European Club Cup

The very latest International round up of English news.
Nick Ivell

Re: European Club Cup

Post by Nick Ivell » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:53 pm

Is it just me, or were there no winning chances whatever for David in that endgame?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:21 pm

Nick Ivell wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:53 pm
Is it just me, or were there no winning chances whatever for David in that endgame?
You perhaps assume he saw something. Otherwise maybe he was just doing it to annoy an arbiter or arbiters. I did notice that Sasikiran used so little time that he had accumulated a spare hour by the end.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Of course I can see that White had any advantage that was going, but it's hard to imagine that this kind of wood pushing is good for the game.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:16 pm

Difficult to say. If I was in a probably drawn position, and moving my king from h1 to a1 and back again gave me enough time to decide if it was definitely drawn with no risk, I would do it. If I saw I could extend the game to move 200, I might do that too, for the same reasons I might play a line with underpromotion when there are other wins.

I'd be surprised if the arbiter was trying to make a point, or responding to a perceived slight. I think we take for granted in England that arbiters know enough about chess not to distract someone still playing. But at large team events there always seem to be stories of this type.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:58 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:21 pm
Nick Ivell wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:53 pm
You perhaps assume he saw something. Otherwise maybe he was just doing it to annoy an arbiter or arbiters. I did notice that Sasikiran used so little time that he had accumulated a spare hour by the end.
His team were one down in the match with one game left so playing on had some logic. When facing someone of Harikrishna's strength it must be fairly rare to have such little risk albeit admittedly very minimal chances to make any progress.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:30 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:16 pm
But at large team events there always seem to be stories of this type.
I had a good one in the 2002 Bled Olympiad.

The rest of my team having lost quickly and miserably, I played for a couple of hours with the arbiter breathing garlic into my right ear.

At the end of the game, my opponent found the remarkable resource 50...Ne2-b4+, removing the c3 pawn en passant ( well, he had to, otherwise it would have taken his knight ). I said to the arbiter, who was still three inches away, "illegal move". In panic, he ran out of the room, never to be seen again.

In another match we arrived to find that the arbiters had set up the pieces with all of the knights and bishops the wrong way round. When we tried to correct them there were furious shouts of "no touch, no touch!".

Somalia.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NickFaulks on Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:26 pm

Stories of some of the inexperienced arbiters, especially in the past are legion.

Phil Giulian made a claim by repetition. His arbiter did exactly the same as the one in Nick's game.

In a game his wife, Rosie, had she asked for a continuation scoresheet on reaching move 60 to be told she could not get one until after her flag had fallen. (It was 20 moves an hour at that point.) That 'arbiter' at least apologised the following day.

At the last Olympiad though, to confirm that they are still amongst us. Black played his 75th move at which point the 'arbiter' stepped in and declared the game drawn!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:40 am

Good draw yesterday for Dan Fernandez, playing for Gent, against Vidit (2722)

Mickey white v Matlakov today, with Gawain black v Rodstein, as their team Padova has a 1 point lead

David white for Valerenga v Dreev
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:35 pm

Worth a look:

An amazing game at the European Club Cup 2019

(Ivan Saric vs Aydin Suleymanli in Round 5)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:40 am

A good spot Chris, it's a very entertaining game.

I. Saric - A. Suleymanli, Round 5, European Club Cup 2019

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:40 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:40 am
Good draw yesterday for Dan Fernandez, playing for Gent, against Vidit (2722)

Mickey white v Matlakov today, with Gawain black v Rodstein, as their team Padova has a 1 point lead

David white for Valerenga v Dreev
David & Mickey drew, with a good win for Gawain

Padova are 2 points clear; Mickey has black against Andreikin, Gawain black against Inarkiev

Pairings
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:27 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:40 am
with a good win for Gawain
Therein lies a story, and yet another example of Gawain's amazing resourcefulness. He was busted, playing essentially a piece down, but found chances which led to perpetual check. His opponent, short of time, tried too hard to escape and got mated. A great result when I think many players, including really good ones, might have gone down without a fight.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:12 pm

Padova have won the final round, defeating the top seeds Alkaloid from Macedonia by 3.5-2.5 with five draws (including Mickey and Gawain) and a win on bottom board.

Padova have won all seven matches, so gold for our intrepid pair to go with the world teams silver and the Euroteams bronze.

The board list is also showing Gawain (5/6) as the Board 5 individual gold medallist. Mickey totalled 4/6.

Congratulations to them, especially since both have shown resilience to recover from spells of poor form earlier in the year.

David Howell was filling in on Board 1 for his Norwegian team, led last time by Magnus Carlsen, and scored 3/6.

Latest live ratings: Adams 2701, Sadler 2692, Howell 2686, McShane 2680, Jones 2676.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:15 am

Great results! (Obviously the chemist in me was cheering on Alkaloid though...)