Bolton Rapidplay Sunday 18 November 2018

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Mick Norris

Bolton Rapidplay Sunday 18 November 2018

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:26 am

You are welcome to enter by email to this event and pay on arrival. Please send your entry to [email protected]

37th BOLTON RAPIDPLAY

A one day Chess Congress organised by Bolton Chess Club

DATE: SUNDAY 18th NOVEMBER 2018

VENUE: Ukrainian Social Club
99 Castle Street, BOLTON, BL2 1JP
Prize fund £1165

TOURNAMENTS

THE OPEN: Open to all players
Prizes : £200, £100, £50. Under 180 :- £50.

THE MAJOR: For players graded 165 and below
Prizes : £180, £90, £45. Under 145 :- £45.

BOLTON KNIGHTS: For players graded 125 and below
Prizes : £180, £90, £45. Under 110 & 95:- £45 each.

ENTRY FEES. ADULT: JUNIOR u18
ECF Bronze or Non-Member £23.00 £21.00
ECF Silver, Gold, Platinum Member £15.00 £13.00

ECF Graded.

Chess Direct Bookstall
Po Box 18, Mexborough, S64 9AR.
Tel: 01709 890565
www.chessdirect.co.uk
Ukrainian Social Club

The venue for the event is in the function room of the Ukrainian Social club. The venue offers excellent playing conditions. The lunch break is a full hour, as food will not be on sale. Tea and coffee will be available. The bar will open from 12 noon.

Directions
By Car : Approaching from Manchester on the A666, leave the dual carriageway at the slip road signposted Bury A579 (A58). Turn right, towards Bury, then right at the next set of lights, into Castle St. The venue is 50 yards on the left. There is a small car park and plenty of on street parking.

By Train : Turn left outside the train station, down the hill. Cross Manchester Road and the Junction with the A666. Castle Street is the next junction. Turn right into Castle Street and the venue is 50 yards on the left. The walk is 10-15 minutes

ECF Membership.
Membership status for all entrants will be checked.
Game fee of £7 is not payable by Silver, Gold and Platinum ECF members, so this is discounted from the entry fee. The £7 extra paid by ECF basic BRONZE competitors will be passed on to the ECF to upgrade their membership category to SILVER, thus enabling them to enter subsequent events and claim the discount. Entrants claiming the game fee discount must have renewed their membership before the event.

TIMETABLE
Round 1: 10.10 am to 11.10 am
Round 2: 11.30 am to 12.30 pm
LUNCH 12.30 pm to 1.30 pm
Round 3: 1.30 pm to 2.30 pm
Round 4: 2.50 pm to 3.50 pm
Round 5: 4.15 pm to 5.15 pm
Round 6: 5.40 pm to 6.40 pm

Rate of play 30 minutes for all your Moves

ENTRIES

The closing date for entries is FRIDAY 9 Nov
Entry can only be effected by payment of the appropriate fee. Late entries will be accepted, subject to a late fee of £2.00.
For entries on the day the late fee is £5.00
Send entries to:- R Middleton, Chess Congress, 97 Dovedale Road, Breightmet, BOLTON, BL2 5HS with cheques made payable to ‘BOLTON CHESS CONGRESS’. Competitors may claim a half point bye on entering.
Competitors must quote their current Rapidplay Grade on entry.
Competitors with no Rapidplay Grade must quote their current ECF grade. Ungraded players must indicate on the entry form any recent tournament results and an indication of their playing strength.
The organisers’ decision is final in all disputes. The organiser reserves the right to reject any entries without stating a reason.

====================CUT HERE========================
BOLTON RAPIDPLAY 2018 - ENTRY FORM
PLEASE PRINT CLEARLY
Name ............................................. Club ........................
Address ..............................................................................
.............................................................................................
........................................... Postcode...........................
Email…… .................................................................
Tel No .............................
Section .......................... Grade ............ in .....................list
Date of Birth (if age discount applies) ...........................
ECF Reg. number ………………Category………………...
I enclose £ ................. comprising £ ................. entry fee,
£ .................. late fee and a donation of £ ..........................

Signed ........................................... Date ............................
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Re: Bolton Rapidplay Sunday 18 November 2018

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:44 pm

Entries as at 7 November

Open

FM Paul Macklin Chorlton214 Op
Kamil Celinski Poland 212 Op
Mark Hann Altrincham 197 Op
Mitchell Burke 3Cs 194 Op
Tomas Carroll Hoylake 191 Op
Robin Moss Notts Nomads190e Op
Tim Hilton Rochdale 177 Op

Major

Mick Connor Great Lever 165 Mj
Sam Davies Tiger Chess 158 Mj
Robert Clegg Huddersfield153 Mj
Chris Vassiliou Chorlton 152 Mj
Tamas Szilard Sheffield 149 Mj
David Patrick Calderdale 143 Mj
Jordi Bitloch Urmston 142 Mj
Bill Tait Ilkley 141 Mj
Kevin Winter Bradford 134 Mj
Neil Jones Maryport 133 Mj
Doug Barnett Crewe 131 Mj

