Malcolm Barker.

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Andy Stoker

Re: Malcolm Barker.

Post by Andy Stoker » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:22 pm

The school is on half term next week - back 4th November.

The school magazines dating back to 1940s are in the public domain via https://www.oldeds.kes.org.uk
A quick whizz yields:
"We congratulate M. N. Barker on winning the British Boys' Chess Championship at Hastings on April 29th. Barker had also won the Warwickshire Junior Championship two weeks previously." 1949 p8

"The Junior International Tournament in November heralded the beginning of an era in which the School's reputation for Chess has greatly increased. In this event, the first of its kind ever organized, the use of Big School enabled one round to be held under conditions ideal for both players and spectators. J. Alexander finished within half a point of the two winners.
The outstanding success of the year was the winning of the British Boys' Championship by M. N. Barker. This is the third time since the competition started in 1923 that the School has produced the Champion. The introduction of the Warwickshire Senior Championship Tournament enabled most of the School Team to gain valuable experience against stiff opposition and gave them a chance to demonstrate their ability. M. N. Barker won his games against the two best players and was unlucky not to finish higher than fourth, whilst Macnab, E. Watson and Lloyd, K. W., also put up some very creditable performances.
The Annual Junior League Congress again provided an opportunity for more K.E.S. successes. The Warwickshire Boys' Championship was won by M. N. Barker, with R. T. Harrison second, and Macnab fifth. " (p25) [Note mention of Ken Lloyd - A.S.]

"Last season the School entered a team of eight in the Junior Postal League. The results are not yet complete, but there is a good chance of the School gaining first place.
In October, Mr. C. H. O'D. Alexander, himself a former School Chess Captain, played simultaneously against teams representing the various Birmingham Schools. Both the School teams, Lloyd (D. E.) and (K. W.) ; Barker (G. K.) and J. Alexander, obtained draws, a feat only equalled by one
other team. Eleven of the Schools' players are called upon regularly to play for the Junior County Team (20 boards) on Saturday afternoons ..." (p69) [Is this a brother of MN Barker? - A.S.]

"We congratulate M. N. Barker, Secretary of Chess, on successfully defending his title of British Boys' Chess Champion at Hastings, this year." 1950 p4

".... In individual tournament play, members of the School teams obtained even better results. At Easter, M. N. Barker won a qualifying tournament, open to boys under twenty years of age, for the right to represent England in the World junior Championships held in June. In the Warwickshire Junior Championships, J. B. Phipps tied for first place and G. K. Barker was runner-up in the Junior League Championships. M. N. Barker also won the Midland Junior Speed Championship, the next three places also going to members of the School team.
The following week, a party of eight took part in the British Boys' Championship at Hastings. M. N. Barker won the title for the third successive year, .... More recently, in the World Junior Championships held in Birmingham, M. N. Barker took second place in a strong field in which were three masters of established reputation. " 1951 p22

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:42 pm

Andy Stoker wrote: โ†‘
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:22 pm

In October, Mr. C. H. O'D. Alexander, himself a former School Chess Captain, played simultaneously against teams representing the various Birmingham Schools. Both the School teams, Lloyd (D. E.) and (K. W.) ; Barker (G. K.) and J. Alexander, obtained draws, a feat only equalled by one
other team. Eleven of the Schools' players are called upon regularly to play for the Junior County Team (20 boards) on Saturday afternoons ..." (p69) [Is this a brother of MN Barker? - A.S.]

Yes - Graham K Barker is his brother, born a year before him in 1933.

I have here the relevant entries in the 1939 Register.

At 38 Salisbury Road we find Frank (1867) Barker, his wife Ellen (1869) and their son Bertram (1899), the father of Graham and Malcolm, along with a servant. Frank is described as "Naval And General Transport (Chairman Of Company)" and Bertram as "Naval And General Brass Foundry (Managing Director)" so it looks like Bertram is running part of his father's company. They appear to be a fairly prosperous middle class family.

Lorna, Bertram's wife, is not there: we find her in a cottage in Chapel en le Frith, Derbyshire, along with three names which are not available as they may still be alive. I presume two of those are Graham and Malcolm (I can't find any other siblings). Perhaps, with war on the horizon, they decided the boys should move away from the big city.

Neil Blackburn

Post by Neil Blackburn » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:10 pm

Many thanks! The names of the Lloyds noted + they are in a number of the newspaper reports gathered today. Wonder if they are related to A. Lloyd of Olton, who I played some years ago.!?.
Had previously written on Alexander in connection with the bletchley park chess activities, without coming across the K.E.S. Reference. One more for me to look at when they are back after the holidays. Genuinely appreciate all the help and interest๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘. Bed time here - up at 4-00am.โ˜น๏ธ. Will get back to everything asap. Cheers guys. Neil.

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:25 pm

Alan Lloyd of Olton was an exact KES contemporary of mine - never heard him mention any connection to KW/DE Lloyd - fairly sure there wouldn't have been one.

Neil Blackburn

Post by Neil Blackburn » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:28 pm

Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:25 pm
Alan Lloyd of Olton was an exact KES contemporary of mine - never heard him mention any connection to KW/DE Lloyd - fairly sure there wouldn't have been one.
Thanks!! Nice guy, and a fine player - our game was great fun and ended in a fearful time scramble.๐Ÿคช

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:23 pm

I'm sure he is - though not seen him since 1972

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:52 pm

A bit of a side line, but I assume the "E Watson" isn't the Edwin(?) Watson who played for National Physical Laboratory and is/was the father of William Watson.

