British Championship Congress 2019

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
JustinHorton

Re: British Championship Congress 2019

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:53 pm

Any clue as to why Lorin D'Costa resigned, if indeed he did?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:54 pm

The next 2600 is an interesting question. I tried to think of another sport where amateurs on the fringes of international class compete with hardened professionals. I thought of Michael Hutchinson in cycling time trialling, who was very dominant in domestic championships and very occasionally in higher level events such as the Commonwealth Games. I don’t think there was a great deal of money in what he was doing, and probably he is the equivalent of a 2450-2500 type chess player. On the rare occasions when he tried his hand at world level events he’d usually be left behind, and he’d often be used as an example of the difference between a good amateur and a good professional. I think in British Chess it’s something of a similar scenario, where you can rise to being a big fish in a small pond, but out in Europe the real professionals may well eat you alive. I think it could be a long wait.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:10 pm

Next 2600: Shreyas Royal

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:11 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:53 pm
Any clue as to why Lorin D'Costa resigned, if indeed he did?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL0EoXdpOqg

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:44 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:54 pm
The next 2600 is an interesting question. I tried to think of another sport where amateurs on the fringes of international class compete with hardened professionals. I thought of Michael Hutchinson in cycling time trialling, who was very dominant in domestic championships and very occasionally in higher level events such as the Commonwealth Games. I don’t think there was a great deal of money in what he was doing, and probably he is the equivalent of a 2450-2500 type chess player. On the rare occasions when he tried his hand at world level events he’d usually be left behind, and he’d often be used as an example of the difference between a good amateur and a good professional. I think in British Chess it’s something of a similar scenario, where you can rise to being a big fish in a small pond, but out in Europe the real professionals may well eat you alive. I think it could be a long wait.
Darts. Maybe Snooker.

Lorin D'Costa

Post by Lorin D'Costa » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi all, I would like to go on record with the events that happened today in the British Championships during the round 6 game.
During my game with Charlie Storey, I went out to the adjacent room to purchase a cup of tea. When I got back, an arbiter accosted me and asked if I had my phone in my drawstring bag I had on my back (where my wallet was). I admitted immediately this was true, and then he told me I would have to be defaulted. A second arbiter came over and agreed with his colleague. They said it was the rules, however they kept dithering on this for quite some time as if they felt bad to make it, and I eventually asked if they could make a final decision as this was dragging on. Many of you will say to me 'Lorin these are the rules' however if this is what chess has come to, where I cannot pop out for 2 minutes to get a cup of tea for the game, then so be it. I offered the arbiters to take my phone and check anything to see for cheating, but they flat out refused.
I then was told my opponent, Mr Storey, had asked them to follow me. Whilst he was within his rights to ask the arbiter(s) this, what happened next was rather unsavoury. Just outside of the playing hall, Mr Storey says with strong conviction to the arbiters 'I don't want you to default him, I want him to go in there and resign'. I asked why, and he said 'to save your reputation'.
I am sure you can imagine I was rather surprised and not impressed by Mr Storey's behaviour. Even after he walked away the arbiter admitted 'that it was ridiculous' behaviour from Mr Storey. He said it in a cold, hard way which was accompanied by a strong and aggressive stare towards me, which he held for quite some time.
If we are going to talk about reputation, it should be ironic that I am told to 'save my reputation' by Mr Storey when he himself has such throughout British chess (and further). To be spoken about to my face by a fellow competitor was not only deeply disappointing, but his aggressive behaviour came out of nowhere. Possibly he has some pent up feeling towards me, given we are both coaches as well as for the England Juniors abroad, and views me as some kind of threat or rival for his coaching business. I can assure Mr Storey that he need not give me the time of day in the future, his 'reputation' certainly in my eyes has been extremely tarnished.
I feel it correct to give my side of events today, and would like to say that I will look back on my return to the British Championships from a 17 year absence with 'fond' memories. Please do not expect a further response from me, this will be my last and only post on this forum-it might even be my final ever FIDE rated game I play in England. I still play chess for enjoyment, and not to compete with certain characters who will act in such a way. Friendliness and manners go a long way with me, Mr Storey should think about that when he is competing in the future.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:02 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:44 pm

Darts. Maybe Snooker.
Athletics, I should think.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:13 pm

