End of an era

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Robertson

Re: End of an era

Post by David Robertson » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:04 pm

Are we sure this announcement is genuine, and hasn't been cribbed from somewhere else?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:13 pm

"I suspect "panthalassic tsunami of pawns" is not a commonly used expression in game annotations."

In Somerset, we speak of little else.

I am certainly going to use that in an annotation (suitable acknowledged of course).

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:23 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:04 pm
Are we sure this announcement is genuine, and hasn't been cribbed from somewhere else?
Ha ha! Yes, I have a copy of the paper and I think Ian Thompson has also. "Panthalassic tsunami of pawns" is indeed in the article.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:38 pm

See here
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:03 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:38 pm
See here
Hmm... There's no attribution in Keene's piece and I reckon there are similarities with the annotations in Kasparov's My Great Predecessors Part 1 where the McDonnell - La Bourdonnais game is game 1.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:09 pm

Ha ha yes, it's not the word-for-word style Ray employed in his pomp but it does have a fair old whiff to it. White's fourteenth:

Ray:
A bad mistake. It was a serious error of judgement to provoke Black's foot soldiery into becoming passed pawns, as it proves absolutely impossible to blockade them on the light squares. After 14 Nd2 a4 15 Bc4 a3 16 b3 Bb7 White would have stood worse, but he could still have fought on.
MGP:
Apparently the decisive mistake: it was wrong to allow Black's pawns to become passed, since it does not prove possible to blockade them on the light squares. After 14 Nd2 a4 15 Bc4 a3 16 b3 Bb7 White would simply have stood worse (the opponent has the two bishops, the centre and so on), but he could still have held on.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:38 am

Anybody got today's?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:13 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:38 am
Anybody got today's?
Keene-Ligterink, London Lloyds Bank 1981.

Winning move puzzle: King-Keene, London 1982
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:17 pm

"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:04 pm

A small plug, Raymond Keene vs Gert Ligterink 5th Lloyds Bank Masters Open (1981), London ENG, rd 8, Sep-01, for one of our most important former sponsors.
I am puzzled nobody has commented on Ray's likely successor. I haven't discussed the matter with either Ray or Gawain, but would probably favour Gawain Jones as he is our leading player without a column. I believe it should be an English player of considerable status.

The decision may have already been made. But a letter to the editor of The Times, marked not for publication, may carry some weight.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:43 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:04 pm
A small plug, Raymond Keene vs Gert Ligterink 5th Lloyds Bank Masters Open (1981), London ENG, rd 8, Sep-01, for one of our most important former sponsors.
I am puzzled nobody has commented on Ray's likely successor. I haven't discussed the matter with either Ray or Gawain, but would probably favour Gawain Jones as he is our leading player without a column. I believe it should be an English player of considerable status.

The decision may have already been made. But a letter to the editor of The Times, marked not for publication, may carry some weight.
Obviously the money involved may be more important, but I can’t imagine writing a (good) daily column would be particularly compatible with continuing as a full time playing professional. Very different to a weekly or bi-weekly publication.

Maybe it’ll be Nigel? ;)

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:34 pm

I have frequently written to The Times suggesting that the chess column be moved from Times 2 (a sort of non-news magazine section) to the main paper as the D Telegraph does for Malcolm Pein. This would permit far more topical content. Ray was hamstrung in reporting, e.g. on British and even the World Championship, because Times 2 does not carry yesterday's news. I asked the editor how football fans would feel if their team's results were reported days or even weeks later. Never had a reply. No doubt chess is seen more as a parlour game than a national and international sport.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:41 pm

I don't think we can take for granted the daily column will be replaced like for like.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:16 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:34 pm
Ray was hamstrung in reporting, e.g. on British and even the World Championship, because Times 2 does not carry yesterday's news.
Not sure this makes sense - the column just lagged behind in reporting the games.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:09 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:16 pm
Paul Habershon wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:34 pm
Ray was hamstrung in reporting, e.g. on British and even the World Championship, because Times 2 does not carry yesterday's news.
Not sure this makes sense - the column just lagged behind in reporting the games.
I suspect that Times 2 requires chess column copy well in advance. It's on a games and puzzles page which is not time sensitive.