Vladimir Kramnik Announces Retirement

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.

Graham Borrowdale

Re: Vladimir Kramnik Announces Retirement

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:09 pm

Very sad day. Always an inspirational player to me, and very principled, for example in his work to reunite the different world championships.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:18 pm

Wasn't expecting that, might help explain his recent result though!
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:30 pm

"Very sad day. Always an inspirational player to me, and very principled, for example in his work to reunite the different world championships."

Agreed.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:40 pm

No, it should not be seen as a sad day!

He moves on to new pastures and makes clear he will still be with us. Rather, we should smile, wish him well and look forward to whatever he next turns to.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:10 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:40 pm
No, it should not be seen as a sad day!

He moves on to new pastures and makes clear he will still be with us. Rather, we should smile, wish him well and look forward to whatever he next turns to.
Agree with that; sad to see him stop, but glad he's doing so at a time of his choosing; my favourite player, been a rollercoaster ride especially over the last couple of years
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:13 pm

Apparently the Russian chess federation still hopes he can play for them in next year's Olympiad.

That might be a more satisfactory way to bow out, always assuming that he felt up to it.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:22 pm

I was (perhaps selfishly) sad as I wouldn't see any new games from him. Of course I want him to enjoy whatever he now does...

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:57 pm

'
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:13 pm
Apparently the Russian chess federation still hopes he can play for them in next year's Olympiad.

That might be a more satisfactory way to bow out, always assuming that he felt up to it.
TWIC "The President of Russian chess, Andrei Filatov says he wants Kramnik to play at the 44th Olympiad in Khanty-Mansiysk in 2020. He is quoted as saying "we perceive his decision as emotional and hasty,” following his bad result."

Romain Edouard "The new Kramnik, aka "I was completely winning", was much funnier than the old one, one of the greatest chess players ever. Don't know which one I'll miss the most. Thanks VK for all the fresh ideas brought to the chess board."

Peter Doggers article

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:40 pm

chess24 interview
I suspect that the world is going to change a great deal in 10-20 years, and we need to prepare a new generation of children, to instill in them flexibility of thought and the ability to apply your knowledge in various spheres of activity. After all, we’ve got no idea what professions will remain and be suitable for our children in the future, so the ability to react fast to changes in the surrounding environment will become a trump card, the main competitive advantage for young people. I’d like to develop those skills in the upcoming generation through chess, but not only through chess.
Any postings on here represent my personal views