Lorin D'Costa wrote:
Hi all, I would like to go on record with the events that happened today in the British Championships during the round 6 game.
During my game with Charlie Storey, I went out to the adjacent room to purchase a cup of tea. When I got back, an arbiter accosted me and asked if I had my phone in my drawstring bag I had on my back (where my wallet was). I admitted immediately this was true, and then he told me I would have to be defaulted. A second arbiter came over and agreed with his colleague. They said it was the rules, however they kept dithering on this for quite some time as if they felt bad to make it, and I eventually asked if they could make a final decision as this was dragging on. Many of you will say to me 'Lorin these are the rules' however if this is what chess has come to, where I cannot pop out for 2 minutes to get a cup of tea for the game, then so be it. I offered the arbiters to take my phone and check anything to see for cheating, but they flat out refused.
I then was told my opponent, Mr Storey, had asked them to follow me. Whilst he was within his rights to ask the arbiter(s) this, what happened next was rather unsavoury. Just outside of the playing hall, Mr Storey says with strong conviction to the arbiters 'I don't want you to default him, I want him to go in there and resign'. I asked why, and he said 'to save your reputation'.
I am sure you can imagine I was rather surprised and not impressed by Mr Storey's behaviour. Even after he walked away the arbiter admitted 'that it was ridiculous' behaviour from Mr Storey. He said it in a cold, hard way which was accompanied by a strong and aggressive stare towards me, which he held for quite some time.
If we are going to talk about reputation, it should be ironic that I am told to 'save my reputation' by Mr Storey when he himself has such throughout British chess (and further). To be spoken about to my face by a fellow competitor was not only deeply disappointing, but his aggressive behaviour came out of nowhere. Possibly he has some pent up feeling towards me, given we are both coaches as well as for the England Juniors abroad, and views me as some kind of threat or rival for his coaching business. I can assure Mr Storey that he need not give me the time of day in the future, his 'reputation' certainly in my eyes has been extremely tarnished.
I feel it correct to give my side of events today, and would like to say that I will look back on my return to the British Championships from a 17 year absence with 'fond' memories. Please do not expect a further response from me, this will be my last and only post on this forum-it might even be my final ever FIDE rated game I play in England. I still play chess for enjoyment, and not to compete with certain characters who will act in such a way. Friendliness and manners go a long way with me, Mr Storey should think about that when he is competing in the future.
These are the sort of people that chess has to deal with and he is that afraid of you to get a cheap point?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:17 pm

Lorin D'Costa wrote:
where I cannot pop out for 2 minutes to get a cup of tea for the game, then so be it.
British arbiters have been applying the rule for some time in UK events that you cannot take the phone with you if you leave the board. The penalty being to lose the game at the very least. The reasoning behind this, I would have thought obvious. It's OK for the phone or even tablet or laptop to be in a bag, but the bag has to stay in the playing room.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:27 pm

I am a bit confused that somebody professionally involved in chess doesn't appear to know this.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:32 pm

Lorin, I am sorry to hear what happened. You, of course, made a mistake but, from what you say, your opponent acted in a way that is totally reprehensible. I fully understand why you don't wish to comment further.

Charlie Storey is a member of this Forum and no doubt he will reply at some point.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:35 pm

What joy awaits us
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:37 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:35 pm
What joy awaits us
Indeed!

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:47 pm

I should imagine that over the last year, since the rule came into force at FIDE rated events, all sorts of very strong players have forgotten the rule. It takes a while for these things to sink in, and carrying a phone has been part of our everyday life for years before the rule came along; there lies the difficulty.

What is more likely to be unusual then is not Lorin forgetting the rule, but being approached by the arbiters. Although it does not change what happened, I would be curious to know which of the following applies:

a) Lorin had not left the playing area, as designated
b) Lorin had left the playing area and the arbiters had decided that everyone who does so must be approached
c) Lorin had left the playing area but was only approached because the arbiters had been asked to do so by his opponent

(I exclude the possibility that the arbiters chose to approach him on their own initiative, not being obliged to do so, since they were apparently not interested in looking at the contents of the phone and so did not actually suspect him of "real" cheating).

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:59 pm

I do hope Charlie doesn't post on here. I totally agree that his behaviour sounds very poor. I would say this though, I think he has suffered some professional set backs and has been to a certain extent marginalized and alienated. I have a few concerns regarding his general mental health, and I hope he has a strong friend and family network around him that perhaps could help him get some help if he needs it.