And is J Alexander any relation to CHO'D?

Sorry for the side track - it always seems to happen when you start finding out about the real target.

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:46 am

To my surprise, MN Barker was still at KES in 1952, when he was not only chess but also tennis captain ("lawn tennis played in the now fashionable scanty garb") .
In Barker's chess report, he thanks the teacher who was still in charge of chess into the 1970s - as I mentioned, this person is still active.
GK Barker studied Chemical Engineering at Birmingham University - another possible lead, if he pursued this profession (my own).
MN Barker is reported playing in the Glorney Cup in July 1952.

No indication of MNB winning academic awards

(KES was founded in 1552 - so [another time, another place] "AT THIS TIME OF CELEBRATION, THE SCHOOL SENDS ITS GREETINGS TO ALL THE OTHER GREAT SCHOOLS WHO THIS YEAR ARE LOOKING BACK ON FOUR HUNDRED YEARS OF THRIVING EXISTENCE. OUR HERITAGE IS RENOWNED AND WE WISH THEM WELL FOR THIS YEAR AND THE YEARS TO COME, UNITED WITH THEM AS WE ARE IN THE SERVICE OF GOD AND THE QUEEN.")

Neil Blackburn

Post by Neil Blackburn » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:37 pm

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:46 am
To my surprise, MN Barker was still at KES in 1952, when he was not only chess but also tennis captain ("lawn tennis played in the now fashionable scanty garb") .
In Barker's chess report, he thanks the teacher who was still in charge of chess into the 1970s - as I mentioned, this person is still active.
GK Barker studied Chemical Engineering at Birmingham University - another possible lead, if he pursued this profession (my own).
MN Barker is reported playing in the Glorney Cup in July 1952.

No indication of MNB winning academic awards

(KES was founded in 1552 - so [another time, another place] "AT THIS TIME OF CELEBRATION, THE SCHOOL SENDS ITS GREETINGS TO ALL THE OTHER GREAT SCHOOLS WHO THIS YEAR ARE LOOKING BACK ON FOUR HUNDRED YEARS OF THRIVING EXISTENCE. OUR HERITAGE IS RENOWNED AND WE WISH THEM WELL FOR THIS YEAR AND THE YEARS TO COME, UNITED WITH THEM AS WE ARE IN THE SERVICE OF GOD AND THE QUEEN.")
Thanks Andy!! I have a photo of Barker holding the Glorney cup trophy, via Alistair McGowan at chessscotland Much appreciate your help and contributions. Big 'cheers mate' from me!
Just posted letters to the addresses I have to M.N. and G.K. Will get down to K.E.S. after the half term, as long as Malcolm Barker is agreeable.
He may wish to avoid the publicity, or have other reasons for declining the interest.
G.K. may well have known my old aquaintance Bernard Cafferty via the Birmingham University Chess Club. Bernard was one of the three who tied for the British 'Boys Championship' when Barker - still eligible to play - declined to take part in 1952, along with another old friend Peter Gibbs . I Will go into that if Mr. Barker kindly permits me to write the intended article.
Didn't know about the tennis stuff - reminds me of another departed friend Keith Richardson who was a scratch golfer and England U-19 cricketer. I will post on Keith at some point on chess.com.
Thanks mate!!

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:42 pm

I'm not sure what the school will be able to tell you - partly for GDPR reasons, partly because there won't be much there:
There will be a record of Barker's DoB, address, father's(!) initial
I doubt they will have kept academic reports - it's just possible
Possible they will have a record of his destination after school
Don't know what else - it's worth establishing this in advance (obviously)
I was a member of Birmingham Chess Club 1970-72, when Cafferty (then teaching at St Phillips GS) and Gibbs were members.

I'm willing to try to contact the teacher who ran the chess club from late 40s to early 70s - as I say, he is still active.

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:43 pm

I'm not sure what the school will be able to tell you - partly for GDPR reasons, partly because there won't be much there:
I was a member of Birmingham Chess Club 1970-72, when Cafferty (then teaching at St Phillips GS) and Gibbs were members.

I'm willing to try to contact the teacher who ran the chess club from late 40s to early 70s - as I say, he is still active.
Last edited by Andy Stoker on Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Blackburn

Post by Neil Blackburn » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:43 pm

Thanks mate. Have dropped them an email on spec, so to speak. If you could contact the teacher that would be great. Met Bernard a few times, and knew Peter Gibbs well. Nice guys. Both very kind to me.

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:42 pm

Please tell me if you make contact with Barker and in what you are interested - I don't want to pester the teacher fruitlessly

Neil Blackburn

Post by Neil Blackburn » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:41 pm

Absolutely!! Letter in the Post tomorrow morning. The teacher idea is probably not a good one, on reflection.๐Ÿ‘

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:51 pm

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:46 am
To my surprise, MN Barker was still at KES in 1952, when he was not only chess but also tennis captain
Has the concept of "Captain of Chess" alongside "Captain of Tennis", "Captain of Cricket", "Captain of Rugby" etc now disappeared from the school system?
How many of the contributors here held the "Captain of Chess" title, usually in their final school year?