Quit Stallin'

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
James Pratt

Quit Stallin'

Post by James Pratt » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:39 pm

I wonder: how many events these days lack bookstalls? Increasingly I find them not at all. :(

http://essexroad.blogspot.com

James Pratt

Re: Quit Stallin'

Post by James Pratt » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:53 pm

No answers? Then maybe that's a response all on its own ?!

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:08 pm

Not been to any congresses since earlier this decade, but bookstalls still seemed a regular thing back then?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:04 pm

It's a lot longer than that since I was a congress regular, but it seems that, in general, congresses are smaller. Also, declining numbers of players means a smaller market, plus online purchasing.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:13 pm

Congresses are smaller than in their 70s/80s heyday for sure, but I don't think they have particularly shrunk *recently*.

Your last point may be more pertinent, though.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Eric Gardiner

Post by Eric Gardiner » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:51 am

Chess Direct often have a bookstall at congresses in the North of England.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:03 am

Having spoken to a couple of book stall organizers, they get a bit fed up with travelling a long way and setting up an impressive display, only to find people browse, but don't actually buy anything until maybe half an hour from the end. Or maybe they don't buy anything. Nowadays, you can use the internet to buy and sell, and that is easier, although the buyer doesn't get the chance to look at the book before (s)he buys it.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:29 am

Tim Onions runs a junior oriented bookstall at many junior events. I suspect there is more buying from the bookstall at junior events than adult events where people think it is acceptable to handle books and then order them from Amazon.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:45 pm

People have always browsed at bookstalls though, and IMO it is quite acceptable to do so.

And I have almost always ended up buying *something* in any case......

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:20 pm

Hi James,

People browsing and then hunting online for the book is probably the main culprit.
I always try to get to a few things, mostly from the bargain box at the Edinburgh Congress.
If I want a new book, which can be pretty expensive, I'd buy it in the flesh, I dislike shopping online.
I cannot bear the wait. I want it now!

One should never pass a charity shop without popping in and looking at the sports/hobbies section.
90% of my collection of 400-500+ books (99% unread/unstudied) came 2nd hand.

If nothing then ask. I did recently and was told they don't sell so well but have some in the back.

Out came a Fischer 60 'black cover', Algebraic Logical Chess (with the error in game one still uncorrected)
a Judit Polgar on her games, Kotov's 'Thinking Ahead' which I gave away 10 minutes later to a player I met at a bus stop.
A standard Reinfeld in a bright blue and yellow stiff cover, Watson's book on the French and a 1986 chess magazine from
which I picked up that a King on e5 could be in check at the same time from two Queens (how?) and someone as White here.

played 8.Bxg7 and after 8...Qg5+ spotted they were losing a piece so resigned.

(I can build a whole article around such trivia.) the whole lot cost £5.00.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:48 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:20 pm
Hi James,

People browsing and then hunting online for the book is probably the main culprit.
I always try to get to a few things, mostly from the bargain box at the Edinburgh Congress.
If I want a new book, which can be pretty expensive, I'd buy it in the flesh, I dislike shopping online.
I cannot bear the wait. I want it now!

One should never pass a charity shop without popping in and looking at the sports/hobbies section.
90% of my collection of 400-500+ books (99% unread/unstudied) came 2nd hand.

If nothing then ask. I did recently and was told they don't sell so well but have some in the back.

Out came a Fischer 60 'black cover', Algebraic Logical Chess (with the error in game one still uncorrected)
a Judit Polgar on her games, Kotov's 'Thinking Ahead' which I gave away 10 minutes later to a player I met at a bus stop.
A standard Reinfeld in a bright blue and yellow stiff cover, Watson's book on the French and a 1986 chess magazine from
which I picked up that a King on e5 could be in check at the same time from two Queens (how?) and someone as White here.

played 8.Bxg7 and after 8...Qg5+ spotted they were losing a piece so resigned.

(I can build a whole article around such trivia.) the whole lot cost £5.00.
Wow! The magazine managed to include that without noting that 9 Qd2 actually wins?!

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Hi Jonathan,

The writer did mention 9.Qd2 winning but it was too late.

Not actually a resignation (or was it?) he (Jerry Hanken) was playing a computer and
after 8...Qg5+ switched it off in disgust and then spent the next hour
refraining from jumping up and down on it. Finally, In his words, He let it live.

Chess, April 1986. (which by chance I already had! Obvioulsy part of my 90% unread collection.)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:45 pm

...and whilst looking to see if any human v human had fallen for the same trick.trap/blunder.

The opening moves were.

I came across a game that reached here.

White instead of 6.0-0-0 played 6.Qxe4 and Black failed to play 6...Bxc3!

This article is writing itself.

Now if I can only find a game where two Queens (without a promotion) put a King in check at the same time then job done.

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:50 pm

Played in a tournament at the weekend - 12 months after my first since returning after a 35 year lay-off. Arrived early on the first day, so helped the bookstall guy unload. He had a large stock. He predicted he would take £200 - £300 over the weekend - not profit, just takings. I suggest that's why there are fewer stalls - if there are.
Probably too many browsing then buying - if at all - online?
I realise I have too many unread - or at least unstudied - books from my youth, so no intention to buy.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:53 pm

Andy Stoker wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:50 pm
I realise I have too many unread - or at least unstudied - books from my youth, so no intention to buy.
Me too, and I'm sure that many others find themselves in the same position. I'm a little embarrassed to browse even though I find it difficult to walk past. Once a year I do buy something and they always get my business, such as it is.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.