Thread withdrawn

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
TimWall

Thread withdrawn

Post by TimWall » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:00 am

Thread withdrawn
Last edited by TimWall on Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angus French

Re: Women's Recruitment Officer

Post by Angus French » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:22 am

Tim, congratulations on your appointment.

Dare I ask, will you also be working with Carl Portman, the new Development Officer, to help the federation achieve its goal of increasing female membership to 15% of the total?

Edit: When I posted I also considered making the point that another male has been appointed to a position with responsibility for women's chess. I didn't for fear of appearing too critical but, on reflection, I should have. I think it's important... Sorry, Tim. I didn't mean to cut across your announcement. Perhaps Chris Fegan or another Board member will respond?

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:27 pm

Congrats Tim!

Can I invite you, Chris and Helen to the Nat Schools girls' semi final at St Catherine's School in Bramley on January 12th to talk about the ECF plans for increasing female participation and involvement.

Last year approx. 270 girls attended, plus tens of parents, teachers and influential junior organisers. We cant guarantee anything, but it is significant that numbers have increased year on year for the last 6 years. There should be over 200 players at the very least.

This has to be a good platform from which to obtain and put forward ideas and to boost numbers and interest.

download/file.php?id=1474

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:28 pm

TimWall wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:00 am
to ensure that the ECF reaches out to involve many more women and girls in competitive and social chess at all levels.
There you go again. Where do you think these organisers and captains are, who are waking up in the morning and deciding to exclude women from all levels of chess? I have never known a single person involved in chess who wouldn't have been delighted if more women had shown an interest. You really do have an abysmal opinion of every organiser who isn't you.

The worst thing you can do is make women's participation part of some Soviet five-year plan. When I played for Uni a few years ago, we tried to get Victoria for every match. Because the ECF had told us to involve some women? Because it created a better social environment for the men to enjoy? No: because she wiped the floor with Division 2.

But here's the thing - in Singapore, she was a chess player. At the Uni, she was a chess player. To the 4NCL and the ECF, she was a Girl Chess Player. They absolutely wet themselves at how well she could play chess for a girl. And then, coincidentally, she lost interest.

Instead of "reaching out" and "involving" women, why not see them as independent thinkers with agency, who will reach out to us and involve themselves once the chess world is sufficiently interesting for them to care about?

Of course, a country that was serious about making the world of chess interesting to women would, at the absolute minimum, make funding for international women's teams equal to the funding for the men. Preferably, boost the women to where the men are now, and completely defund the men. That would be a fantastic headline in the Guardian! But it would mean taking Malcolm's toys away, and that's too difficult.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

TimWall

Thread withdrawn

Post by TimWall » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:44 am

Thread withdrawn
Last edited by TimWall on Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:47 pm

Angus French wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:22 am
Tim, congratulations on your appointment.

Dare I ask, will you also be working with Carl Portman, the new Development Officer, to help the federation achieve its goal of increasing female membership to 15% of the total?

Edit: When I posted I also considered making the point that another male has been appointed to a position with responsibility for women's chess. I didn't for fear of appearing too critical but, on reflection, I should have. I think it's important... Sorry, Tim. I didn't mean to cut across your announcement. Perhaps Chris Fegan or another Board member will respond?
In common with many others, I am very aware that Tim has strong views on how recent ECF appointments have been made. Whilst congratulating Tim on his appointment, I can't trace that this particular post was heavily advertised, if indeed it was advertised at all. Of course, it's entirely possible that a formal process was employed and Tim emerged streets ahead of a bevy of female candidates [and, indeed, I've no reason to doubt his capability] but this isn't self-evident. If Chris isn't willing to respond to Angus's invitation, perhaps Tim would?

TimWall

Thread withdrawn

Post by TimWall » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Thread withdrawn.
Last edited by TimWall on Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:17 pm

Yes, I think that's a fair answer to the WRO recruitment question and I'm obliged to Tim for the timely response. I have absolutely no idea how well, or otherwise, he and Carl will relate to one another and so don't propose to comment on that part of Tim's post. Instead, I'll just wish them both well in their new roles.

AndrewBanks

Post by AndrewBanks » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:45 pm

While I must congratulate Tim on his appointment, surely it is a sad state of affairs that ECF was not able to appoint a woman to the role of Women's Recruitment Officer?

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:16 pm

AndrewBanks wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:45 pm
While I must congratulate Tim on his appointment, surely it is a sad state of affairs that ECF was not able to appoint a woman to the role of Women's Recruitment Officer?
Why? Is there a smaller, pinker and more expensive Women's ECF that only women are allowed to grant membership of? Do we have to create little powerless jobs for women to keep them happy because we can't trust them with the important ones?
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

A.Kluckova

Post by A.Kluckova » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:39 am

Both semifinals are not in the same day, Southern is the 12th and Northern is the 11th.
It clashes with the 4ncl ?
IM A. Martin will be there in Southern semifinal with more than 200 school girls, most of them new in chess. The biggest UK female chess event ( I attended it with girls in 2013 and 2014).
And Women's Recruitment Officer ( never played chess so strong as like as IM A.Martin) needs to play lower board in 4ncl and wants to cover both events with stall (?!)
Are you sure we need a Women's Recruitment Officer in that case? Is not much effective cover this position also with stall ?

A.Kluckova

Post by A.Kluckova » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:13 am

When IM Martin writes the Northern Semifinal is in Bramley, it means is in Bramley, no in Bromley.
Bramley in Surrey.
As you can see, who is not only willing to come, but not even read

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:59 am

A.Kluckova wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:13 am
When IM Martin writes the Northern Semifinal is in Bramley, it means is in Bramley, no in Bromley.
Bramley in Surrey.
There are at least 5 Bramley's in England - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bramley - so I'd have thought it would be much more likely to be at one of the Northern towns of this name.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:07 am

Except it isn't the Northern semifinal, it's the Southern. All very confusing.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:07 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:59 am
so I'd have thought it would be much more likely to be at one of the Northern towns of this name.
I thought the Southern final was here.
http://www.stcatherines.info/
http://www.stcatherines.info/ecf-nation ... ionships-1

That's Bramley near Guildford, not to be confused with another southern Bramley, between Reading and Basingstoke. But it's certainly not Bromley in Kent.