CAA Minutes

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alan Atkinson

CAA Minutes

Post by Alan Atkinson » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:34 pm

Please note that the CAA minutes are available at http://www.chessarbitersassociation.co. ... nutes.html

AA

Richard Bates

Re: CAA Minutes

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:32 pm

Quickplay finish laws being abolished from 2021? 😲

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:46 pm

At first I feared that the breach of personal relations between committee members played out by email was being brought here. I am glad to see that is not the case. I congratulate Alan Atkinson on taking on the role of Secretary.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:47 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:32 pm
Yes, that was announced some time ago. It really is time for players and organisers in England to move with the times!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:12 pm

Quickplay Finishes were unlikely to form any part of the Laws from 2021. It was clarified that it would still be possible to play with analogue clocks but positions such as K+N v K+N would be decided by whose clock fell first.
Leagues will just ignore them (the arbiters). Copy and Paste whichever version of the FIDE rules makes most sense and adopt it for local play. If that fails copy and paste something the BCF would have produced before FIDE got involved.

You would go back to adjudication (at a very high move number) rather have than have games determined by a move piece, press clock physical speed contest.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:24 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:47 pm
Richard Bates wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:32 pm
Yes, that was announced some time ago. It really is time for players and organisers in England to move with the times!
Absolutely. However, I think this will happen instead:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:12 pm
Quickplay Finishes were unlikely to form any part of the Laws from 2021. It was clarified that it would still be possible to play with analogue clocks but positions such as K+N v K+N would be decided by whose clock fell first.
Leagues will just ignore them (the arbiters). Copy and Paste whichever version of the FIDE rules makes most sense and adopt it for local play. If that fails copy and paste something the BCF would have produced before FIDE got involved.

You would go back to adjudication (at a very high move number) rather have than have games determined by a move piece, press clock physical speed contest.
It'll be interesting to see if the ECF updates its rules to permit that to happen in an ECF-graded event. I suspect that with Council full of leagues that, in Paul's words, don't move with the times, it'll get added by Council resolution if needs be. Just like adjudication did.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:09 pm

The new Commission Chairman may be less keen to make that change.

That comment is made with no inside knowledge. However, knowing some of the members I still think the likelihood is that QP finishes will not be in the Laws.