
Yes, I think so - more or less
'drum up' seems to mean differntly in
Black needs some primi­tive action, but this is not easy to drum up.
right?
No - this seems exactly like we had discussed before: " it means to encourage, to bring to greater activity (the idea of people responding to the beat of a drum) - in a chess sense, I suppose it could be used about - for example - drumming up a king side attack by advancing pawns, or re-activating a bishop by re-deploying it ... it has the sense of attack, I think." This seems a typical example - Black apparently needs some "primitive action" (for example to attack white's king) but the author cannot see how this could be generated ("drummed up")
up to that time, I thought 'to drum up' meant to gow, develop. But I can conclude nothing from drumming up a Bishop and
druming up a primitive action. Means widening the scope of? If so, what about druming up a primitive action?

Similarly, what to make of this definition, considering drumming up a primitive action?
http://learnersdictionary.com/definition/drum%20up

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2825
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:17 pm

What's the difference between resources and possibilities?

John McKenna
Posts: 3762
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by John McKenna » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:32 pm

Resources are what you have to rely on when the possibilities are ending.
To find a for(u)m that accommodates the mess, that is the task of the artist now. (Samuel Beckett)

Andy Stoker
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:23 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by Andy Stoker » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:37 pm

up to that time, I thought 'to drum up' meant to g[r]ow, develop. But I can conclude nothing from drumming up a Bishop and
druming up a primitive action. Means widening the scope of? If so, what about druming up a primitive action?

Similarly, what to make of this definition, considering drumming up a primitive action?
http://learnersdictionary.com/definition/drum%20up
The image seems to be difficult for you to grasp - so maybe it's a cultural reference. Imagine there is going to be a football match and the home team wants more supporters in its ground ... Someone goes out and plays a drum so everyone knows the game is happening and to encourage people out of their houses and into the football ground. Or the proprietor stands at the door of his restaurant and tells people about his great food and attractive prices - he is drumming up support.

So, in chess, one player is marshalling her/his pieces and making them work together to attack the other side. When it's a "primitive action", it could be something as straightforward as Bd3, Qh5, Ng5 to attack the castled King.

Andy Stoker
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:23 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by Andy Stoker » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:45 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:08 am
Andy Stoker wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:30 pm
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:09 pm
Still, it is better to fight with one pawn less than two, even if the result should be the same!

What does 'should' mean here?

Thanks in advance
That the same result is expected in either case. Does not imply anything to do with legality or morality
So here 'should' means 'is still'; 'anyway'?
Not quite - "should" in this context refers to the expected outcome ... for example "She should arrive by 12:00) - "if he concentrates, he should get good marks in the test". The idea is off expectations rather than a definite outcome.

If you used "is still" or "anyway" it would imply a definite relationship - compare:
"Whether White plays Rh1 and Rh3 or Rf3 and Rh3, the outcome is still the same - because the rook ends up on h3"

"White could attack the king by advancing the f-pawn or the h-Pawn. The result should be the same, but the position is complicated and I cannot be sure"

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2825
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:07 am

Andy Stoker wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:37 pm
up to that time, I thought 'to drum up' meant to g[r]ow, develop. But I can conclude nothing from drumming up a Bishop and
druming up a primitive action. Means widening the scope of? If so, what about druming up a primitive action?

Similarly, what to make of this definition, considering drumming up a primitive action?
http://learnersdictionary.com/definition/drum%20up
The image seems to be difficult for you to grasp - so maybe it's a cultural reference. Imagine there is going to be a football match and the home team wants more supporters in its ground ... Someone goes out and plays a drum so everyone knows the game is happening and to encourage people out of their houses and into the football ground. Or the proprietor stands at the door of his restaurant and tells people about his great food and attractive prices - he is drumming up support.

So, in chess, one player is marshalling her/his pieces and making them work together to attack the other side. When it's a "primitive action", it could be something as straightforward as Bd3, Qh5, Ng5 to attack the castled King.
You gather supporters, isn't it?
If so, What about initiative/counterattack?

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2825
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:18 am

What's the difference between loss of time4 and wasting time?
Like:
I should benefit from the loss of time involved in the ttJd2-fl -e3 manoeuvre.
Loss of time is unacceptable in modern chess.
29 h3?!
A loss of time.
Plan C (1S points) is quite similar to Plan B, but White does not need to waste valuable time by moving his queen without a good reason.
Also, I must keep in mind that tempi really count in such po­sitions, so I must not waste any time and opt for a direct attack with 12 g4.
White cannot afford to waste much time and [..]

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2825
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:52 pm

What does it mean to blast open a file?

Barry Sandercock
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 am

Re: The English Language

Post by Barry Sandercock » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:58 pm

Not a chess term, but it probably means to play aggressively and take control of a file.

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2825
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:22 am

Thanks.
What's the difference between a decisive and a critical mistake?

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2825
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:21 pm

White is reduced to moving his bishop, wait­ing for the opportunity to move his king to d5 when the black king moves away, or, alterna­tively, reach the promotion square with his king.

means wating for opportunity to:
1) move his king to d5 when the black king moves away
or
2) reach the promotion square with his king when the black king moves away
?

Post Reply