Andy Price

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
ben.graff

Andy Price

Post by ben.graff » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:14 pm

Very sad news. I am sorry to have to inform the forum that Andy Price passed away on the 12th August, after a few days in hospital. Andy was a regular at Leamington Chess Club for over forty years, and was playing for Throw in the Tal in the 4NCL in recent seasons. He was in Torquay only a couple of weeks ago and was a fixture at Congresses up and down the country.

Andy was hugely respected by everyone. I know he had a huge number of friends in the chess world and that this will come as a big shock to many - especially as he had been playing so recently. I count him as a team mate, friend and tough competitor in our many games over the years. I am so glad I managed to have several nice conversations with him in Torquay.

The Leamington and District Chess League will be a poorer place without Andy.

Typical Andy - I have been advised that he didn't want any fuss - and there will not be a public ceremony.

A real chess player. Truly one of our own.
Ben Graff
Author of 'Checkmate! Great Champions And Epic Matches From A Timeless Game' 'The Greenbecker Gambit' and 'Find Another Place'

Brendan O'Gorman

Re: Andy Price

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:46 pm

Ben, thanks for letting us know the terrible news. Andy really was one of the nicest, gentlest souls on the chess scene. Very shy, but good company once drawn out of his shell. I remember some years back, during the British Championships at Great Yarmouth, I asked him about Go and the next day he took the trouble to bring in a set with some opening, middle and endgame books to explain the game to me over lunch.

Here's a photo of Andy in action during the St Alban's congress last year.
Andy Price.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

James Coleman

Post by James Coleman » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:46 pm

Sorry to hear this. He was one of the tournament stalwarts that I used to often get paired against as a junior in the seemingly endless series of Nuneaton and Leamington Rapidplays in the early or mid 90’s. Tough player and a good sport whatever the result - although his experience usually told.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:05 pm

Sad news indeed always a gentleman.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:44 am

He looked to have a pretty good position in that picture.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Alan Ruffle

Post by Alan Ruffle » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:52 am

Dear Ben
Thank you for your words...……...a sad loss
Yours Sincerely
Alan Ruffle

Alan Ormsby

Post by Alan Ormsby » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:26 pm

On behalf of the Isle of Man chess community, I would like to express my condolences to Andy’s friends and family. He was a regular competitor in the Major section of the Monarch Assurance tournaments at Port Erin in the 1990s and played in the Major section of the last five editions of the Isle of Man International in Douglas. He will be sadly missed.