Eastbourne, British Championships 1990

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Mark Ozanne

Eastbourne, British Championships 1990

Post by Mark Ozanne » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:37 am

Hello All,

I'm looking for some help with some historical information please - would anyone be able to provide any information on the venue for the British Championships that took place in Eastbourne in 1990? I've not been able to find any information online.

Many thanks, Mark

Roger de Coverly

Re: Eastbourne, British Championships 1990

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:15 am

Mark Ozanne wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:37 am
H would anyone be able to provide any information on the venue for the British Championships that took place in Eastbourne in 1990?
The Winter Gardens as far as I recall. The same venue was used in 1991.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:54 am

Don't forget that the start of the event coincided with the murder (by the IRA) of the local MP, Ian Gow.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:20 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:15 am
The Winter Gardens as far as I recall. The same venue was used in 1991.
Roger is correct.

Robert Page

Post by Robert Page » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:11 pm

I didn't remember the name of the building but a few things about the 1990 Championships spring to mind. I had no idea about the death of Ian Gow as it must have taken place in the morning as I was driving down and I had not had the radio on. The first I heard of it was at the opening ceremony when the mayor (I think) opened procedings by announcing that this was a very sad day for Eastbourne. The second thing I remember was a question and answer session hosted (again, I think) by Stewart Reuben with Mickey Adams and David Norwood on the panel.The Championships took place in the middle of a heatwave with temperatures of over 30 degrees. Stewart - if it was he! - said, 'Welcome to the hottest British Championships on record'. The papers were forecasting that the hottest day ever was just around the corner. The Telegraph's Matt as usual got it spot on with a cartoon showing a man entering a betting shop and sweating profusely . He says to the chap at the counter, 'I haven't come in to place a bet, I'm just trying to escape the heat!'

Mark Ozanne

Post by Mark Ozanne » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:23 pm

That's really useful information - thanks all for your time.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:58 am

The first week also coincided with the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait and Saddam's attempt to hold British citizens as human shields.

Then the dramatic fracas between former friends which left one in hospital and headlines in the Sun.

In the tournament itself, neither Speelman nor Adams coming close to the title and agreeing a quick draw in the last round to finish on a modest 7.5/11. Sadler even much further back, though he wasn't a GM yet.

But really, historians should focus rather on the joint winners of the Major Open, or, if it makes it simpler, just the currently active ones.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:46 pm

Kapil Dev hit Eddie Hemings for four successive sixes to avoid the follow on. Gooch didn’t need an excuse to get greedy.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:25 pm

I am in Tenerife and have only just come across this thread.

Only once have The British Chess Championships been held two successive years at the same location. That wss Eastbourne. The same venue is now used for the Summer Bridge Congress.

I came upon Luke McShane wandering around. He was 6. 'Hello, Luke. Are you lost?' Before he could reply, I said, 'Of course you can never be lost. You always know exactly where you are.' He laughed,put his little hands in the air and said, 'I can never be lost. I am always here.'
Some years later, I related this anecdote to his philosophy teacher at City of London School.

Cathy Forbes wrote a play in which several leading players and I appeared. I think it was called, 'Nunn the Wiser'. I may have a video of the play.

You can find extensive data on all the British Chess Championships in the Yearbooks of the time.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:05 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:25 pm
Only once have The British Chess Championships been held two successive years at the same location. That was Eastbourne. The same venue is now used for the Summer Bridge Congress.
Except in 2018, when the complex was being redeveloped. The EBU have gambled on the work being finished in time for the 2019 summer meeting.

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:25 pm
Cathy Forbes wrote a play in which several leading players and I appeared. I think it was called, 'Nunn the Wiser'. I may have a video of the play.
That was in 1991, the second of the two consecutive years. "Nunn the Wiser" was played by Mike Basman, who gave a teriffic performance.