ECF Membership List

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Upham

ECF Membership List

Post by John Upham » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:50 pm

Now that ECF web site access to the ECF Membership List has been withdrawn, what is the means by which a club membership secretary (such as myself) can check to see if a club member requires nagging to join the ECF?

I'm sure that this nagging has increased the number of ECF members and now this mechanism has been withdrawn.

Telephoning the ECF office on a per member basis is not a good use of my time.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

MSoszynski

Re: ECF Membership List

Post by MSoszynski » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:47 pm

An important matter. A club can be surcharged (through a league) for fielding players who are not ECF members. This already happens.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:52 pm

John Upham wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:50 pm
Now that ECF web site access to the ECF Membership List has been withdrawn, what is the means by which a club membership secretary (such as myself) can check to see if a club member requires nagging to join the ECF?
Look them up on the grading website, e.g.
ECF.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:56 pm

If I search for club members in the grading list - I get a list of members with their membership status displayed. No idea how often this data field is up-dated but its one option. Failing that you could always ask the member themselves.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:11 pm

From November's Board meeting minutes:
November Board meeting minutes wrote:8. GDPR Update

Stephen explained the measures which were being taken to protect personal data on the ECF website including information security related changes, facility for certain member information to be removed from list on request, and planned changes to membership list accessibility.

Action agreed for note on membership list changes to go out to organisers in Nov/ Dec 2018 with explanatory notes to be added to web site.
I've not seen the intended note to organisers. Nor can I seen any explanatory notes on the website.

Presumably the list will be accessible to organisers - but how? Also, why is the list no longer available when the same information - in less convenient form - is available through the grading website?

As Jonathan says above, club reps can obtain membership information for their members (or most of them, presumably) via the grading website and finding by club (rather than by player).

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:37 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:52 pm
John Upham wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:50 pm
Look them up on the grading website, e.g.

ECF.JPG
Ian, I won't be spending my time looking them up one at a time when I could have looked at the entire list for a club.

No more encouraging people to join the ECF from me.

What is the rationale for allowing access via the Grading database (which lags behind) compared with from the downloadable list ? Can someone explain this please?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:38 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:56 pm
If I search for club members in the grading list - I get a list of members with their membership status displayed. No idea how often this data field is up-dated but its one option. Failing that you could always ask the member themselves.

I have asked people if they are ECF members and sometimes they say they are when they are not just to stop the nagging.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:44 pm

Just need to get the right sort of members John. If they can't answer a straightforward question then they are likely to cause you further issues down the line I suspect. But the grading list route is sufficient for most cases is it not?

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:11 pm

If you search for your club on the ECF grading database you can then click on a list of all players affiliated to your club with a margin that shows their membership status (or lack thereof). The league management software also has an option to generate a report of non members. So two very workable solutions.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:21 pm

There was a round-robin email from Andrew Walker (ECF office) on or about 19 December stating that "We have been reviewing our publicly available information in order to meet both the letter and spirit of the requirements of GDPR..." and explaining what provisions the ECF expected to make to enable bona fide organisers - as opposed to the merely inquisitive, prurient or mal-intentioned (my words, not Andrew's) - to access such information. I take it that some or all of the posters here haven't received such emails.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:39 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:21 pm
There was a round-robin email from Andrew Walker (ECF office) on or about 19 December stating that "We have been reviewing our publicly available information in order to meet both the letter and spirit of the requirements of GDPR..." and explaining what provisions the ECF expected to make to enable bona fide organisers - as opposed to the merely inquisitive, prurient or mal-intentioned (my words, not Andrew's) - to access such information. I take it that some or all of the posters here haven't received such emails.
Thanks Roger. I didn't receive the email from Andrew although I'm a controller for a league and also its results officer. I'm not sure I knew a list of organisers existed if it's distinct from the results officers' mailing list... Also the GDPR aspect is curious as there was no data in the membership list which isn't available from the grading website (save for entries for people who are members but don't have a grading reference). As I results officer I used to use the membership list to report to clubs on the number of games played by non-members...

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:48 pm

Angus French wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:39 pm
Thanks Roger. I didn't receive the email from Andrew although I'm a controller for a league and also its results officer. I'm not sure I knew a list of organisers existed if it's distinct from the results officers' mailing list... Also the GDPR aspect is curious as there was no data in the membership list which isn't available from the grading website (save for entries for people who are members but don't have a grading reference). As I results officer I used to use the membership list to report to clubs on the number of games played by non-members...
I suspect that no such list exists and Andrew was left to decide for himself, with limited information, who to email. I'm slightly reluctant to disclose publicly the full contents of Andrew's email but I've always found him exceptionally helpful and I'd guess that, on request, he'll not only send you his 19 December email but also add you to his list for further information.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:02 pm

I'll write to Andrew.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:40 am

I wrote to Andrew and he's helpfully provided a link to the (password protected) Organisers' Area of the ECF website from where the membership list is now downloadable.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:08 pm

Angus French wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:40 am
I wrote to Andrew and he's helpfully provided a link to the (password protected) Organisers' Area of the ECF website from where the membership list is now downloadable.
Thanks. Will do the same.

John