English Events in MegaBase ?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Upham

English Events in MegaBase ?

Post by John Upham » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:34 am

I've noticed that over the last four years (at least) that of all the FIDE events that occur in England only the following has the games appearing in updates to MegaBase :

The London Chess Classic

Of course of there is no obligation for events to send their games to Chessbase for inclusion.

Do we know why English events, in general, do not bother ?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

NickFaulks

Re: English Events in MegaBase ?

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:46 am

John Upham wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:34 am
Of course of there is no obligation for events to send their games to Chessbase for inclusion?
Do you have to do that? I was thinking that CB trawled for them.

edit : I wonder whether it's a closely related point, that PGNs are not submitted with FIDE rating reports. This is encouraged, but not strictly required, for events giving norms.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:50 pm

John Upham wrote:
I've noticed that over the last four years (at least) that of all the FIDE events that occur in England only the following has the games appearing in updates to MegaBase :

The London Chess Classic

Of course of there is no obligation for events to send their games to Chessbase for inclusion.

Doing a search for my games from last year in Mega 2019, I find Hastings, Newcastle and the British …

https://beauchess.blogspot.com/

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:10 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:50 pm
John Upham wrote:

The London Chess Classic

Doing a search for my games from last year in Mega 2019, I find Hastings, Newcastle and the British …

https://beauchess.blogspot.com/
Thanks Tim. Are you sure you have not updated the database from TWIC or manually from pgn downloads ?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:11 pm

Absolutely sure. I do not update Mega - just renew it each year

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:58 pm

John Upham wrote:

The London Chess Classic

They appear to publish most 4NCL congress games and some others - 16 events so far this year; just over 50 English events last year, although I've no idea how many were in weekly updates and how many only in the annual update.
John Upham wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:10 pm
Are you sure you have not updated the database from TWIC or manually from pgn downloads ?
One thing we can be sure about is that if games have appeared in TWIC then ChessBase has them and could publish them. We know that because they occasionally don't change the source of games they do publish from The Week in Chess from TWIC to ChessBase.

Why don't they publish them? One reason is that they ration the weekly updates to just over 5000 games per week, so something has to be left out most weeks. Another may be that they think they can put any old rubbish (e.g. 12 U10 events and 5 U8 events so far this year) in the free weekly updates and they choose to keep the better events back for the annual updates that have to be paid for.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:47 am

"I was thinking that CB trawled for them."

And accidentally change "annotator" from whomever it was to "Chessbase".

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:25 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:47 am
"I was thinking that CB trawled for them."

And accidentally change "annotator" from whomever it was to "Chessbase".
I use only the online database, so know nothing about annotations. I rely on database.chessbase.com solely as an updated source of game scores.

Are the games in the database you pay for even the same set as those found online?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.