What if a player falls ill....

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul McKeown

Re: What if a player falls ill....

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu May 16, 2019 3:05 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:57 pm
Leonard Barden wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:54 pm
Surprising that the article got Ulvestad wrong
Yes, that must surely be my error, I'll correct that when I can.
What surprises me about that story is how Ray Keene failed to know the German for "first aid".

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu May 16, 2019 11:15 pm

Seeing fire alarms were mentioned ("The Curse of Sedgwick"), I note that at a tournament David is controlling soon, the players' notes include a warning that there will probably be a fire-drill during the first two days. This seems remarkably prescient.

I recall at one tournament where I was arbiter, we discovered that a player (Peter Szabo) had taken the lift down to the refreshment area to get a cup of tea, but when he got the lift up, it stuck between two floors. I decided to stop his clock for a while so rescue could be attempted. His opponent was outraged, but I said we would wait a few minutes to see what happened. Eric Croker happened to be there and agreed with me, which helped. The Fire Brigade turned up and rescued the player, who then happily resumed the game. One of the firefighters asked if he could have a look at the games whilst someone else did the paperwork. A couple of players looked rather startled to see him in full uniform studying their position.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri May 17, 2019 10:26 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:15 pm
Seeing fire alarms were mentioned ("The Curse of Sedgwick"), I note that at a tournament David is controlling soon, the players' notes include a warning that there will probably be a fire-drill during the first two days. This seems remarkably prescient.
I haven't yet read those notes. Thank you for the alert.