Knights

Kyden Waite Lancaster area Kt 125
Howard Hughes Chorlton 123 Kt
Neville Layhe Crewe 123 Kt
Gerry Whitehead Eccles 121 Kt
Ian Mitchell Heywood 120 Kt
Sajjad Dehghan-Afifi, Urmston Kt 119
Alex Sosnwski Eccles Kt 118
Khalid Khokhar Northenden 116 Kt
Nick Davison Liverpool Kt 104
Parshottambhi Patel Bolton Kt 100
Darren Lambourne Preston Area e99 Kt
Andrew De Santos Preston 99 Kt
Richard Bohm Bury 93 Kt
Michael Carroll Hoylake 93
Mike Swift Bolton 93 Kt
John Light, Limewood & Scarcroft Kt 90
Ken Parkin Shipley Kt 88
Brian Crompton Pensby Kt 86
Roy McCormick Frodsham Kt 85
Alina Waite Lancaster area Kt e 75
Les Hall Crewe Kt 72

John Neely

Post by John Neely » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:59 pm

Why are all the rapid events in the North held on Sundays? This one. The Stockport one on Sunday 27th and Hull on Sunday 6th January? At least they are not held on the same exact day, (crazy) as has happened before, but Saturday would surely be a better day as most people work Monday to Friday?

Edit: Sorry there is the Coventry one also on Sunday the 27th, 2019. Why are these events on Sundays and why do they clash with other similar events?
Last edited by John Neely on Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:15 pm

John Neely wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:59 pm
Saturday would surely be a better day as most people work Monday to Friday
Now let me think about that one.
Would I rather play chess tired after five days of work or go into work tired after one day of chess?
Difficult one!

John Neely

Post by John Neely » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:19 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:15 pm
John Neely wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:59 pm
Saturday would surely be a better day as most people work Monday to Friday
Now let me think about that one.
Would I rather play chess tired after five days of work or go into work tired after one day of chess?
Difficult one!
So you can go back to work Monday tired after travelling to and from chess tournaments?

No, I would rather play Saturday thanks.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:25 pm

I think the North has a fair amount of Saturday league chess, which will tend to push rapidplays onto Sundays.

John Neely

Post by John Neely » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:39 pm

Yes that's a fair point. County matches run about every three weeks so it would be possible to organise in-between matches, but I suppose it's easier for the tournament organiser just to run it on a Sunday. It's no excuse to organise it on the exact same day as another local Northern tournament though, which happened last year (or the year before) with three events held on the exact same day?? (Nottingham/Stockport and York if I recall and then basically no other tournament for 11 months or so.)

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:46 pm

Venues cheaper/more readily available on Sundays? Chess tourneys are rarely arranged as we would wish; rather, as we can get

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:30 am

Stockport has pretty much always been on the same Sunday so other events should know
At least 1 Stockport member works Saturdays not Sundays
There's also not clashing with football e.g. the majority of the Bolton organisers go to Wanderers matches
Some venues are rented out Saturday nights so are available Sunday not Saturday for chess

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:52 am

I run my Birmingham Rapidplays on Sunday, rather than Saturday. The venue we use at the moment isn't available on Saturday because other activities use the centre. I think a fighty martial art is the main one, so I'm unwilling to have an argument with them about using the venue one week. :)

harrylamb

Post by harrylamb » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:15 pm

The reason that there are few one day events on Saturdays is fixture congestion. There are very few if any Saturdays dates that do not clash. Causes of clashes include

• Weekend tournaments
• County matches
• 4NCL
• A full football fixture program, A full football program costs 15-20 entries. Plus in Bolton’s case all the control team are season ticket holders
• Yorkshire league matches

By the time you add all these up and include the availability of the room you want to use there is normally no suitable Saturday to hold the event.

To support my comments I run a team jamboree held on a Saturday. I always had great difficulty picking a date. Now I deliberately clash with the FA cup final. It is not a good solution. But it is clear of chess clashes!

Incidentally
John Neely wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:39 pm
It's no excuse to organise it on the exact same day as another local Northern tournament though, which happened last year (or the year before) with three events held on the exact same day?? (Nottingham/Stockport and York if I recall and then basically no other tournament for 11 months or so.)
It is not true that there was no other tournament for 11 months or so. In the six month period starting 1 February 2019 there are about six quickplays held on Sundays according to the ECF calendar.

Also do you really consider that running a rapidplay tournament 70miles away from another one is a clash. With a rule like that a lot of tournaments would be banned
No taxation without representation

John Neely

Post by John Neely » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:34 pm

I appreciate the responses, but I don't want to comment further here because I don't want to derail this thread which has nothing to do with the topic directly, my appologies to Mick Norris. I will start a new thread to discuss these issues which has nothing directly to do with the Bolton Rapidplay on Sunday the 18th here and then edit this post showing the new thread when I get to it. Thanks.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:02 am

No apology needed, John

There's a separate thread about the Rapidplay in the Congress Results section; now if you'd have commented there, and failed to mention that I had a won a prize, I would have been upset :lol:

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:41 pm

"There's a separate thread about the Rapidplay in the Congress Results section; now if you'd have commented there, and failed to mention that I had a won a prize, I would have been upset "

Absolutely!