Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alex Holowczak

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:59 pm

Colin Patterson wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:59 am
Double whammy on tonight's American Football highlights (Minnesota Vikings vs Dallas Cowboys):

The commentators first waxed lyrical about Cowboys' Wide Receiver Amari Cooper being- "a quiet guy, who rarely talks ... always practicing his chess in the locker room ... a real student of the game."

Then later, as if shackled to their previous comments, came the inevitable likening of the football game to - "a really interesting game of chess."
You think that's bad - I'm expecting the commentators to come out with all sorts of puns about the Vikings Tight End in their game against the Packers on 23rd December.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:01 pm

Latest Private Eye (1509) page 8, refers to Ray Keene retiring from Times.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:44 am

Oh that's interesting, would like to see it if anybody's able to scan.

EDIT: and here it is
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:17 am

Not sure it counts as a media comment, but I noticed a chess set with game in progress was on a table in Len McCluskey's ('Unite' union) office when he was interviewed on BBC 6 p.m. News last night (about 17 minutes in). Position looked plausible too, as best my eyes could tell (which wasn't too much)

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:20 pm

He was mentioned on this site recently as a genuine chess fan.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:44 pm

On this thread, indeed .
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:54 am

Etan Thomas, writing on Colin Kaepernick, gives us
[you] have to tip your hat to the NFL’s brilliance in making a chess move Bobby Fischer would admire
and concludes with
It’s checkmate for the NFL.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:53 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:54 am
Etan Thomas, writing on Colin Kaepernick....
concludes with
In case anyone isn't sure, he is saying that they have won.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:34 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:53 am
JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:54 am
Etan Thomas, writing on Colin Kaepernick....
concludes with
In case anyone isn't sure, he is saying that they have won.
The spanner in the works was that at half an hour's notice, the venue was switched to somewhere the media could attend, without Kaepernick telling the NFL or any of the 25 teams that had gathered at the original venue.

A cynic might think Kaepernick was more interested in being the centre of attention than finding a team.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:47 am

Or alternatively, that his thinking is like that of Etan Thomas, and so he called the NFL's bluff; why did the NFL want to exclude the media, why did they refuse Colin's request to move it to a Tuesday when all the teams, with their top scouts, could attend? Pretending it isn't about race isn't sensible
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:17 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:47 am
Or alternatively, that his thinking is like that of Etan Thomas, and so he called the NFL's bluff; why did the NFL want to exclude the media, why did they refuse Colin's request to move it to a Tuesday when all the teams, with their top scouts, could attend? Pretending it isn't about race isn't sensible
Or alternatively, why is the NFL bothering to do this for one free agent, when they don't do it for any of the others?

The NFL doesn't sign players; the GMs of the franchises do. I don't think the NFL is conspiring against Kaepernick. I think there are a number of reasons why GMs aren't signing Kaepernick:
- They're not in the market for a Quarterback. E.g. the Packers don't really want to pay the money Kaepernick would undoubtedly want to play backup.
- They don't have cap space.
- They don't want their team to be the centre of the media circus that will surround Kaepernick playing for them, for fear it will disrupt the team.
- They think their fanbase don't want him to play for their team, due to Kaepernick's anthem protests etc. last time. He certainly divided fan loyalties in his last season at the 49ers.

Fundamentally, if a team doesn't want to sign a particular player for whatever reason, what can be done about it? The teams don't even need to give a reason as to why they're not signing a particular free agent in normal circumstances.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:14 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:34 am

A cynic might think Kaepernick was more interested in being the centre of attention than finding a team.
Yeah, that's why he spent three years out of the game for speaking out, he wanted to be the centre of attention.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:03 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:14 pm
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:34 am

Yeah, that's why he spent three years out of the game for speaking out, he wanted to be the centre of attention.
I think he spent three years out of the NFL so far because the league's teams regard him as too controversial, and so they won't sign him no matter how good he is.

In terms of getting back into the NFL, he had a venue and 25 NFL teams were present at it ... and decided to go elsewhere at half an hour's notice, where 0 NFL teams were present. This doesn't sound like the action someone would take if their objective was to get in the NFL. However, if their objective was to raise awareness for him and his cause because he's still really good and NFL teams should sign him, then it would. Actually, if that is the aim then I think that's fair enough.

The whole timing of the workout is strange. It's Week 11, and most teams aren't really looking to sign starting Quarterbacks; they're either all-in with what they've got, or they're happy to tank the rest of the season to get better draft picks.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:13 pm

Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:16 pm

Well, whoever said humour had to be funny
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com