Christmas Picture Puzzles

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Geoff Chandler

Christmas Picture Puzzles

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:50 pm

I fear these may have been a wee bit too hard. But I'm sure you knowledgeable crowd will find it a doddle.

A Famous Chess Player.

A famous chess player

A Famous player, a chess piece and.....an opening

Another famous player. A clue is the flag in the tower.

A famous King on an 8x8 chessboard.

This one is causing problems, famous player and author, what is he doing, the flag on the trunks, the red book.

If you want the answers then here:

https://www.redhotpawn.com/chess-blog/t ... s-quiz.405

But not cheap shot to get hits, I don't need them, I'll put the answers here, though I'm sure I won't need too, next week.

Leonard Barden

Re: Christmas Picture Puzzles

Post by Leonard Barden » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:47 pm

Australian??? Go to the back of the geography class....

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:54 pm

Ha Ha...New Zealand. No wonder they were mumbling and grumbling.

Suppose I'd better fix it. (nobody else has noticed - thank you Mr. Barden.)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:01 pm

Fixed.

Famous New Zealand player, what is he doing, (and the red Spassky book.)

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:29 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:54 pm
Ha Ha...New Zealand. No wonder they were mumbling and grumbling.

Suppose I'd better fix it. (nobody else has noticed - thank you Mr. Barden.)
As soon as I saw that picture, I was thinking - the result of long and bitter experience - "has he got the flag right?"

Thank you, Mr Barden, for the correction. You saved me the trouble. (But shouldn't dunces be sent to the front of the class, so's teacher can keep a watchful eye on them?)
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi John,

Loathed having to correct it. I'm of the publish and be damned school but it had to be done.
(I could have wriggled and said it was part of the Quiz. 'did you spot the deliberate mistake?')

Worked for years next to a New Zealand girl who had a New Zealand flag displayed on her monitor,
So knew what the flag was but for some reason (probably because I'm an idiot) I thought Bob was an Australian.
I Know it's like calling a Scot British or even worse English, but it was an error.

Googled the flag because I knew they were thinking about changing it.
Do not want to be accused of not keeping up with current affairs.

The debate has it's own wiki page displaying alternative flags.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_flag_debate

Maybe I should leave the flag off and just put 'BW' in the trunks. ('is it Baruch Wood?')

Afraid at the schools I went too there was no dunces cap, they just thrashed the living daylight out of you.
Got strapped once (a split leather thong belted with Victorian venom across the palm of each hand) for not
closing my eyes during morning prayers. I was 7 or 8. What a way to start the day.
I thought it was a bit unfair, how did they know unless they too had their eyes open.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:24 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:47 pm
Maybe I should leave the flag off and just put 'BW' in the trunks. ('is it Baruch Wood?')
Oh another bloomer! That would clearly be insufficient address. It would have to be BHW

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:57 pm

Hi Michael,

You are nit-picking, Bob Wade is actually Robert Graham Wade.

I could not put RGW on the trunks.

Everyone called him Bob - even you.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8245&p=176756&hilit ... de#p176756

B.H. Wood is correct, everyone uses that, but I could not think of another player with B.W. initials.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:57 pm
Hi Michael,

You are nit-picking, Bob Wade is actually Robert Graham Wade.

I could not put RGW on the trunks.

Everyone called him Bob - even you.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8245&p=176756&hilit ... de#p176756

B.H. Wood is correct, everyone uses that, but I could not think of another player with B.W. initials.
Of course I was nitpicking, but only in light jest! My comment was actually just that BW would never have been given as the initials of B H Wood.
Indeed Bob Wade was Bob Wade but as I only met him when aged 14 in a different social climate, I never dared to use 'Bob' to his face (though nevertheless he treated us juniors with great respect and was always ready to listen to us).

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:07 pm

Hi Michael,

Figured a jest. (can you think of a player with B.W.)

Met Bob in my early 20's, don't think I called him Bob either. I would have opened with Mr. Wade.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:14 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:57 pm
I could not think of another player with B.W. initials.
Not surprising. A quick trawl through some 220 players on Chessgames whose surnames begin with W reveals only eight having any forenames starting with B. Highest rated is Bruce Watson (2300) of NZ, followed by Bill Wall (USA, 2231), who is I guess, like Mr Wade, not a true "B" anyway. BW must be a bit of a New Zealand thing, because there's also [Peter] Bryan Weir, who I think rated about 2200-2300 at his peak. But none of these are exactly household names. (Well, Peter Weir is - and so is mine, come to that, in Oz and NZ anyway. But neither of us are the individuals who actually achieved fame.)

Kudos to you, Geoff, for researching the NZ flag debate. An expensive fiasco that was essentially the then-PM's vanity project. He wanted to go down in history for something, be "the man who .... " (but not in the H M Bateman sense). Ended up costing us taxpayers $26 million.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:33 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:47 pm
Afraid at the schools I went too there was no dunces cap, they just thrashed the living daylight out of you.
Tell the truth, I was pretty uneasy at using the d-word, with all its negative connotations. Just couldn't think of any other term that was concise enough not to disrupt the flow of the sentence. I'd edit the post now if it hadn't already been responded to. Too big a transgression for the sake of a lame little quip.

A bit surprised no-one's jumped on me for it. Especially in our more enlightened age when we're all far more aware of dyslexia, ADHD, and various other afflictions that inhibit learning. (Having a mild neurological disorder myself, which I was totally unaware of till about ten years ago, I'm all for more understanding of these matters, and appropriate early intervention.)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:19 am

Hi John,

I would not worry, It's me that is the dunce, I never took offence, just laughed. Guilty as charged.