British Championship Congress 2019

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: British Championship Congress 2019

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:04 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:37 am
Roger, you have mentioned this before and it may well be true, but how do you know that?
I would expect it was contemporary reports. Has it ever been the case that a win by mobile phone noise wouldn't count for Norms and rating? The FIDE site doesn't record her Norm history. Someone suggested her Norms were from events other than Liverpool, so she may have fallen short there.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:27 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:04 am
The FIDE site doesn't record her Norm history.
Actually it does, although you certainly have to know where to look.

https://ratings.fide.com/title_applicat ... =22&reff=0

My point is that this was early days for such questions and a definitive answer could only have been obtained from QC, whom I do not remember being asked. While I have little doubt that the norm ( if otherwise valid ) would have been accepted, it was never tested so this is not a useful precedent.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:11 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:04 am

I would expect it was contemporary reports.
On this very site!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=420&start=15#p4030

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:39 pm

I have deleted Charlie's latest post on the grounds that it was, if not necessarily libellous, arguably close to being so, and I'd rather not get the forum involved in such an action.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:48 pm

Jack, I think that a well done is called for. Charlie obviously feels very strongly about this issue but his post was certainly pushing the boundaries.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:50 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:39 pm
I have deleted Charlie's latest post on the grounds that it was, if not necessarily libellous, arguably close to being so,
Charlie made the point that Lorin had been absent from the board for some time. But was it not the case that Lorin had been intercepted on his way back from the Rosetor (refreshment area) and some time elapsed while arbiters debated what to do?

Charlie Storey

Post by Charlie Storey » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:22 pm

There was nothing libelous about my post. You can read it at StoreySniper.com forum in the Monthly Update. Lorin attacked me on this thread because he broke Fide rules on having a mobile phone in his bag and he has not apologised, nor has the owner of this forum for allowing it. I want an investigation into whether he used his phone in the out of bounds toilet and I want to know why he is allowed to attack me in this thread.
FIDE Master/FIDE Trainer PGCE Won170+ Opens
Many National Junior Champions 1-1
ChessBase Author
ICC Presenter
England junior Team Coach 2008-19
Head of WCJS
Https://ChessSERVICESmap.com
https://chesscasestudy.gr8.com/
www.QueensGambitAcademy.com

Charlie Storey

Post by Charlie Storey » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:24 pm

This will be my last post on this Forum if my posts are to be taken down.

As I suspect it will not be reinstated I will get back to running my organisation.

Farewell Chess friends and remember Cheaters NEVER prosper.

Sniper out.
FIDE Master/FIDE Trainer PGCE Won170+ Opens
Many National Junior Champions 1-1
ChessBase Author
ICC Presenter
England junior Team Coach 2008-19
Head of WCJS
Https://ChessSERVICESmap.com
https://chesscasestudy.gr8.com/
www.QueensGambitAcademy.com

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:00 pm

Charlie, I have no idea why you expect an apology from Carl. That seems to me to be quite beyond the pale. What I would say is I hope you think again and post on the Forum in the future because your posts are often entertaining and informative. But I think that this is certainly enough about the Lorin incident.

Li Wu

Post by Li Wu » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:02 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:18 am
Asking for a resignation could have been uncertainty as to how the rules for Norms applied. As it happens a win by mobile phone default does still count and for rating as well, but a rare occurrence. Ketevan's win against Nigel in the Liverpool 2008 event counted or would have counted for a Norm. (For those unfamiliar, Nigel placed his phone on the table and seemingly switched it off. Unknown to him, he had only put it to standby, so it continued to consume power. Partway through the game, it decided to alert him to its lack of power.)
Fair enough that does make sense. I would be annoyed as well if that were the case, and I've had a good tournament. Judging by the reaction it sounds like Charlie was almost certain that Lorin was cheating as well? I would strongly disagree based on what's been posted but I wasn't there.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:07 pm

"I have deleted Charlie's latest post on the grounds that it was, if not necessarily libellous, arguably close to being so, and I'd rather not get the forum involved in such an action."

The latter point is a good one. May I propose that this always applies?

I would ask Charlie to carry on posting - I'm barred from talking about one particular incident, and it just amuses me that people are still fretting about it. There's lots of other things to discuss though.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:45 pm

John Moore wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:00 pm
Charlie, I have no idea why you expect an apology from Carl. That seems to me to be quite beyond the pale. What I would say is I hope you think again and post on the Forum in the future because your posts are often entertaining and informative. But I think that this is certainly enough about the Lorin incident.
Thank you John, I said something similar two pages back. The arbiters made a correct decision that the game was forfeited by Lorin. I do not wish to hear anything else about the game - that should be the end of the matter. This forum is not the place for interminable discussion by the participants or indeed other disinterested parties about this.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:12 pm

It has taken away something from other posts on this thread like young Michael Adams play.

I'm all for doubling the fees to enter. Especially for those retired on pensions.
Banning all internet.
Going back fifty years to the odd demonstration board and participants being charged for any printed bulletin.

2020 what venue?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:36 pm

Charlie Storey wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:22 pm
You can read it at StoreySniper.com forum in the Monthly Update.
That appears to cost £19.99 pm.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:03 am

Presumably that's pcm - per calendar month - as opposed to per min.