39th Surrey Chess Congress Oct 4 - 6

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Nick Grey

39th Surrey Chess Congress Oct 4 - 6

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:59 pm

39th Surrey Chess Congress @ Kingston University, Penrhyn Road, Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey

Oct 4 @ 6:00 pm – Oct 6 @ 7:00 pm
Contact: Russell Granat Email: [email protected] Web: http://www.surreychesscongress.co.uk [MAP]
Revival of a prestigious weekend congress after a successful event at the same venue in 2018. A FIDE-rated Swiss tournament with three sections. More details coming soon …

Daniel Young

Re: 39th Surrey Chess Congress Oct 4 - 6

Post by Daniel Young » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:33 pm

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:25 pm

We look forward to your entries...

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:26 pm

"Dear SCC Entrant

It is with regret that the Directors of the Surrey Chess Congress have taken a decision today that due to the low volume of entries received to date it is not viable to run the Congress this year.

A formal announcement will appear on the SCC Website later today.

It of course goes without saying that all entry fees will be refunded. Could I please ask you to provide me with your bank account details to enable a refund to be made. If you would prefer a refund by cheque please let me know.

[email protected]

Regards

Russell Granat"
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:43 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:26 pm
It is with regret that the Directors of the Surrey Chess Congress have taken a decision today that due to the low volume of entries received to date it is not viable to run the Congress this year.
Different experiences in different parts of the country. The organiser of the Crewe Congress which finished yesterday felt he had as many entries as the hotel could accommodate in its meeting rooms. This coming weekend clashes with a 4NCL Congress, but that's in the East Midlands. Both are residential, is that now a factor?

Mark Ashley

Post by Mark Ashley » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:41 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:43 pm
Adam Raoof wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:26 pm
Different experiences in different parts of the country. The organiser of the Crewe Congress which finished yesterday felt he had as many entries as the hotel could accommodate in its meeting rooms. This coming weekend clashes with a 4NCL Congress, but that's in the East Midlands. Both are residential, is that now a factor?
There is also an Essex v Middlesex u160 match this weekend. That might be pulling a few people away from the event?

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:03 pm

Adam thanks for the quickness of the post. I'll put something on later. I'll be looking at one of your Oct/Nov congresses to get my own chess fix.

We are aware of other congresses and where some of last years entrants are.

So the u160 fixture that was switched from 29/9 to this coming Saturday may have excluded some players but not too many. The u160 was less popular.

Much of the issue was a lack of entries from Surrey players.

I think the switch from half-term made it less likely to be a success but then again the venue was not available this coming half term.

The directors took this decision on sunday evening after speaking to the SCCA and the university this morning.

Nick

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:10 pm

I find this lack of success a head-scratcher. An apparently well-organised event last year in its revival, advertised well in advance; with good people involved in it near to a huge population in London. It does clash with Junior 4NCL in Basingstoke, but I can't imagine that would take up that many entries. There are plenty of events held not at half-term - in fact, I think that would be a negative impact on getting entries from children - so I don't think that's a problem. Entry fees are fine. Genuinely at a loss to understand why this shouldn't have worked and been successful. :?

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:07 am

" In the light of the Congress having received only a limited number of entries that does not make a financially viable event the Directors have reluctantly come to the view that the Congress cannot go ahead. We are disappointed at the need to cancel the Congress. We will of course refund all entry fees paid and we will be in direct contact with entrants to make repayment."

ABOVE is our official statement.

We were aware once the revised grades came out that a number of players locally went to 160+.
There were financial loss thresholds we agreed with SCCA.
As a joint county captain of our u160 team we received such a lack of response from about 60 players.
We defaulted 6/16 boards. I spoke to many on Saturday so a little more interest but not enough.
I'm aware that many of my club are not available for a variety of reasons.

The Directors big concern was the lack of entries from Surrey players. Especially 4 local clubs and that includes the Directors 3 clubs.

I am aware that some local players also coach juniors and as that is normally it has an effect. But we knew about Junior 4NCL well in advance.

Thanks Alex and all, it is a puzzler. But I want to wish those playing congresses this weekend and organisers wherever they are playing a great chess weekend. Nick

Mark Ashley

Post by Mark Ashley » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:05 pm

Hopefully, you will try to run the event again next year?