Report: ECF Board meeting @ Hinckley Island 16th January

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Alex Holowczak

Re: Report: ECF Board meeting @ Hinckley Island 16th January

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:43 pm

Matt Harrison wrote:Ideally we should have a central home chess database containing results, cross-tables, league tables, grading and all connected to a player database. Then add in the ability for players/congress administrators to add their own game scorecards to the database.
Hear, hear.

Ben Hague

Post by Ben Hague » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:02 pm

The chess nuts site already does a lot of this for Yorkshire chess. It certainly shows all graded games by everyone going back a few years, and I think also allows results to be added automatically. I've found it really impressive to terms of speed and coverage. I don't see any fundamental reason why it couldn't be extended, but I admit to not knowing much about the in's and out's of how it works

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:03 pm

Matt Harrison wrote:Ideally we should have a central home chess database containing results, cross-tables, league tables, grading and all connected to a player database. Then add in the ability for players/congress administrators to add their own game scorecards to the database.
A no-brainer!

But... do the ECF Board and Council have the brains? :wink:

Good thread, so much to agree with.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:21 pm

michele clack wrote:In principle this looks a very good idea and might well attract quite a few members. How would it work in practice though? Am I right in thinking that results are added in blocks at the end of the season? For this idea to be most effective in attracting new members it would need results to be added quickly after they happen. With computers being widespread now I think this could be possible as long as graders agreed.

The grading site is published on block yes but whenever I get an update
michele clack wrote:As a matter of record who would maintain the new database, would it be Carl as at present?
No idea, I work for free so probably?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:22 pm

Matt Harrison wrote:This would be a positive first step. However it would be a shame to limit it to looking at your own results. I think most of us can keep track of those ourselves. What's needed is an ability to drill down to see other people's results.
Agreed, my idea however of how it should actually work was rejected :(
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:23 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:But... do the ECF Board and Council have the brains? :wink:
I do...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:42 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Paul McKeown wrote:But... do the ECF Board and Council have the brains? :wink:
I do...
However, it is the Board and the Council that would initiate such a winning development, and sadly, Carl, you sit on neither Board or Council...

Let's hope it does happens, though.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:26 am

Adam Raoof wrote:
When David Welch was able to be present, we discussed plans for and and the Board approved the budget for the 2010 British Championships in Canterbury and ways in which we could promote the event more effectively.

Are there any plans which can be published for the 2011 and subsequent events?

Who is now in charge of the British at both Director and Manager level? Did Stewart take it with him to Marketing, leave it behind in International or return it to Home?

For what it's worth, I would have thought that holding the event next door to the Channel Tunnel was an opportunity to promote the non-championship events to a European audience.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:31 am

British is with Adam Raoof as Home Director. Dave Welsh and I are co-managers with David taking more to do with Organisation and me playing conditions.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:28 am

Unfortunately Kent has had little allure to most of my team.

Therefore we have organised a British group(currently having 12 players and many more possibles) to go to Czech open which is much cheaper and better quality opposition relative to strength.

If any British Players want to join our little trip. Please contact me and I can email you details/ add you to the facebook group.

Kind regards

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:40 am

Ben Purton wrote: Therefore we have organised a British group(currently having 12 players and many more possibles) to go to Czech open which is much cheaper and better quality opposition relative to strength.
Ouch. You have to wonder how much of a future the British Championship has if this is the case (quite aside from the lack of Scottish presence, lack of Adams/Short, and the fact that it struggles to break even anyway).

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:49 am

Well the seaside you can wing under holiday...Kent Uni you cant.
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:04 pm

I can't speak for the attractions of the Czech Open, but when I studied at Kent (or the University of Kent at Canterbury as it was then styled) many of the students lived out at Whitstable and Herne Bay, which would comfortably fit a definition of 'seaside' as would other towns on the Isle of Thanet.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:10 pm

Better Prizes/Entry fee ration, Cheaper accomdation, Better looking women, Cheap good beer. Better food.

The list is endless to why Czech Open > British

Adam Raoof

The British Championships 2010

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:01 pm

J T Melsom wrote:I can't speak for the attractions of the Czech Open, but when I studied at Kent (or the University of Kent at Canterbury as it was then styled) many of the students lived out at Whitstable and Herne Bay, which would comfortably fit a definition of 'seaside' as would other towns on the Isle of Thanet.
There is a new high speed rail link from London which makes Canterbury not only faster and cheaper to get to from London and the South East, but also from the continent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/557 ... -Kent.html

St Pancras, Ashford, Canterbury, Folkestone, Dover, Whitstable, Ramsgate, Margate and the Medway Towns are all connected to the high-speed line, which is run by Southeastern Trains.

http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/in ... /highspeed

At the British Championships there are not only grandmaster games to watch in the top section, but also a full programme of other events such as the Major Open and all the National Championships including the Seniors and Junior Championships. Take a look at the site for 2009 here;

http://www.britishchess09.com/

and not only that; there are many events taking place in the evenings to suit all levels of player and the whole family. Whatever your grade or age there are events for you!

Canterbury is a fantastic place, and personally the coastline at Whitstable is one of my favourite destinations. For more ideas look at the excellent Tourism Website:

http://www.canterbury.co.uk/

PS. Anyone can qualify from a suitable tournament to play in the Championships. Even I managed it last year ;-)
Last edited by Adam Raoof on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!