GRENKE Classic

The very latest International round up of English news.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: GRENKE Classic

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:37 pm

After yesterday's game Carlsen said that he was tired. Not so tired that he couldn't demolish Aronian today, though :)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:22 pm

MVL - Vallejo Pons. I'm looking at this game at move 43 currently. And I'm thinking, if Carlsen were sitting either side, we'd be in the process of witnessing the world's first 1000-move game

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:49 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:22 pm
MVL - Vallejo Pons. I'm looking at this game at move 43 currently. And I'm thinking, if Carlsen were sitting either side, we'd be in the process of witnessing the world's first 1000-move game
I suggest you check out the 75-move rule (article 9.6.2) in the FIDE Laws of Chess.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:46 pm

Svidler- Carlsen White found a pleasing way to end the game :)

MVL - Keymer The youngster is having rings run around him. No final GM norm now from this tournament

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:25 pm

Carlsen wins GRENKE at a canter with 7.5 from 9. Remarkable performance! (But does anyone here care?)

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:33 pm

I do, tbh.

Looks like it could be an action packed last round too, this tournament has been an excellent one overall.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:07 pm

Incredible performance from Carlsen. I don't think anyone thought he could get near his previous peak of 2882 again, but now here he is with a live rating of 2875 and 'only' seven rating points away from setting a new record. In his last 18 games, he is +11 (that is 11 wins and 7 draws) with a gain of 30 rating points. As someone said, it must have been the prep for the match with Caruana that he is now unleashing on everyone else! :shock:

To put that in context, Caruana is also unbeaten over that time period where he has played 20 games, with 7 wins and 13 draws, but having played a much lower-rated field (and drawn far more games) has only gained 0.1 rating points.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:11 pm

Carlsen was one missed win v Anand away from a TPR of over 3000.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:56 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:07 pm
... it must have been the prep for the match with Caruana that he is now unleashing on everyone else!
Ironic if true, given the amount of criticism Carlsen’s team got during the match.

But actually I don’t think it is true. Obvs he’s using the same openings but he’s not getting winning positions from theory is he? His score on the black side of the Sicilian is extraordinary but he’s winning those games by playing better than his opponent not because his book ends at +3 in his favour.

A more interesting explanation - despite/because it being harder to pin down - is the weakness f his opponents play in his games today and yesterday. That’s not luck. He crushed Svidler and MVL’s spirit. Probably before they even got to the board to a great extent.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:25 pm

I was watching Carlsen-Anand live. Leko was baffled that Anand let Magnus get in his WC prep, but to Jonathan's point, that is one of the games Carlsen did not win.

I agree Magnus at full power is probably intimidating to even Svidler and MVL. But I don't think it is coincidental that a match with a worthy opponent seems to have raised his level.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:11 pm

Magnus benefitting from “prep”, an array of novelties and new opening ideas that he is only now getting the chance to play, no. Magnus benefitting from World Championship preparation - significant amounts of work put in to both expand and tighten up his opening repertoire, to seek deeper understanding of certain types of position (and comfort playing them), thinking more about chess psychology etc etc - undoubtedly.

And he gives the impression that he is really enjoying the game again.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:21 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:11 pm
And he gives the impression that he is really enjoying the game again
Absolutely!

There was a time, a while back, when he looked bored, on the verge of jacking it in. No longer. He's utterly dominant now. As others have observed, both Svidler & MVL gave way to his inevitable procession. Remarkable