World Senior Individuals, Bled, November 2018

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Mick Norris
Posts: 7218
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: World Senior Individuals, Bled, November 2018

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:45 pm

Round 8 pairings include

GM Arkell Keith C 2443 5 5 GM Arakhamia-Grant Ketevan 2373
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Leonard Barden
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: World Senior Individuals, Bled, November 2018

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:54 pm

Fine performance by Ken Norman in the 65+, scoring 2.5/5 against IMs.

Mick Norris
Posts: 7218
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: World Senior Individuals, Bled, November 2018

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:54 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:45 pm
Round 8 pairings include

GM Arkell Keith C 2443 5 5 GM Arakhamia-Grant Ketevan 2373
I see Keith won this, and then drew with black against the leader Movsziszian today

Penultimate round pairings

1 10 IM Kalegin Evgenij 2413 7 7½ GM Movsziszian Karen 2513 2
2 9 GM Bagaturov Giorgi 2417 7½ 6½ GM Bischoff Klaus 2507 3
3 17 IM Cummings David H. 2331 6½ 6½ GM Sturua Zurab 2529 1
4 7 GM Arkell Keith C 2443 6½ 6½ IM Van Der Werf Mark 2402 12

Good luck to Keith; presumably 2 wins needed for a medal
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7185
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: World Senior Individuals, Bled, November 2018

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:09 pm

Good luck to David Cummings as well (ex. England and Wales many years ago, now Canadian).
I am sure Keith won't want another last round pairing against Sturua!

Keith Arkell
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:10 am

Re: World Senior Individuals, Bled, November 2018

Post by Keith Arkell » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:10 am

Cheers for the support guys.

I think with so many at the top already having played each other, countrymen Sturua and Bagaturov are likely to play each other in the last round; whereas Sturua and me have actually never played each other in the last round of anything, ever!

I've a very tough round 10 game, but if things were to go well I'd likely get White v Kalegin in the last rd, because he's played everyone else at or near the top.

John Moore
Posts: 1722
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: World Senior Individuals, Bled, November 2018

Post by John Moore » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:17 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:09 pm
Good luck to David Cummings as well (ex. England and Wales many years ago, now Canadian).
I am sure Keith won't want another last round pairing against Sturua!
Well done also to my club colleague, Ivan Myall, who is on 5.5 out of 9 in the over 65s - a fine performance by someone who started the tournament with a rating of 1995.

Tim Harding
Posts: 1720
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Contact:

Re: World Senior Individuals, Bled, November 2018

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:07 pm

Keith unfortunately lost today. Also In the 50+ Jonathan and Ketevan Grant were paired and had a quick draw.

Craig Pritchett is doing very well in the 65+. He just drew and has 7/10 but the leaders are setting a breakneck pace. Balashov and Jansa both have 8.5/10 so we shall have a new champion, one or other of them.

Some games are still in progress. The last round starts 0900 GMT tomorrow.
Tim Harding
Historian and Kibitzer

Author of 'British Chess Literature to 1914', Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

John Moore
Posts: 1722
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: World Senior Individuals, Bled, November 2018

Post by John Moore » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:35 pm

Fred Berend's game today is an excellent example of Space Invaders for those who remember the Arcade Game.

Richard Bates
Posts: 2819
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Re: World Senior Individuals, Bled, November 2018

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:39 am

Tim Harding wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:07 pm
Keith unfortunately lost today. Also In the 50+ Jonathan and Ketevan Grant were paired and had a quick draw.

Craig Pritchett is doing very well in the 65+. He just drew and has 7/10 but the leaders are setting a breakneck pace. Balashov and Jansa both have 8.5/10 so we shall have a new champion, one or other of them.
Unless they both draw and Rashkovsky wins?

NickFaulks
Posts: 4770
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: World Senior Individuals, Bled, November 2018

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:45 pm

Dinah lost in the end, but a terrific performance against one of the greatest women players of all time. Both players down to a couple of minutes. Top board in the final round, can't be bad!

Keith Arkell
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:10 am

Re: World Senior Individuals, Bled, November 2018

Post by Keith Arkell » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:21 pm

Here's a summary of some of the outstanding performances, of which there were many, from 'team England':

in the 50+ Terry Chapman was very impressive in building up a score of plus 3 ( 7/11) to gain 31 rating points and finish 13= ( 17th on tie-break) in a group of mostly IMs and GMs.

Philip Owens gained 18 rating points with his score of 4.5/11.

In the 60+ Ken Norman gained 22 points for his score of 6.5, which included a good total against his IM opposition.

Ivan Myall gained a wooping 59 Elo points for his 6.5 and 2215 performance ( as a 'mere' 1995 rated player!).

Ian Reynolds had a brilliant 2146 performance as a 1969 rated player.

In the Women's 50+ Ingrid Lauterbach was on the top boards throughout, and gained 38 rating points with her score of 6/11.

And finally, Dinah Norman: 50%, gaining 29 rating points, holding her own against a whole string of higher rated opponents, and what a way to finish the event - top board against legend Nona Gaprindashvili!
Last edited by Keith Arkell on Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 2731
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: World Senior Individuals, Bled, November 2018

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:50 pm

"Philip Owens gained 18 rating points with his score of 4.5/11."

Er, Owen Philips surely?

Anyway, well done all!

Keith Arkell
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:10 am

Re: World Senior Individuals, Bled, November 2018

Post by Keith Arkell » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:36 pm

Oops, sorry, Owen, and that was after only one glass of wine!

NickFaulks
Posts: 4770
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: World Senior Individuals, Bled, November 2018

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:37 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:50 pm
"Philip Owens gained 18 rating points with his score of 4.5/11."

Er, Owen Philips surely.
If Owen prefers to travel incognito for any reason, I don't think it's our place to out him.

Richard Bates
Posts: 2819
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Re: World Senior Individuals, Bled, November 2018

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:08 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:21 pm
Here's a summary of some of the outstanding performances, of which there were many, from 'team England':

in the 50+ Terry Chapman was very impressive in building up a score of plus 3 ( 7/11) to gain 31 rating points and finish 13= ( 17th on tie-break) in a group of mostly IMs and GMs.

Philip Owens gained 18 rating points with his score of 4.5/11.

In the 60+ Ken Norman gained 22 points for his score of 6.5, which included a good total against his IM opposition.

Ivan Myall gained a wooping 59 Elo points for his 6.6 and 2215 performance ( as a 'mere' 1995 rated player!).

Ian Reynolds had a brilliant 2146 performance as a 1969 rated player.

In the Women's 50+ Ingrid Lauterbach was on the top boards throughout, and gained 38 rating points with her score of 6/11.

And finally, Dinah Norman: 50%, gaining 29 rating points, holding her own against a whole string of higher rated opponents, and what a way to finish the event - top board against legend Nona Gaprindashvili!
What’s the convention? Make sure you play English juniors just before a World/euro junior tournament, and English seniors directly after a World/euro seniors ;)

Post Reply